Great Article on Depression & Intelligence | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Great Article on Depression & Intelligence

You are confusing. Are you saying depression DOESN'T exist and shouldn't be treated or DOES exist but still shouldn't be treated?

Treatment = medication OR psychotherapy OR anything that has to do with acknowledging that you don't have to be depressed and working towards not being depressed, societal/political biases of yours or not.
Or are you trying to sneak in social commentary without actually having an opinion?

Also, why do you think being depressed is perfectly okay and should be left as is if you do?

And WHEN did you come to the conclusion that I am inhuman?!

Last edited:
And WHEN did you come to the conclusion that I am inhuman?!
What? I don't believe in inhumane people, I believe in inhumane environments. Depression doesn't exist in some environments. You can't change a whole environment on your own, or by the help of a circle of friends. IMHO, You are actually VERY concerned, as I said. Passionately concerned with helping here and now, with what can be immediately done. In this case, I'm not arguing against treatment. However, it's not something to be simply assumed as normal for some society, because it's not.

Yes, even people who are provided with everything, materially and in love, become depressed, because they observe too much suffering around them, and they can't do anything about it.

Last edited:
Well, that's nice and all, but I'm not really concerned with the individuals who don't have it. Doesn't mean I'm short sighted enough not to try and find out why those healthy individuals are healthy, and try and apply that to curing depression but suffering such as this should be alleviated, no matter the cause. The exception is when the sufferer doesn't want it.

In this case, if a person is depressed, and they want help, I'll give it to them.

I am not saying its normal, how does wanting to treat something, alliviating a suffering, turn it into being considered normal? If it were concidered normal no one would do anything about it because its not something to be changed. I don't see people saying things like "that's so very normal, what do we do to fix that".

If a person is depressed, and you could help them, and they want it, what do YOU do? Please tell me all your ranting about how society is at fault lead you to some type of solution? Please, be specific.

I can't do anything. And YOU can't do anything. Similar is the case with depression itself. Which doesn't mean treatment is the only possible solution. It may be the optimal solution within this environment, which proves it's not a healthy environment. When I say it's not normal, I mean that it's not normal to have to rely on treatment for this. It's not normal to have it, in the first place (in such proportions). It hasn't always been like that.

Last edited:
My depression sure as hell isn't beneficial in any way I know of, and it was the major reason why I lost two good full-time jobs (specifically, hypersomnia that developed along with it where I'd randomly sleep for 12 to 18 hours or more and miss most or all of my shift). Nothing triggers it (the bad flareups are totally random and happen even in good environments), nothing ever has, and I've had it for as far back as I can remember, plus it's been getting worse over about the past 7 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

Convince yourself. However, you simply cannot observe your own childhood development, for example, and how you have been influenced by the aggressive peer-pressure around you, or some other factors beyond your control. Everything you could think about is influenced in some way by the external world, it doesn't happen on its own. This is both obvious, and proven by multiple experiments.

No matter how much you will be pushed to believe so, this is not your own fault, and is not up to you to resolve (if you see it as something that should be resolved).

Last edited:
uhhh...yeah, that just confirmed that what you're talking about is in no way related to how things have been for me, though I do see your point.

Also, I don't know where you'd get the idea that I think my depression (which, mind you, goes into anhedonia territory at times, along with psychomotor retardation) is my fault. The only way it would be in any way my fault is if I locked myself into a "woe is me" mindset, which I don't do cause I'm pretty optimistic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Convince yourself. However, you simply cannot observe your own childhood development, for example, and how you have been influenced by the aggressive peer-pressure around you, or some other factors beyond your control. Everything you could think about is influenced in some way by the external world, it doesn't happen on its own. This is both obvious, and proven by multiple experiments.

No matter how much you will be pushed to believe so, this is not your own fault, and is not up to you to resolve (if you see it as something that should be resolved).

I am sorry, but I do not agree with this at all. I indeed can trace things back to my childhood that have caused me to be and feel the way that I am, and if it turns out to be negative thing, I work it out. I have worked things out before, and I will continue to do so in the future. In general I do not agree with the majority of the 'socieity camp', as in people who place the blame of ills on socieity. This is only the case for a very small number of people. I am much more of a nature person, and very little nurture.

I'm glad I'm not the only one entirely baffled by both the clear opinions of can-be-shy and the stuff he seems to be pulling out of his ***.

Can-be-shy, I don't think you're even reading what's being posted before you post. You keep getting what we say backwards, or thinking we are saying things we aren't.

Course, I think I'm wasting my time telling you anything at all, I'm sure you're just going to go rage and spew random crap in response to this. I had to try though to get over the frustration.

Genes don't mean strict consequence, and most of these processes happen in interaction. Genes have no purpose, on their own. A bird doesn't have genes to fly. If you tied its wings during the whole process of growing up, it wouldn't explore its flying ability. And then the bird wouldn't be able to fly even when you untie its wings.

We can't be fully aware of all influences, not only in early childhood /it's impossible to trace them all/, but even now, in everyday life. Compare with dreams at night. Everything that happens there is remixed information from real life, and yet it is not possible to analyze it all, and link everything with certainty. We also rely too much on language and linear reasoning, as some dogmatic rule, while our brains physically do not operate linearly. So there are too many triggers at once, and no single cause to be identified and "dealt with". But I guess it's a matter of viewpoint, and further research. I stated my main points, and respect that we disagree. Thanks, and sorry if I have offended someone, which was not my goal, and in which case I apologize.

Reactions: acd
I just think that what you're describing doesn't account for all cases of depression.
Posted via Mobile Device

Genes don't mean strict consequence, and most of these processes happen in interaction. Genes have no purpose, on their own. A bird doesn't have genes to fly. If you tied its wings during the whole process of growing up, it wouldn't explore its flying ability. And then the bird wouldn't be able to fly even when you untie its wings.

We can't be fully aware of all influences, not only in early childhood /it's impossible to trace them all/, but even now, in everyday life. Compare with dreams at night. Everything that happens there is remixed information from real life, and yet it is not possible to analyze it all, and link everything with certainty. We also rely too much on language and linear reasoning, as some dogmatic rule, while our brains physically do not operate linearly. So there are too many triggers at once, and no single cause to be identified and "dealt with". But I guess it's a matter of viewpoint, and further research. I stated my main points, and respect that we disagree. Thanks, and sorry if I have offended someone, which was not my goal, and in which case I apologize.

In DoveAlexa's first post she said that implying depressed people are weak for taking medication is part of the Stigma of depression. That made me think she was probably annoyed or offended. I think it's offensive to people with depression to imply that they're weak for taking their medication or that their disability is not real. No outsider can experience what they experience, so it isn't our place to judge. Regardless of whether things might be different in some ideal world or island, we live in the world as it is now and people's experiences in this world are what is relevant. Improving society is a great idea, but not at the further expense of people who might be suffering from the way things are now. In other words, depressed people who benefit from medications shouldn't be denied them while waiting for some ideal society. (I am not assuming that social environment is the only cause of depression though.)

As I continued reading enfp's posts, such as the part I put in bold, my impression was that maybe he was kind of thinking out loud about the complicated issues of nature, nuture, etc. and might not have quite realized how personal these issues are for a lot of people. Or maybe somehow he didn't realize how he was coming across even though DoveAlexa mentioned rage a few times. I don't know. I didn't understand all of his posts and wasn't motivated enough to figure them out after a quick skim because I had a busy day. So, sorry for whatever I probably misinterpreted.

Last edited:
It is a shame I forgot about this until now.

^ Let's throw her on an island (with enough food and water there), and see if she remembers what is depression, in 6 months. Part of the popular cult is to make her believe it's up to her. Because that's the type of superstitious bias people train, by the positive reinforcement of (random!) success. So it gets very influential to assume so. That's what behavioral economists study in recent years, and has been the major field for Nobel prizes in economics. What if it's a perfectly healthy reaction within a very unhealthy setting?

Then it must be addressed in spite of the setting. From what I understand of what you are saying here, I agree with you, but the fact that the environment sucks doesn't really change the nature of the problem or the fact that we have to deal with it. We can't go back to living how our ancestors did thousands of years ago.

T
That being said, something CAN be done. I am not going to allow depression to run my life. Even if it is depression, it could be anexity, or both really. I wont know for some time. This shows me though that it is ok to acknowlage these things, and it is ok to be depressed, it has reason and purpose, and it shows people that something can be done about it.

So do you choose ignorance then or what do you do? Good post BTW.

Alright, that's nice and all, but lets say someone has been suffering for decades, the depression came from nothing and there has never been any lasting break. Is that THEN a time where you can let the poor bastard have a break from the pain with some medication? Or is it all being weak of character because you're not "sucking it up" and "fixing yourself"?

What if you're not getting anything done because your depressed, and instead you're just acutely aware of how little you're doing?

Its unfair to say all drugs and all relief apart from somehow finding and fixing the source (if there ever was one) is bad and that a person trying to escape endless torment is weak and inferior of character. This is the major part of the Stigma of depression, that you got there because you just suck.

When can you say a person has suffered enough to "earn" relief from chronic depression?

I don't think enfp_can_be_shy said or implied some of the things you seem to be responding to; he seems to be saying the system is bad but not that the individuals are bad. Treatment is a tradeoff, and instead of completely negating the problem, it can in some cases only serve to treat the symptoms without addressing the root causes.

When has someone suffered enough to earn relief from depression? They have when they decide to (and unfortunately, are able to afford) treatment and are willing to undergo it in spite of the costs and side-effects of the medication. They may have to spend many years on severely debilitating medication, but I do believe that there is something wrong with suffering such side-effects. I wont judge them negatively for it, but I will judge the institution. Not everyone gets those side-effects though.

enfp_can_be_shy seems to be focusing on the institution while you are focusing on the individuals, and I believe that is the source of your misunderstanding each other. This applies to other posts made by you two as well.

(And you should both be nicer to each other.)

Like I said, unfortunately, people have to blame themselves and find a way to resolve their problems. The alternative is to take on the world, and that is an ultimately futile endeavor because nothing is really going to change the world- in the sense that while you may get good gradual change over time, you wont have enough substantive change to alleviate the suffering of the individual concerned.

uhhh...yeah, that just confirmed that what you're talking about is in no way related to how things have been for me, though I do see your point.

Also, I don't know where you'd get the idea that I think my depression (which, mind you, goes into anhedonia territory at times, along with psychomotor retardation) is my fault. The only way it would be in any way my fault is if I locked myself into a "woe is me" mindset, which I don't do cause I'm pretty optimistic.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think he is saying it is your fault, not from what I read anyway. Where did you get that idea? It seems that he is saying it is the fault of the environment. He is also saying that individuals are taught to believe it is their fault but that it is not actually their fault.

It varies from brain to brain. Some brains are more prone to relying on sequential ("linear") thinking while others operate more spatially or visually.

Reactions: Kgal
It is just my imagination or does just about every symptom of depression sound like a characteristic of a normal INTP?

It is just my imagination or does just about every symptom of depression sound like a characteristic of a normal INTP?

I was unaware there was such a thing as a normal INTP.

Haha jk. I have no idea.

I agree, and page 7 of the article sort of deals with this. After taking a test that requires abstract thought to solve, non-depressed people felt slightly more depressed afterward:

In other words, the mere presence of a challenging problem

This is chicken and egg...behavioral and genetic. What's the difference between having a strong family history of diabetes, high blood pressure, or lung disease and having a strong family history of mental illness, of whatever type? All any kind of strong family history means is you could have a pre-disposition for one thing and another. It doesn't mean you are fated for that disease.

I have been a ruminator my entire life, and I personally take this to mean that I want to get at root causes and understanding of whatever I'm ruminating about. Rumination is a method not a disease, but like anything else, it can become pathological. Much of this kind of dysfunction has many roots in our upbringing and the learned behavior of our childhood. Add the pre-disposition of a strong family history, and the acquired behavior of questionable attitudes, and obsessive thinking, and you got it.

It is logical to me that the best treatments for mental illness are a combination of therapy and meds. As a trained facillitator for a local mental health group I've found that you can't unscrew people's heads off and pour the right kind of thinking into them. This came out of my own mind recently: "Until you are willing to work as hard as you need to work to help yourself, how can you expect others to help you at all." In other words, take charge and become part of your own healing. If you don't, you won't.