Find a Sword | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Find a Sword

History

In the early history of its use, the naginata was primarily used against cavalry, as its length kept the wielder a safe distance from horses and their riders. During the Tokugawa period (1603–1868), the naginata was transformed into a symbol of status for female samurai, as well as being the primary means for a woman to defend her home while her husband was away at war. This period also saw the propagation of the naginata as a feminine art and the weapon serving as more of a symbol of devotion to a woman's family.

But it wasn't invented for women.

History

In the early history of its use, the naginata was primarily used against cavalry, as its length kept the wielder a safe distance from horses and their riders. During the Tokugawa period (1603–1868), the naginata was transformed into a symbol of status for female samurai, as well as being the primary means for a woman to defend her home while her husband was away at war. This period also saw the propagation of the naginata as a feminine art and the weapon serving as more of a symbol of devotion to a woman's family.

Naginatajustsu was.

Also, Why swords? why any weapon at all?
Why not just learn kung-fu?

Last edited:
Variety, and to cover the weaknesses in different arts.

The sword is for the classical weapon and because the knowledge should never be lost.

I could talk to my grandma.

She says that the fuzzy wuzzies in asia are unintelligent low class people god made to work as servants for white people.

One old guy at my dads church back in 2001 said that Jesus wasn't a Hebrew Jew, he was an Englishman from Glastonbury.

Do you really want to say that old people are always right?

Sorry but Shai is right on this. A naginata was originally intended for cavalry and the art form was intended for the dehorsed rider. It then later evolved into a female status symbol.

I could talk to my grandma.

She says that the fuzzy wuzzies in asia are unintelligent low class people god made to work as servants for white people.

One old guy at my dads church back in 2001 said that Jesus wasn't a Hebrew Jew, he was an Englishman from Glastonbury.

Do you really want to say that old people are always right?
You mean south asia where they have all those call centers right?

You don't want to say wikipedia is always right, do you?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Historical-Figures-Action-Figure-Deluxe/dp/B000C9XB8W"]Amazon.com: Jesus Action Figure Deluxe: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

History

This is correct.

The status of the naginata was developed because it was clear that the weapon gave a combatant an unfair advantage in a sword fight. Therefore (as politically incorrect as this is...) the weapon was delegated to 'women' to cover their disadvantage against men, and make a fight fair.

Naginatajutsu was not invented for women, but over time, the art became primarily practiced by women due to the 'less honorable' stigma attached to fighting with an advantage. It is now, and has been for quite some time, practiced primarily by women in Japan. Men have never completely stopped practicing this art.

However, this proves the advantage of the weapon over swords.

I've dabbled with the weapon in melee sparring (against opponents with decades of experience in full force and full contact melee sparring), and I have to say that the advantage against single sword (bastard or two handed) was utterly ridiculous (it's even strong against dual swords, sword and shield, and even has an advantage over polearms because it's length makes it easier to control with precision). There is too much range to keep the naginata wielder from being counter attacked by a swordsman. While the weapon has an amazing capacity to strike below the knee (an area that is very difficult to defend with a katana), it is also extremely effective at using its leverage to control the opponent's blade to create openings, and accurately strike vital points with more force than the katana can generate.

The naginata is one of the most effective melee weapons ever designed.

However, it's really hard to sneak onto an airplane.

Last edited:
Who here has Mount & Blade: Warband?

NickADemos(c)2006(ARS)NY098.jpg

Sharpest, deadliest, most harmful, most powerful sword on the earth; depending on who or what is weilding it and in what manner....and most used....

Last edited:
Does it have to be a sword? Why not a spartan shield?
>.< Sorry, I was watching Ninjas Vs Spartans and Knights Vs Pirates last night ( nvs, so much cooler) and it does beg the question, why not a kick ass shield you can melee/bash and defend with?

The naginata is one of the most effective melee weapons ever designed.

However, it's really hard to sneak onto an airplane.

That's the thing though, it's too damn big to carry around everywhere. However a sword could be carried around on your back without hassle. A good example of that is The Operative, who carries around a "Ninjato" in a sheath on his back.

NickADemos(c)2006(ARS)NY098.jpg

Sharpest, deadliest, most harmful, most powerful sword on the earth; depending on who or what is weilding it and in what manner....and most used....

:m027:

This project isn't for practicality, is it? Aesthetics?

:m027:

This project isn't for practicality, is it? Aesthetics?

In all due respect, Words, I apologize. There is definitely another side to words.

A sharp, two-edged sword; one that both smites and heals at the same time, using the two edges simultaneously, would always be my personal sword of choice. The healing takes time.

But she can watch my back anytime!

Last edited:
No, it's for pure practicality. I know some fencing and kendo, but I'm in no way an expert or even moderately knowledgeable, which is why I'm asking for help here.

I want it to be intensely practical.