Have you ever had a significant head injury? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Have you ever had a significant head injury?

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by VH, Feb 4, 2010.

Share This Page

?
  1. INFJ or INTJ: Yes

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. INFJ or INTJ: No

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. All other types: Yes

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. All other types: No

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by VH
  1. sassafras

sassafras snazzy [insert blank]

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    No, I haven't. I had a couple of close calls (sliding backwards down a T-Lift and narrowly avoiding hitting every bar down; getting hit by a car and thrown off my bike) but no real knocks on my nogging. It's actually uncanny how I've escaped relatively unscathed everywhere all these years. No battle scars, despite a number of extremely stupid stunts and contact sports. I actually feel like I'm missing out.

I am exponentially curious as to why you are asking, VH.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Asa likes this.
  2. aeon

aeon Ooh, a bunny!
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    I voted yes in the other types (since I type as INFP).

age 10: mild concussion from a playground injury.
    age 13: severe concussion from a beating.

and (dunno if it is relevant)

age 40: ischemic stroke in my cerebellum (with no sequelae thank goodness!)

cheers,
    Ian

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. J. Cardigan

J. Cardigan Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INxx
    I don't think I've ever had a concussion, but I did run into the corner of a.... thing (the name escapes me at the moment) when I was about 7. My head was bleeding for a little while and I freaked out, but I just got a small cut. I bled like a stuck pig since the scalp is a rather vascular part of the body.

A little over a year ago I was carrying a computer out for a customer, slipped on some ice, and hit my head pretty hard. I didn't pass out, but as soon as I got up I started bleeding. They called an ambulance and I had to go to the hospital. I was working at the time, and if anything I was more pissed off that this interrupted my day. I called them and told my coworker I'd be back in 30 minutes. His response?

"Dude... go to the hospital."

I had to get staples in my head. That shit sucked. The best part is that if I wouldn't have had insurance, it would've cost me a few hundred dollars for a few staples in my head. The doctor asked me if the lady's computer was okay...

"To be perfectly honest with you, I really couldn't care less."

"Fair enough..."

Come to think of it, my noggin has taken a floggin' more than once. No concussion to my recollection, but plenty of roughhousing.

#23 J. Cardigan, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  4. OP
    VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    I'm developing a hypothesis that the cingulate system (which is showing itself to be highly related to Ni) is not naturally capable of being a dominant function, as it is essentially at the center of the limbic system (which has time and again shown itself to be highly related to Ne, as well as Fi). In order for the cingulate system to take over, something may have to force this transition.

5. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    this calls for bumper stickers, "dropped on head = INFJ"

6. OP
    VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    I'm assuming the cause is cognitive trauma. This may or may not be physical trauma. There are mental and emotional possibilities for causation. I'm just trying to rule out head trauma as the primary cause, if my hypothesis has any merit.

The limbic system is strongly associated with emotion, and I believe that anything that can cause the limbic system to subdue itself can leave the cingulate system to 'take over'. I'm just looking for pattern in the causation. If there is enough of it, this hypothesis might have some merit. My initial assumption for this is emotional trauma where a person is forced into a situation in early development to suppress their emotional selves. If people were forced in early development (when the limbic system is developing) then they could in fact end up Ni dominant, by forcing the cingulate system to compensate. However, due to the way the brain operates, I'm also assuming that physical trauma could cause this effect as well.

Therefore, if you were going to make bumper stickers, it would be something like "Dropped on Head = INTJ or INFJ".

#26 VH, Feb 5, 2010
  7. Timeless

Timeless Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    When I was 12 or so, I was running for a race. I beat my friend and my brother. When I looked back while claiming victory in the end (still running), I turned back amy head ran straight into this:

The side of a metal door:

[​IMG]

Bang.

:)

WellNoWonder likes this.
  8. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    You would need a larger test size and more accurate testing. Even if ruling possible types of trauma out.

9. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    that's nothing, my mother drove home from work one day and a pigeon flew in from the car window and smacked into her head, fell into the back seat and died.

how often does that happen?

10. under skies

under skies Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    No.

The closest thing I can even come up with is that I get migraines all the time and have chronic sinusitus. Not really the same thing, though.

#30 under skies, Feb 5, 2010
  11. laurie

laurie Snowblind in Dreamland

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Not sure if it counts as serious, but when I was about 7 or 8 I ran head first into a sharp doorhandle and pierced straight through to my skull.
    I don't think I got a concussion though...

I've had a ton of small head injuries, I'm always lucky enough to avoid something that should probably be serious ^^"

12. Matariki

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    N/A
    Enneagram:
    N/A
    What are the chances of that?

I hope your mother and the bird are both resting in peace.

13. OP
    VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    I'm just checking to see if there is any semblance of a trend here.

Looks like a maybe. 2/3 of the INFJs and INTJs have had a head injury... but then again so have the non-INxJs.

14. shannishannon

shannishannon Saponifier
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w6
    I had a head injury from a wood and metal old fashioned playground swing meant for small children. I stupidly walked behind it. I have had numerous minor head injuries though.
    Just a thought. Why not include seriously high fevers, and/or head injuries acquired at birth, for example forcep assisted deliveries, as a potential causal or associated event for INFJ development.

15. Gr33nmind

Gr33nmind Three

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ-T

16. Gr33nmind

Gr33nmind Three

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ-T
    Yes, Ihad a subarachnoid hemorrhage from a car accident in 1994. Left the car seeking help, and passed out in the snow. I remained there for 6 hours. When I was found, I was 72 degrees, blue, and near death, I clinically died for about a half an hour, while they were rewarming me. So not only did I have the hemorrhage, but I also suffered extreme hypoxia. I was placed into a drug induced coma for a month, and after waking, I couldn’t speak or walk, for another 4 months.

I have met other INFJ’s in brain injury forums. Although I have always had this personality, my brain injury has increased these traits. There seem to be a lot of others here as well. Does anyone have any thoughts about a correlation between the two?

Asa likes this.
  17. Gr33nmind

Gr33nmind Three

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ-T
    I was 24, and had just finished college, when I had my TBI. I will soon be 49. Forgot to include it.

Question, my first post was obviously a mistake. How is a post edited, or removed?

Asa likes this.