Going from Introversion to Extraversion | INFJ Forum

Going from Introversion to Extraversion

I'm sorry, but I don't like these types of books. They treat introversion as if it's a disease that needs to be conquered (my opinion). There is *nothing* wrong with being an introvert.

I swear I've read that article before but by a different person (or it could just be the same crap rehashed again).

I'm sorry, but I don't like these types of books. They treat introversion as if it's a disease that needs to be conquered (my opinion). There is *nothing* wrong with being an introvert.

While I agree that introversion is not a disease, this book could be helpful for some people. I'm talking about people who are highly introverted and want to develop their extroverted side more. I don't think he's advocating that people change completely from introvert to extrovert, just that they have a healthy amount of extroversion in them. Hell, this book could even be beneficial for shy people. Whatever people's views are of this guy, he's still not as bad as that "The Popular Life" dickhead.

I think being able to handle the "outside world" is important. I would not have any friends if I didn't adjust myself. I think it is a personal choice though. My mum is fine going to work then to her other work as a counselor and not really having close friends to do things with. It doesn't mean she is lonely, it is just she is like that. She would rather carve stone into bears and wolves and play guitar.

I think being able to handle the "outside world" is important. I would not have any friends if I didn't adjust myself. I think it is a personal choice though.

I agree. I don't think being introverted is necessarily bad, but I do think that one needs to be able to speak up for themselves when necessary. If something is happening that you disagree with, and you don't speak up, or you can't function in everyday life, I think that's when being too introverted can become a problem.

Funny I had to learn how to tell somone I was unhappy with their actions. It took even longer to tell them the same thing in more exact colorful language. I still have problems, but I am getting much better. I am not apologizing as much any more.

I think solongotgon was looking for constructive thoughts. We all agree that it's annoying for others to consider us broken or lacking. But I can admit there's times that I need to be able to use my extroverted functions more, and I don't think there's anything wrong with learning that.

But MBTI introversion/extroversion is very different from the usual definitions of introvert/extrovert.

Funny I had to learn how to tell somone I was unhappy with their actions. It took even longer to tell them the same thing in more exact colorful language. I still have problems, but I am getting much better. I am not apologizing as much any more.
I used to over-apologize. And I still find it hard to tell people (irl) when I'm displeased with them.

uhuh Objection, I agree with arbygil. In addition, it seems highly unlikely that one who is introverted at core would exchange that for extrovertion.
There are pro's and con's with both and like Milon said, as he wishes to have more extroversion at times as it would be handy, hence his energy would still be attained otherwise.

It does not seem like a simple process as one would have to transform all functions into the other, which would furtherly mean that oen would be going against everything with oneself.

But MBTI introversion/extroversion is very different from the usual definitions of introvert/extrovert.

When I read it this was the very first thing that came to my mind.

I think what people perceive as "introversion" tends to be consequences from being an introvert (this time the MBTI definition). It's true that I find online socializing comfortable, but it doesn't mean that I 'over-value' on-line socialization.

While I acknowledge he brought up some good points for introverts, I don't really like his way of expressing it, as the one who doesn't necessarily embrace the "traditional" definition of introverts and extraverts.

I wouldn't say it's "converting" myself from being introverted to extraverted; it's adapting one's introversion so that one feel more comfortable working outside the comfort zone. I am pretty sure what he means is this.

In the middle he mentions envisioning wrong kind of extraverts. Due to personality differences, we can indeed incorrectly perceive extraverts as shallow. It's another way of saying we should appreciate personality differences.

To the author of the article:

I'm an Introvert.
I have my own unique set of social skills, so...

Attachments

• kittySlipperSml.jpg
    kittySlipperSml.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I agree with Milon regarding what the world deems "extrovert/introvert" is far different from what someone else may call introversion/extroversion. And to be honest with you I know far more introverts with sound social skills than I know extroverts. Just because you're an extrovert doesn't mean you have excellent social skills - it just means people energize you. I know quite a few extroverts who would do well by learning some hard core social skills.

This should rather be about SHYNESS not introversion. Introversion and shyness are not synonymous terms, and booksellers as the one above seem to believe that introverts are shy, and this is not true. I prefer being in a small, quiet group of people for shorter amounts of time. Yes, I can be in bigger groups of people if I have to. But it doesn't make me a freak because I prefer quiet stillness most of the time.

Granted, yes. If people have poor social skills they need help - but introversion is not the reason behind the majority of poor social skills. My $.02.