honesty about self | INFJ Forum

honesty about self

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Is it easy or hard for you to be honest about yourself?

Why?

Easy. Not being honest about yourself gets you nowhere, no progress, no improvements.

Reactions: Gaze
Both.
It's easy to say what I believe is true. Once, I've said it though I begin to question it and the more I dig the less I know for certain so, what I say is probably only true for that particular moment.

It's a wonder that I'm not institutionalized.

Hard.

1. It's hard to be honest about myself TO myself. :lol:

2. Hmm ...how to say this....I'm one of those kinds of people who don't follow the rules because they're the rules. As such, I'm pretty open to more of the full range of how humans behave. When I behave against the grain (the rules) I don't share that about myself. My reasons would be completely alien to most of the people I know and they would not understand my motives. I don't get upset about what the majority get upset about. For example: I could care less about Casey Anthony and her case. On the other hand I care a great deal about the Exxon pipeline leaking oil up in the Montana Yellowstone River Basin. I didn't see one post in FB about that....:eek:hwell: I lie; I steal; I cheat; I break the law; all according to societal rules and laws....Not mine.

Reactions: Gaze and not sure
It really depends on what I'm being honest about. There are a lot of things that I'm very open and upfront about, and a lot of things that I'm not. -shrug-

Easy. Because not being honest with myself isn't a good thing to do. I'd prefer to see things as they really are and being honest aids that better than not being honest.

Internally, I can be honest most time, but on outside, to others about myself - another story.

I'm pretty honest with myself, and sometimes, too honest about myself with others. At the same time I'm pretty hard on myself.

I think it depends on what context you are speaking in.

Internally: I can be very harsh toward myself and my inner critic can be brutally honest. I will poke and prod my motives and actions to better understand why I feel the way I do. I don't allow myself wiggle room to be dishonest.

Externally: If we define honesty as being open and forthright about myself to others I would have to say no. Not in the sense that I say dishonest things but more in the sense that I am not willing to speak of deeply personal things to many people. Omission is something I engage in quite a bit. I am very reserved and private about my inner self and rarely share that part of myself casually. I don't have problems stating my opinions and such but I usually won't speak about my feelings, desires, dreams, and other personal things.

Reactions: Jana
It's hard to explain but yes and no.

Honest about myself meaning I will admit when I've done wrong or have made a mistake.

But sometimes my perception of myself is probably more distorted than accurate b/c I am so in my head.
Like I'll think other people see me like how I see myself, which is probably not always true.

Default!!!

It's easy. At some point I made a practice of it; however, it is not always a good idea.

Mental health might be improved by existing in a state of denial as is the case with most of humanity. Humans who refuse to face their own flaws can be happier about who they are, even if that perception of themselves is fabricated. This works great so long as they never realize. I meet people like this too, and I see it right away. The fakers who have lied to themselves so long, they can't see who they are. I know those people better than they know themselves.

While I think being honest with yourself is extremely important, and I always try to be as honest with myself as I can, I don't think its always easy - it depends on the situation - sometimes it is so much easy to cope if I am not honest with myself.

Hello, my name is Majesty and I'm addicted to lying to myself.

Reactions: Nixie
It really depends on the situation.... For the most part, it is relatively easy for me to be honest, but I don't want to reveal everything about myself to just anyone. I guess that I am an honest person...

I just choose to only show small-parts of myself

most people don't want to hear about the deepened truths... People would rather do small talk, which is upsetting because I have such a care for people

Reactions: JGirl and Gaze
I think it's also important to underline that "being honest about one's self" shouldn't prevent someone from improving one's self. There are many examples in history of people who managed to overcome their deficiencies through hard work and practice. Michael Heseltine is a good example.

I also disagree with "living in denial" being a healthy state. You have to face your weaknesses. Only that will make you stronger. If you run away from these things, you will always be superficial.

I'll have to come down on the "it is and it isn't" side of this one, too. If we value honesty (interior and otherwise) and the freedom that can bring, then obstacles are worked through and we can enter into that mode in a more easy fashion....fine. The problem (from my perspective) is that our honesty is frequently not fully informed...we are honest about our truths, awarenesses, but also about our illusions. The process of moving past the illusory is a more challenging task. It is truly a process of discovery that lasts a lifetime.

That said, a spirit of interior trust and well-being that allows honesty to flourish serves us well as we encounter illusion. We gain new awareness and, hopefully, embrace it.

Is it easy or hard for you to be honest about yourself?

Why?
it depends. it's easy for me to be honest about myself, but i have a difficult time expressing it in a way that others don't find intimidating or unacceptable iin some way.
i'm told i'm too complex. i don't know what to do with that statement lol

It's easy for me to say, understand, or advocate, anything to anybody, whether honest or dishonest.

I could easily do immoral or dishonest things if I wanted, it's just generally I don't want to.

Because it's painful to realize you aren't living up to your ideal self!

I had an ex-boyfriend tell me once,
"You really dislike people. You try not to, but you really dislike them."
And that pissed me off a bit. But he was kind of right.

Reactions: the and Jill Hives