How do you deal with someone who likes you? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How do you deal with someone who likes you?

IF they tell me directly that they're interested in me I just smile but with that, they immediately know that I'm not interested.

The way the thread is titled, its as if it is a problem that a person likes you. Is this the case?

if i don't like that person back, i avoid speaking to him :I.

How about just being honest? Say: I am not interested in you in the romantical fashion, but I think you're still the cat's meow.

If you do not like the person at all. Be nice anyway. You don't have to sex everyone or be friends with everyone but being nice may benefit you in the future anyway as well as not crush another person.

I'm another for honesty. That way the person can't think up any excuses for their or your behavior. They know they've got no way in and it is best to give 'er up. Being up front about not being interested will probably benefit them in the long run.

Just be sure that you're really clear and be polite! All that typical jazz.

Wow. To all the people who say: I avoid / ignore / run away from them.
That's mean to the other person in my opinion.
But on the other hand, I'm biased and you're probably right that it's best on longterm. (Don't really know how to say this in English.)

Edit: Well, okay I should tell you guys I don't have any personal experience with turning people down.
For most people, I'm just 'the funny guy'. The guy who rambles on with his crazy theories.
God I hate labels.
And no, I'm not looking for confirmation. If I would, I would've posted a real photo in the member photos thread.
I just said this so you guys know where I'm coming from, and that my opinion isn't valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. To all the people who say: I avoid / ignore / run away from them.
That's mean to the other person in my opinion.
But on the other hand, I'm biased and you're probably right that it's best on longterm. (Don't really know how to say this in English.)

It is very mean :( I think I do it because I am afraid and it kind of makes me feel like I lose all sense of control.

Awe you are lucky never having to turn anyone down! 'The funny guy who rambles on with his crazy theories' hahah. To me that sounds soo appealing! ^^ :)

Last edited:
If I don't like them back? I tell them right away. In a nice way. I really don't want to put people on the wrong track when it's about something like this.

I kinda had a problem with this when the guy was my best friend. I actually knew he liked me as more than a friend before he said so, but I just couldn't tell him. I've been avoiding the subject for a while, and I'm not proud of it. I hate it to hurt people like that.

Ah, my catch went with "IGNORE UNTIL THREAT SELF DESTRUCTS". What a charming young lady. Still think she's awesome though, everyone is.

Yes, being honest is the ideal way to end things.

Sadly most people can't accept/tolerate the truth. Some people I have honestly told them I'm not interested in them and this is what happens:

ME: Sorry X, I'm not interested in you

X: Why?

Me: You're beautiful and all but I'm not attracted to you

X: What?! Are you gay?

Me: *Facepalm*

It took me a long time to be able to do this, but if someone tells me that they like me like me, I tell them right away that I am not interested. Of course, I am as nice as I can be about it, and I explain to them exactly why I am not interested.

If they don't tell me that they like me, but it is pretty clear that they do. It is a little more diffucult. I usually am very distant from them, and very distant in communication. Most people get the point.

^^ What Indigo said. Honesty = best policy.

But I can also relate to what Last Dawn said about some people not being able to take it gracefully. For a couple of weeks, I've had an older gentleman keep texting and sending me flowers at work after I told him, no less than three times, that I didn't see this working (he was fourteen years my senior). Often, the 'rejected' party doesn't understand what an awkward position they put you in. Guilt trips don't help either.

Or ex-boyfriends and threats of suicide. But that's too depressing to put in a post.

Last edited:
My asexuality allows people to accept it easier. :D

I don't have to say 'I'm not attracted to you', I say 'I'm not attracted to anyone' and then after that when I mention there would be no sex, ever, most scadaddle!

I don't have to say 'I'm not attracted to you', I say 'I'm not attracted to anyone' and then after that when I mention there would be no sex, ever, most scadaddle!

Hahah you don't stop surprising me... Personal question for you: You don't believe in love and certaintly not in Marriage. So you probably aren't saving yourself for marriage - but still there is no sex? haha overanalysing it perhaps ...

Really? Actually, when I'm in love I'm not really thinking about sex.. I'd rather cuddle, be together and talk.

How can someone who runs like hell in order to not get hurt, deal with it more appropriately?

Face your fears. Sit down, face to face, and let them know that you're just not interested. It's better to tell them sooner or late. For some reason, the anticipation of the other person's answer often leads the other party's feelings to deepen. It's not nice to put off telling them, and letting their feelings increase while you bide your time.

Cut the cord as soon as you can.

I usually slip in a line like that will throw them off my scent
something like today :

"I went to this psychic and she told me that my woman will be 25-26 and already have a kid"
"But thats not me!"
*crickets*