Find a Sword | INFJ Forum

Find a Sword

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Shai Gar, Aug 10, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Shai Gar
  1. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

What single sword would be best suited to to these all of these styles?

Kenjutsu
    Shiranui-ryū
    Fencing
    HEMA Longsword

2. Bird

Bird Happy Go Lucky

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    -
    Enneagram:
    -
    May I please be enlightened as to why you need to know this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

Because I'm waiting for my call back to tell me I've got the job (two phone interviews, in person interview, good reference from someone who has worked there since the beginning, and replaying the in person interview for him and he said I'm a shoe in, then a follow up phone call this morning telling me that they're about to call my references), so I'm doing nothing but sitting by the phone and taking my mind off of it by trying to figure out what sword would be best for "True Form" a martial style that combines parkour, tai chi, taijutsu, wing chun, ai kido, krav maga and capoeira, alongside sword styles and stick styles.

I'm trying to figure out what sword would be best used to incorporate all of those sword styles.

4. just me

just me GONE

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 just me, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  5. Phoenix Down

Phoenix Down Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    Enneagram:
    3w?
    Just use a bamboo stick... it doubles as "motivation" for asian children.

DoveAlexa likes this.
  6. OP
    Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

OoSG is a Religion that has Sith/Jedi properties. It's centre focus is on individualism, ambition and learning. However, using the body for fighting, movement, sexual activities and maintaining health are an important aspect.

This sword would have to be straight, and still good for Kenjutsu

7. OP
    Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

8. VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    The answer is Naginata.

[​IMG]

There is not one sword that would be ideal for all the applications you're suggesting. The Naginata is the ultimate melee weapon to defeat someone with a sword, so if I knew I'd be fighting people with swords, I'd bring one of these (assuming I couldn't bring my M-40A1).

For training in all of these areas, I'd suggest a standard tai chi sword. Because it will 'wobble' in ways that will show you whether or not your form is aligned. It's also light weight, allowing you to calibrate to high speed movements safely.

[​IMG]

For actual fighting, honestly, I'd figure out which sword I'm the most comfortable with, and tailor the styles I study to the weapon, or figure out which styles I'm most comfortable with and tailor the blade to the forms.

The curved blades, such as the Daisho elements are best suited for 'soft' styles, that have sweeping and circular motions. These weapons are some of the best ergonomic designs the world has ever produced, and most of the fighting styles you mentioned are either soft styles or based on soft styles (aikido, tai chi, cravmega, etc). Also, these blades are extremely versatile, and can be used like a baseball bat if need be. Best of all is the wakizashi, which can be used with almost any martial arts maneuver at point blank range (unlike a longer blade which can be pinned against your body up close).

[​IMG]

However, the daisho weapons are not especially well designed for western fencing, or hard styles that involve fast and linear sword play. (They'll work, but the curves give them a slight disadvantage.) For those sorts of movements, you'll want a light rigid long blade such as a rapier or saber.

A standard tai chi sword (not a practice sword) might be the best weapon to span the styles, but if you would rather specialize, I would definitely suggest the daisho because it is much better with hard styles than sabers are for soft styles. On top of that, they're much more durable than rapiers or tai chi swords.

But... I would personally never consider trying to force one blade into this role. Swords are tools, and each tool has a purpose for a specific role. Learn several styles, so you're never at a disadvantage, and most importantly so you understand your opponent's style and how to defeat it.

#8 VH, Aug 10, 2010
  9. OP
    Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

I'm not after the a weapon that'd be better at all those styles, than the styles which developed around the weapons. I'm not after a weapon which would be the best weapon for all of those styles. I'm after a weapon which would be the most efficient in killing, up against all of those styles, with knowledge and training in all those styles.

You're saying that the Tai Chi is good for spanning all styles but it's not as good because it is fragile compared to most of the swords?

But you'd prefer the Daisho. I'm after only a single weapon, and the Daisho is two.

And yeah, I'd prefer a naginata against a sword, and a .22 against melee.

10. 88chaz88

88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Buster sword!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1M7xbCCIs"]YouTube- ‪REAL Buster Sword‬‎[/ame]

I clearly win here.

11. VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    Pretty much.

Any of the daisho blades would work. I'd say the katana would be the one best suited to go against any other style. It's the most versatile, durable, and has the best balance of speed and transfer of force.

12. Morgain

Morgain defective wisdom
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ again
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    there is only one true sword and that is the Japanese katana. It is a sword with a soul! :D

[​IMG]

13. DimensionX

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    -
    That sounds like a great marketing platform :p

14. 88chaz88

88chaz88 Back for a limited time only
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ????
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I still win.

15. OP
    Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

I'll have to go with the Oniyuri then.

16. Words

Words Newbie

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5w6
    #16 Words, Aug 10, 2010
  17. OP
    Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

Customised Sword Design was actually my first thought. I rarely think about current technology and equipment first, it's always the third option.

What have you got in mind?

18. Phoenix Down

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    Enneagram:
    3w?
    Nagitana are only to be used by women and is not for killing but immobilizing (cutting off toes).

#18 Phoenix Down, Aug 10, 2010
  19. OP
    Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

Naginata are for everyone, but yes, it's more of a womans thing these days, like netball.

I'd like to see you naked Phoenix Down.

20. Phoenix Down

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    Enneagram:
    3w?
    Nagitanajutsu was MADE for women.

and
    Not likely