Greece could be expelled from the Eurozone | INFJ Forum

Greece could be expelled from the Eurozone

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Krumplenump, Feb 10, 2010.

Share This Page

?
  1. Pro, I like the idea of continued political, economical and military integration

53.3%
  2. Indifferent, I don't oppose it but nor do I champion it

20.0%
  3. Anti, I am pro-Europe but am uncomfortable with growing centralisation and loss of regional identiti

20.0%
  4. I don't live in Europe and/or don't give a toss

6.7%
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Krumplenump
  1. Krumplenump

Krumplenump Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    eftagawrg
    In light of the recent and ongoing economical fiasco in Greece, previously 'absurd' speculations that Greece may opt out or be kicked out of the Eurozone are no longer so far fetched.

If such a thing were to happen it would be the first major derrailment of the EUs drive for one Europe and could even herald a decline of the union in terms of expansion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8496839.stm

For Europeans here, are you pro-EU (not Europe but the idea of a union), indifferent or against it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Sithious

Sithious Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Eurozone?

Wth is that?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Morgain

Morgain defective wisdom
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ again
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    If they expell Greece they can expell Belgium too in the near future!

I think the EU is there to help one on other and not leave them on there own when things don't turn out allright!

4. Sithious

Sithious Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    [​IMG]

5. Morgain

Morgain defective wisdom
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ again
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    All for on and one for all!!!!!!!!!

6. OP
    Krumplenump

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    eftagawrg
    lol.

The Eurozone is wherever the Euro is used.

7. testing

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    qwer
    I heard about this on NPR. Evidently there is concern that some countries' debts (Portugal's, Italy's, Greece's and Spain's -- collectively known as PIGS -- no kidding!) will drag down the larger economy of the Eurozone. That's why there is talk of expelling them. Actually, I was surprised to hear this as I thought the U.S. was the only country with a debt problem.

Belgium's economy is doing relatively well, so I doubt there'll be much talk about expelling them anytime soon.

Sounds like it's one for all and all for one -- as long as things are going well! (Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose, if I can dust off my French.)

I'm not European, but if I was, I think I would certainly want the EU to remain intact for political, economic and military reasons. But it sounds like an even more collossal pain to get all those countries to play nicely together than it does to get our 50 states to play nicely together, and that is not easy!

8. Roger

Roger ...

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    -
    Right and agree.

9. Morgain

Morgain defective wisdom
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ again
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Belgium has a huge debt too. Our debt was too big when we joined the EU and it is still increasing... the US is far not the only country whit debt problems not at all. Belgiums social security system is taking us down :D

10. Stu

Stu .
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    "the south's gonna do it again"

Boy, imagine expelling states from the U.S. We could put Shai in charge of it!

11. The Jester

I doubt that belgium would be expelled from this, our influence on the EU is too big.

12. OP
    Krumplenump

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    eftagawrg
    Belgium was a founding member plus the capital of the EU is there, even if they deserved to be kicked out it never would be because to do so would be to kick out the EUs credibility and image.

Janet made a good point about comparing it to the US states, indeed Europeans have more difficulty integrating culturally due to unique and deep rooted local traditions. I am for free travel, right to work and live anywhere in the union you want, close economic and military cooperation, but I am against centralisation. Only laws directly affecting trade and economy should be centralised, the rest should remain local. The only reason I'm anti-Euro is because I liked examining the old monies.

It was a massive mistake letting in Bulgaria and Romania so soon. The ludicracy of centalising certain laws is evident in the fact that the UK taxpayer footed the bill of billions of Euros in the late 90's early 00's for Spains new highways and motorway system. There is severe imbalance. A more autonamous system like the US would foster far less understandable bitterness between countries that give and countries that take.

#12 Krumplenump, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  13. BenW

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    They could always come chill with the USA.

14. OP
    Krumplenump

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    eftagawrg
    How do Americans feel about a future power to rival the US? In fact already the combined GDP of the EU exceeds that of the US at 14.5 trillion USD compared to 14.25 trillion USD according to the cia world factbook. Trouble with Europe is that in the superpower sense, each states priority is their own, so the fiscal and military cooperation is much more fragmented than in the US meaning it's less of a world power.
    The Euro is quickly catching up with the Dollar though as a world reserve currency.

15. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

I'm kicking out Utah, Texas and Wisconsin.

16. bamf

bamf Is Watching You
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Meh
    Enneagram:
    Meh
    I think the only way the EU could truly rival the US as a world super-power would be to essentially combine into one unified nation. I really don't see that happening.

The US, which is roughly the size of Europe, is mostly homogeneous. If you travel 4000 miles from coast to coast, you will pass through one nation, of one language, of one history, of one culture, with only minor local differences. To do such a thing in Europe would be to travel through thousands of years of different histories, numerous different languages, with numerous different cultures.

I really can't see Europe combining under one nation any time in the near future. One would be hard pressed to have so many nations give up most of their sovereignty, vastly different cultures (and it would be required for most of the nations to ignore their hostile histories with one another)

Granted, the EU might rival the US in economic strength, but to truly be a super-power it would need a political and militaristic ability that could rival the US.

#16 bamf, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  17. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    I smell WWIV.

I'd also have to agree with MF, we may look like a split nationa time but were still one country. When something like war needs to be rallied to it's all for one.

#17 Barnabas, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  18. OP
    Krumplenump

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    eftagawrg
    Very true. I wouldn't want to see the huge differences in Europe disappear either, so in that sense I wouldn't like a nation of Europe.

Well, I think europe can be a super power militarily, and indeed it arguably already is. But the endless squabbling over domestic issues will never cement them into a single force with a common goal.
    However because of that very tunnel-visioned domestic agenda each member state tends to have, when they are united they unite loads of well-rounded armies.

I'd never like to see a United States of Europe though.

19. testing

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    qwer
    The way I feel about this is its about #^% time someone else became a world superpower. Hasn't gotten us anything but deeper in debt and the target of a bunch of violence.

Bleah.

20. OP
    Krumplenump

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    eftagawrg
    hah, true, but that was Europes task in the colonial times. Maybe one of Americas satellites will grow to become a superpower like England's America did and ease the pressure.