Have I been using Si all this time?? | INFJ Forum

Have I been using Si all this time??

xizzax

Community Member
Aug 3, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
urgh, my post just got destroyed so i'm rewriting it.

This is something i highly doubt as I seem to have a general distaste for sensing functions. in fact, whenever I take tests I seem to always score lowest in those areas.

though there has always been some things that have stuck out that i have noticed... and i notice that i probably use it more than I would like.

examples of Si use:

-whenever i listen to music i unconsciously remember the songs, and can repeat the song exactly as i had heard it easily.

- i like to collect 'facts' and 'data' on things that interest me (maybe this could be Se?) i'm very obsessed with systems (like the mbti/or astrology)

edit: low on time will add more later)

any opinions so far? the other points will be added later. i think they'll probably be more important.

This interests me as well. I always get the lowest scores on Si/Se on the cognitive functions tests. However, the MBTI tests give me only a slight preference of N over S. I'm fully aware that tests are pretty much unreliable.

So I'm interested in what other people's opinions are on this subject as well.

If you back down more easily - Si, otherwise - Se.

Some of the worst conflicts in history began with someone trying to push Se.

"They may torture my body, break my bones, even kill me, then they will have my dead body. NOT MY OBEDIENCE!"
- if you relate to this - Se.

-if you are more like "yeah, whatever" - Si.

I use Si much more then I thought I have in the past. It is infact, my second function. Singling out Si on it's own is actually kind of tricky, because it depends on the function it is filtered through, Fe or Te. I primarly filter it through Fe.

The things that made me realise how much I use Si is how bound I am to social rule. For the life of me, I can't break it. I can bend it (because I am an Ni primary), but not break. I don't like to rock the boat at all, I avoid it as much as possible. I try to create harmony with everything. I am also extremely anal about appearing social acceptable. Lateness bugs the hell out of me. If something is out of place, or out of line, I will notice it, and want to put it back the way it was. I detest change of any kind, and I will flip if I was not given forwarning about it.

Really, you can see if you use Si more if you reflect on how you intereact with people, not so much with basic actions.

I have always neglected my Si to tell you the truth, denying the fact that I use it quite often in different areas of my life, I certainly use it a lot more than Se(although is still my 4th highest function).I get a lot of Si moments as I love to categorze differet things, I also enjoy using some expereinces as a base. Si can really be a fun process to learn, just that is not common for many INFJ's, yet being the introverted person that I am my introverted sensing is much higher than my extroverted one.

Last edited:
If you back down more easily - Si, otherwise - Se.

Some of the worst conflicts in history began with someone trying to push Se.

"They may torture my body, break my bones, even kill me, then they will have my dead body. NOT MY OBEDIENCE!"
- if you relate to this - Se.

-if you are more like "yeah, whatever" - Si.
hmm, when i was younger definitely Se; I have TRAINED myself to back down and let things be.

referring to indigosensor's statement about how Si is used to reflect upon your interactions with others; i can definitely relate.

i would like to mention though that my function order is very much leaning away from Si (probably as far as possible... ) it's my least developed function.
i like 'rocking the boat' by saying things that might get people thinking/offended hahah but in a way keep the integrity of the group together.

ok, other instances where i think i use Si:
- it comes out almost unconsciously... i can be sitting around and i get an impression of something... but sometimes it comes in a very sensor way (imo)
for example, i can be sitting around and suddenly i get a FLAVOR in my mouth... and smell that suddenly lurks from the back of my mind... and then it disappears... strange...

- i have the urge to do things in a systemized/exacting way... but my actual self is much more fluid. :/

- i do have a theory that this probably relates to who i was surrounded by during my childhood.
i grew up in a Si dominant family, where what has always be, WILL/SHOULD always be. it kind of annoys me actually when people follow tradition blindly.
now, when i was younger i have a feeling that i might have followed along with this had i continuned to live with this (main family) but my parents separated and i ended up living in a different environment, one where i learned to depend on myself.
i think eventually i would've challenged the structure, but as a child my love for my family was stronger than any desire to break authority.

- i actually don't mind tradition; it gives me fuzzy feelings to be with a family doing a traditional thing. but everything in moderation; there has to be a reason for everything...and again, following things blindly.. is something i can't do.

Please correct me on anything I get wrong, but Si reminds me very much of sentimental notions. It can be traditional, because tradition brings fond memories (Not in all cases of course). It is like a packrat of memories, coming into contact with something can bring back old memories and you can possibly even lose yourself from the outside world. It compares past similarities and differences to the current one.

I agree with IS on his Si, he has mentioned before about memory recall, which seems to fit very much with Si. A person with very strong Si would have TONS of old memories, you could mention a time and they may remember what the weather was like, what you were wearing, what music was playing, what perfume you were wearing, etc.

I see Se as much more fundamental, it is what you touch,taste,see,hear, and smell. It doesn't have anything to do with processing the data you take in, it is simply the observation of the senses.

Dragging your fingers along a wall to feel the texture, touching something when you see it, smelling something new, being drawn to, or avoiding, things that intensely stimulate your senses.

Last edited:
Reactions: PastelpinkPuppy
i have the urge to do things in a systemized/exacting way... but my actual self is much more fluid. :/

I may be mistaken, but this sounds like introverted thinking, especially in infj's.

Do you recall more detailed concrete information from these various smells or tastes?

It seems as though Si dominant users will simply connect stimuli/object/person A to stimuli/object/person B, without giving it much more thought. We all connect this detail to that and whatnot, but it seems you enjoy taking gulps of detailed information when the subject is meaningful. It also seems like you will look in between that grey area of connecting A to B. To question and make a home in that grey area seems more along the lines of an intuitive personality.

Please correct me on anything I get wrong, but Si reminds me very much of sentimental notions. It can be traditional, because tradition brings fond memories (Not in all cases of course). It is like a packrat of memories, coming into contact with something can bring back old memories and you can possibly even lose yourself from the outside world. It compares past similarities and differences to the current one.

I agree with IS on his Si, he has mentioned before about memory recall, which seems to fit very much with Si.

I see Se as much more fundamental, it is what you touch,taste,see,hear, and smell. It doesn't have anything to do with processing the data you take in, it is simply the observation of the senses.

Dragging your fingers along a wall to feel the texture, touching something when you see it, smelling something new, being drawn to, or avoiding, things that intensely stimulate your senses.

Exactly!, which is why I use Si a lot more then Se actually I just retook the test stating Si was my second strongest function, reason being is that I am very aware of my experiences, my past, I always reflect upon it and all the memmories I have had for hours, I just love to put all those details toguether into a picture, on the other hand, I fail at Se badl because well I failed to notice a lot of obvious things in my surroundings, and I am a very clumsy person lol, I keep on dropping everything, and my senses have screwed me up a lot of times.Also Ni is similar to Si in the sense that Ni interconnects past events with future possible events while Si does the same thing but in the present.

Reactions: PastelpinkPuppy
I may be mistaken, but this sounds like introverted thinking, especially in infj's.

Do you recall more detailed concrete information from these various smells or tastes?

It seems as though Si dominant users will simply connect stimuli/object/person A to stimuli/object/person B, without giving it much more thought. We all connect this detail to that and whatnot, but it seems you enjoy taking gulps of detailed information when the subject is meaningful. It also seems like you will look in between that grey area of connecting A to B. To question and make a home in that grey area seems more along the lines of an intuitive personality.

Ti is a judging function first of all, while Si is a perceiving one, we used Si to gather information from our experiences while we use Ti in our daily lives, Si is how we get the information, Ti is how we apply it.

Here is a potential scenario showing Si vs Se.

Two people see a co-worker walk by with a red sweater.

Si: "Wow ______ is actually wearing red! I have never noticed her wear red before. Come to think about it, I don't she has ever worn a sweater before!"

Se: "That sweater looks sooooo comfortable, I like that color of red too. I wonder what material it is made out of?"

Ti is a judging function first of all, while Si is a perceiving one, we used Si to gather information from our experiences while we use Ti in our daily lives, Si is how we get the information, Ti is how we apply it.

I understand this.

i have the urge to do things in a systemized/exacting way... but my actual self is much more fluid. :/

This just came off as someone trying to further develop their less dominant functions. Ti is an exacting and system based function.

I was merely talking about the intake of information in the second bit.

I just wanted to point out that Se doesn't *always* mean being completely aware of your surroundings. I believe I have VERY strong Se, and at times I get caught up on one single thing, staring at a tree, or staring at a car, and I am just as clumsy as anyone else.

I have PLENTY of times I have been clumsy. I think in some cases it might be even easier for strong Se to be distracted. Although I am quite aware of others when I am standing in a line, I am always quick to make way for someone else.

Yeah it seems as though Se almost gets caught up in it self at times.

I just wanted to point out that Se doesn't *always* mean being completely aware of your surroundings. I believe I have VERY strong Se, and at times I get caught up on one single thing, staring at a tree, or staring at a car, and I am just as clumsy as anyone else.

I have PLENTY of times I have been clumsy. I think in some cases it might be even easier for strong Se to be distracted. Although I am quite aware of others when I am standing in a line, I am always quick to make way for someone else.

I'm aware of this however S and N are distracted in different ways..are you attracted to such thing by your senses? when I am distracted I pay attention to something and then make a scenerio about it in my head, an S on the other hand will start picking up the details, what color is it? what text is written on it?etc

I'm aware of this however S and N are distracted in different ways..are you attracted to such thing by your senses? when I am distracted I pay attention to something and then make a scenerio about it in my head, an S on the other hand will start picking up the details, what color is it? what text is written on it?etc

Exactly, I just don't think a lot of the tests properly word how to interpret Se/Si which is why everyone underestimates it.

Perhaps I will write my own test one of these days. :D

I agree with IS on his Si, he has mentioned before about memory recall, which seems to fit very much with Si. A person with very strong Si would have TONS of old memories, you could mention a time and they may remember what the weather was like, what you were wearing, what music was playing, what perfume you were wearing, etc.

This is me to a bloody "t," yet the cognitive tests all insist this is one of my weakest functions... hmm...

Exactly.

This is me to a bloody "t," yet the cognitive tests all insist this is one of my weakest functions... hmm...

I would like to know what description or definition of Si the writers of the tests were using. :D

I have some Ne, if I see scars or imperfections, I wonder how they got there, what the story of the object is. But initially I simply observe.

Last edited:
I use Si much more then I thought I have in the past. It is infact, my second function. Singling out Si on it's own is actually kind of tricky, because it depends on the function it is filtered through, Fe or Te. I primarly filter it through Fe.

The things that made me realise how much I use Si is how bound I am to social rule. For the life of me, I can't break it. I can bend it (because I am an Ni primary), but not break. I don't like to rock the boat at all, I avoid it as much as possible. I try to create harmony with everything. I am also extremely anal about appearing social acceptable. Lateness bugs the hell out of me. If something is out of place, or out of line, I will notice it, and want to put it back the way it was. I detest change of any kind, and I will flip if I was not given forwarning about it.

Really, you can see if you use Si more if you reflect on how you intereact with people, not so much with basic actions.

interesting...

so what is the function I am using when I am in a drive thru line up, and I am in line with the way the traffic "should be placed", and when other drivers stray from the reasonable placement it almost ruins my mood? (talk about anal, lol).