Have you ever had a significant head injury? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Have you ever had a significant head injury?

Have you ever had a significant head injury?

• INFJ or INTJ: Yes

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • INFJ or INTJ: No

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • All other types: Yes

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • All other types: No

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters
No, I haven't. I had a couple of close calls (sliding backwards down a T-Lift and narrowly avoiding hitting every bar down; getting hit by a car and thrown off my bike) but no real knocks on my nogging. It's actually uncanny how I've escaped relatively unscathed everywhere all these years. No battle scars, despite a number of extremely stupid stunts and contact sports. I actually feel like I'm missing out.

I am exponentially curious as to why you are asking, VH.

Reactions: Asa
I voted yes in the other types (since I type as INFP).

age 10: mild concussion from a playground injury.
age 13: severe concussion from a beating.

and (dunno if it is relevant)

age 40: ischemic stroke in my cerebellum (with no sequelae thank goodness!)

cheers,
Ian

I don't think I've ever had a concussion, but I did run into the corner of a.... thing (the name escapes me at the moment) when I was about 7. My head was bleeding for a little while and I freaked out, but I just got a small cut. I bled like a stuck pig since the scalp is a rather vascular part of the body.

A little over a year ago I was carrying a computer out for a customer, slipped on some ice, and hit my head pretty hard. I didn't pass out, but as soon as I got up I started bleeding. They called an ambulance and I had to go to the hospital. I was working at the time, and if anything I was more pissed off that this interrupted my day. I called them and told my coworker I'd be back in 30 minutes. His response?

"Dude... go to the hospital."

I had to get staples in my head. That shit sucked. The best part is that if I wouldn't have had insurance, it would've cost me a few hundred dollars for a few staples in my head. The doctor asked me if the lady's computer was okay...

"To be perfectly honest with you, I really couldn't care less."

"Fair enough..."

Come to think of it, my noggin has taken a floggin' more than once. No concussion to my recollection, but plenty of roughhousing.

Last edited:
I am exponentially curious as to why you are asking, VH.

I'm developing a hypothesis that the cingulate system (which is showing itself to be highly related to Ni) is not naturally capable of being a dominant function, as it is essentially at the center of the limbic system (which has time and again shown itself to be highly related to Ne, as well as Fi). In order for the cingulate system to take over, something may have to force this transition.

I'm developing a hypothesis that the cingulate system (which is showing itself to be highly related to Ni) is not naturally capable of being a dominant function, as it is essentially at the center of the limbic system (which has time and again shown itself to be highly related to Ne, as well as Fi). In order for the cingulate system to take over, something may have to force this transition.

this calls for bumper stickers, "dropped on head = INFJ"

this calls for bumper stickers, "dropped on head = INFJ"

I'm assuming the cause is cognitive trauma. This may or may not be physical trauma. There are mental and emotional possibilities for causation. I'm just trying to rule out head trauma as the primary cause, if my hypothesis has any merit.

The limbic system is strongly associated with emotion, and I believe that anything that can cause the limbic system to subdue itself can leave the cingulate system to 'take over'. I'm just looking for pattern in the causation. If there is enough of it, this hypothesis might have some merit. My initial assumption for this is emotional trauma where a person is forced into a situation in early development to suppress their emotional selves. If people were forced in early development (when the limbic system is developing) then they could in fact end up Ni dominant, by forcing the cingulate system to compensate. However, due to the way the brain operates, I'm also assuming that physical trauma could cause this effect as well.

Therefore, if you were going to make bumper stickers, it would be something like "Dropped on Head = INTJ or INFJ".

Last edited:
When I was 12 or so, I was running for a race. I beat my friend and my brother. When I looked back while claiming victory in the end (still running), I turned back amy head ran straight into this:

The side of a metal door:

411%20WW%20-%20HM%20w%20Vision%20Kit%20&%20Hardware.JPG

Bang.

:)

Reactions: WellNoWonder
I'm assuming the cause is cognitive trauma. This may or may not be physical trauma. There are mental and emotional possibilities for causation. I'm just trying to rule out head trauma as the primary cause, if my hypothesis has any merit.

The limbic system is strongly associated with emotion, and I believe that anything that can cause the limbic system to subdue itself can leave the cingulate system to 'take over'. I'm just looking for pattern in the causation. If there is enough of it, this hypothesis might have some merit.

You would need a larger test size and more accurate testing. Even if ruling possible types of trauma out.

When I was 12 or so, I was running for a race. I beat my friend and my brother. When I looked back while claiming victory in the end (still running), I turned back amy head ran straight into this:

The side of a metal door:

411%20WW%20-%20HM%20w%20Vision%20Kit%20&%20Hardware.JPG

Bang.

:)

that's nothing, my mother drove home from work one day and a pigeon flew in from the car window and smacked into her head, fell into the back seat and died.

how often does that happen?

No.

The closest thing I can even come up with is that I get migraines all the time and have chronic sinusitus. Not really the same thing, though.

Last edited:
Not sure if it counts as serious, but when I was about 7 or 8 I ran head first into a sharp doorhandle and pierced straight through to my skull.
I don't think I got a concussion though...

I've had a ton of small head injuries, I'm always lucky enough to avoid something that should probably be serious ^^"

that's nothing, my mother drove home from work one day and a pigeon flew in from the car window and smacked into her head, fell into the back seat and died.

how often does that happen?

What are the chances of that?

I hope your mother and the bird are both resting in peace.

I had a head injury from a wood and metal old fashioned playground swing meant for small children. I stupidly walked behind it. I have had numerous minor head injuries though.
Just a thought. Why not include seriously high fevers, and/or head injuries acquired at birth, for example forcep assisted deliveries, as a potential causal or associated event for INFJ development.

I am curious how many Ni dominant people have had a significant head injury in their lives, due to a correlation my INTJ friend noticed.

If you have had a significant head injury, such as a concussion or worse, please also comment here with your age when it happened, and the extent of the injury.

Thanks!

Yes, Ihad a subarachnoid hemorrhage from a car accident in 1994. Left the car seeking help, and passed out in the snow. I remained there for 6 hours. When I was found, I was 72 degrees, blue, and near death, I clinically died for about a half an hour, while they were rewarming me. So not only did I have the hemorrhage, but I also suffered extreme hypoxia. I was placed into a drug induced coma for a month, and after waking, I couldn’t speak or walk, for another 4 months.

I have met other INFJ’s in brain injury forums. Although I have always had this personality, my brain injury has increased these traits. There seem to be a lot of others here as well. Does anyone have any thoughts about a correlation between the two?

I was 24, and had just finished college, when I had my TBI. I will soon be 49. Forgot to include it.

Question, my first post was obviously a mistake. How is a post edited, or removed?