Films/Books/Games that didn't need a Sequel

Detective Conan

Doesn't Cast Shadows
Jun 9, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
So, forum, what Films/Books/Games did NOT need a Sequel? I could make several jokes about bad series' (such as Twilight), but I'll restrain myself and make some serious comments.

Predator 2: While not a terrible film in its own right, it didn't at all live up to the feel and story of the original Predator (whereas Predators did an excellent job in reviving that mood/feeling).

Friday the 13th: This series, while I very much enjoy it, needed to stop after Part 3. After that, I started enjoying the series from a humorous, "die, camper teenage whores, die!" standpoint.

A Nightmare on Elmstreet: Again, my complaint is similar to Friday the 13th. However, A Nightmare on Elmstreet lost the "horror" aspect halfway into part 2, and continued running for four (five if you count Freddy Vs. Jason) sequels, a stand-alone ... thing (Wes Craven's New Nightmare) that wasn't entirely bad, but fed off the mockeries that came before it, and finally the fan-service Freddy Vs. Jason. Freddy ceased to be scary once he turned into a comedian (although I honestly enjoyed all the Nightmare movies except for part 2).

Jaws: Really? How many damn sharks need to get blown up/speared by a boat before we get the point?

Jurrassic Park 3: This movie felt, to me, like a director's effort to take everything cut out from books 1 and 2 and throw it into a third movie (I really hope I'm not the only one who noticed this).

Stephen King Movies: This is just a general gripe I have about these sequels. I can understand a movie requiring multiple parts because of script length and everything, but they don't need sequels. The two series' that come to mind are Pet Semetary and Children of the Corn. Those sequels are frighteningly awful.

Conan, I was thinking a little differently here...films/books/games that didn't need a sequel and didn't have one.
Gone With The Wind
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Saving Private Ryan
The Maltese Falcon
Independance Day

That's a start...

matrix

The Boondock Saints didn't need one but it was awesome in its own right and I therefore let it slide

Conan, I was thinking a little differently here...films/books/games that didn't need a sequel and didn't have one.
Gone With The Wind
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Saving Private Ryan
The Maltese Falcon
Independance Day

That's a start...

Oh, I didn't see that possibility before. I agree with your list 100%, and I'll add a few of my own, if I may be so bold.

IT
Gran Torino
Full Metal Jacket
Defiance
Titan A.E.

The are others I would like to list, but they're still somewhat new releases, so there could be a sequel already in the works for them. Although, it would be a shame if they ruined the story.

Oh, another small handful of sequels I'd rather live without (and do now that I know better).

Letters to the Phantom: A cheesy sequel to The Phantom of the Opera that essentially capitalizes on Christine's flaws of loving too much (aka, being a slut).

Bioshock 2: For those of us who played Bioshock, we all know that Bioshock 2 does not need to exist as a sequel in any sense of the word. The original tied itself up real nicely and the sequel didn't, in my mind, fit as well as a sequel should.

Ghostbusters

Shrek

Pretty much every movie that wasn't originally envisioned as a trilogy or a two-parter.

Donnie Darko.

When George Lucas followed up The Last Crusade with whatever stupid movie he made a few years ago I was pretty depressed for a while. The trilogy was perfect to this fan-boy, and he just mucked it up.

Deus Ex.

Not saying the sequel was actually as bad as everyone made it out to be, but we didn't need it.

Oh and Dynasty Warriors. They really need to quit it.

The Last Airbender

Lets hope and pray that one doesn't get a sequel.

Do prequels count?

If so, Star Wars.

M. Night Shyamalan is making a trilogy.

Starship troopers, because the first one was bad enough.

Final Fantasy 10, X-2 was pretty much a dolly-dress up game that is for some reason targeted towards young men... (thats just weird). I'd rather just read a wiki on the story than play the game and find out XD.

The Sims. I actually never played the original, but I found Sim2 to be a major let down, it was only fun for about 2 weeks then it lost its charm. I actually spent more time building empty houses then playing the actual game.