Find a Sword | INFJ Forum

Find a Sword

S

Shai Gar

What single sword would be best suited to to these all of these styles?

Kenjutsu
Shiranui-ryū
Fencing
HEMA Longsword

May I please be enlightened as to why you need to know this?

Because I'm waiting for my call back to tell me I've got the job (two phone interviews, in person interview, good reference from someone who has worked there since the beginning, and replaying the in person interview for him and he said I'm a shoe in, then a follow up phone call this morning telling me that they're about to call my references), so I'm doing nothing but sitting by the phone and taking my mind off of it by trying to figure out what sword would be best for "True Form" a martial style that combines parkour, tai chi, taijutsu, wing chun, ai kido, krav maga and capoeira, alongside sword styles and stick styles.

I'm trying to figure out what sword would be best used to incorporate all of those sword styles.

Because I'm waiting for my call back to tell me I've got the job (two phone interviews, in person interview, good reference from someone who has worked there since the beginning, and replaying the in person interview for him and he said I'm a shoe in, then a follow up phone call this morning telling me that they're about to call my references), so I'm doing nothing but sitting by the phone and taking my mind off of it by trying to figure out what sword would be best for "True Form" a martial style that combines parkour, tai chi, taijutsu, wing chun, ai kido, krav maga and capoeira, alongside sword styles and stick styles.

I'm trying to figure out what sword would be best used to incorporate all of those sword styles.

Just use a bamboo stick... it doubles as "motivation" for asian children.

Reactions: DoveAlexa
OoSG is a Religion that has Sith/Jedi properties. It's centre focus is on individualism, ambition and learning. However, using the body for fighting, movement, sexual activities and maintaining health are an important aspect.

This sword would have to be straight, and still good for Kenjutsu

The answer is Naginata.

images

There is not one sword that would be ideal for all the applications you're suggesting. The Naginata is the ultimate melee weapon to defeat someone with a sword, so if I knew I'd be fighting people with swords, I'd bring one of these (assuming I couldn't bring my M-40A1).

For training in all of these areas, I'd suggest a standard tai chi sword. Because it will 'wobble' in ways that will show you whether or not your form is aligned. It's also light weight, allowing you to calibrate to high speed movements safely.

images

For actual fighting, honestly, I'd figure out which sword I'm the most comfortable with, and tailor the styles I study to the weapon, or figure out which styles I'm most comfortable with and tailor the blade to the forms.

The curved blades, such as the Daisho elements are best suited for 'soft' styles, that have sweeping and circular motions. These weapons are some of the best ergonomic designs the world has ever produced, and most of the fighting styles you mentioned are either soft styles or based on soft styles (aikido, tai chi, cravmega, etc). Also, these blades are extremely versatile, and can be used like a baseball bat if need be. Best of all is the wakizashi, which can be used with almost any martial arts maneuver at point blank range (unlike a longer blade which can be pinned against your body up close).

images

However, the daisho weapons are not especially well designed for western fencing, or hard styles that involve fast and linear sword play. (They'll work, but the curves give them a slight disadvantage.) For those sorts of movements, you'll want a light rigid long blade such as a rapier or saber.

A standard tai chi sword (not a practice sword) might be the best weapon to span the styles, but if you would rather specialize, I would definitely suggest the daisho because it is much better with hard styles than sabers are for soft styles. On top of that, they're much more durable than rapiers or tai chi swords.

But... I would personally never consider trying to force one blade into this role. Swords are tools, and each tool has a purpose for a specific role. Learn several styles, so you're never at a disadvantage, and most importantly so you understand your opponent's style and how to defeat it.

Last edited:
I'm not after the a weapon that'd be better at all those styles, than the styles which developed around the weapons. I'm not after a weapon which would be the best weapon for all of those styles. I'm after a weapon which would be the most efficient in killing, up against all of those styles, with knowledge and training in all those styles.

You're saying that the Tai Chi is good for spanning all styles but it's not as good because it is fragile compared to most of the swords?

But you'd prefer the Daisho. I'm after only a single weapon, and the Daisho is two.

And yeah, I'd prefer a naginata against a sword, and a .22 against melee.

Buster sword!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1M7xbCCIs"]YouTube- ‪REAL Buster Sword‬‎[/ame]

I clearly win here.

You're saying that the Tai Chi is good for spanning all styles but it's not as good because it is fragile compared to most of the swords?

Pretty much.

But you'd prefer the Daisho. I'm after only a single weapon, and the Daisho is two.

Any of the daisho blades would work. I'd say the katana would be the one best suited to go against any other style. It's the most versatile, durable, and has the best balance of speed and transfer of force.

there is only one true sword and that is the Japanese katana. It is a sword with a soul! :D

00-7X50.jpg

That sounds like a great marketing platform :p

I still win.

Customised Sword Design was actually my first thought. I rarely think about current technology and equipment first, it's always the third option.

What have you got in mind?

The answer is Naginata.

images

There is not one sword that would be ideal for all the applications you're suggesting. The Naginata is the ultimate melee weapon to defeat someone with a sword, so if I knew I'd be fighting people with swords, I'd bring one of these (assuming I couldn't bring my M-40A1).

Nagitana are only to be used by women and is not for killing but immobilizing (cutting off toes).

Last edited:
Naginata are for everyone, but yes, it's more of a womans thing these days, like netball.

I'd like to see you naked Phoenix Down.

Naginata are for everyone, but yes, it's more of a womans thing these days, like netball.

I'd like to see you naked Phoenix Down.
Nagitanajutsu was MADE for women.

and
Not likely