Funeral Protests Ruled OK By Supreme Court | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Funeral Protests Ruled OK By Supreme Court

Unless I'm mistaken protests are not permitted on private property.

Privatise all the cemeteries. Most cemeteries have several entrances - they can't all be picketed.

Freedom of speech is fine - as long as no one is obliged to listen.

You're not mistaken, my friend.

That's a good suggestion, only that will cost money and time. Unfortunately, we have neither.

These people are good with loopholes when it comes to the Constitution.

Also most cemetery boards are run by a group of volunteers, who actually owns anything isn't particularly clear.

In the case of the father who sued for 5 million dollars in damages, he saw them on the way to the funeral but did not know any more about what was going on until after the funeral.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/03/02/toobin.westboro.funerals.court/index.html

I think the court ruling is reasonable. This is an issue that doesn't require law at all. Quite simply the american media turns all sorts of minor issues into massive news affairs when they are not justified. If anyone is causing damage here in my opinion it is the media and the correct course of action is to call them on it and demand that they return to reporting the news and step away from tabloid nonsense.

This same church group has targeted my country. They came here and protested also and quite frankly I don't remember or care about what. They wrote a letter to the editors of the major newspapers but quite frankly no one took them on. The "story" was allowed to fade into oblivion. That's exactly what needs to happen in the US. They need to be shunned and if the media won't do it then well thinking Americans need to shun the media. The law one way or another is unlikely to shut them up. The leader's (of the church) own son thinks he's a mental case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the court ruling is reasonable. This is an issue that doesn't require law at all. Quite simply the american media turns all sorts of minor issues into massive news affairs when they are not justified. If anyone is causing damage here in my opinion it is the media and the correct course of action is to call them on it and demand that they return to reporting the news and step away from tabloid nonsense.

This same church group has targeted Jamaica. They came here and protested also and quite frankly I don't remember or care about what. They wrote a letter to the editors of the major newspapers but quite frankly no one took them on. The "story" was allowed to fade into oblivion. That's exactly what needs to happen in the US. They need to be shunned and if the media won't do it then well thinking Americans need to shun the media. The law one way or another is unlikely to shut them up. The leader's (of the church) own son thinks he's a mental case.

Too much power in the wrong hands can lead to devastation.

The media is proof.

This same church group has targeted Jamaica. They came here and protested also and quite frankly I don't remember or care about what. They wrote a letter to the editors of the major newspapers but quite frankly no one took them on. The "story" was allowed to fade into oblivion. That's exactly what needs to happen in the US. They need to be shunned and if the media won't do it then well thinking Americans need to shun the media. The law one way or another is unlikely to shut them up. The leader's (of the church) own son thinks he's a mental case.
This is a really good point...
They most likely would fade away if the media ignored them and nobody else paid them any attention... They seem to demand controversy..

This is completely different than burning Qur'an's to me it seems more akin to walking into a islamic church and burning a Qur'an which I'm pretty sure is illegal. It's threatening and disturbing the peace.

Actually, no, it's not. This particular church has always stayed within the bounds of protesting limitations, for example in some states you can't protest unless it's within x amount of feet or x amount of hours before or after the event, etc. The media always seems to gloss over the fact that they're usually standing across the street protesting, it's not like they are in the crowd with the family doing it, there are rules.

No respect for a grieving family, either way; for or against. Turning a tragedy into a political format and stomping ground is of poor taste, either way.

Having the SC make a ruling on such as this is somewhat disdainful to me. Hope they uphold second amendment rights as heartily.

Freedom of speech isn't the most important thing in the world all the time: know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. Doesn't hurt to carry your rights quietly every now and then. jmo

Reactions: acd
Having the SC make a ruling on such as this is somewhat disdainful to me. Hope they uphold second amendment rights as heartily.

"The way I see it, the Constitution cuts both ways. The First Amendment gives you the right to say what you want, but the Second Amendment gives me the right to shoot you for it"

A wise quote I would say

:D

Reactions: bagelriffic
"The way I see it, the Constitution cuts both ways. The First Amendment gives you the right to say what you want, but the Second Amendment gives me the right to shoot you for it"

A wise quote I would say

:D

Sounds more like a wise crack to me. ; )

^ haha I know, right? Then again, it was in a comic in my government book. I laughed inside my head when I read it.

To me they're merely trying to save humanity, in their own peculiar way.

Sometimes I believe that the world is run by irony.

Reactions: bagelriffic
^ It pretty much is. Sometimes it's pretty funny.

To me they're merely trying to save humanity, in their own peculiar way.

Sometimes I believe that the world is run by irony.

People sometimes have the capacity to do what they feel or think is best at the cost of their own dignity.