Feeler/Thinker Stereotypes? | INFJ Forum

Feeler/Thinker Stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by Gaze, May 1, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Gaze
  1. Gaze

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,380
    Messages:
    28,269
    Featured Threads:
    93
    Likes Received:
    22,755
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    There are quite a few misconceptions, generalizations, and poorly derived assumptions mentioned and reinforced in the discussion of personality type.

    So, the question is what are some of the feeler or thinker stereotypes we're quick to accept and act on whether on this board or otherwise?

    And this includes stereotypes and taken for granted assumptions about yourselves based on your belief that we are feeler or thinker?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,285
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Two common ones:

    Feeler = Emotional Whiny Bitch
    Thinker = Heartless Robotic Drone

    When I first introduce people to MBTI people will sometimes think something like that, the most common thing though is people will think judging means judgemental.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Barnabas

    Barnabas Time Lord

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2009
    Threads:
    263
    Messages:
    5,241
    Likes Received:
    669
    Trophy Points:
    667
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Florida man
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    I agree with the J being thought of as Judgemental, maybe it should be O for organizing.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 Barnabas, May 1, 2010
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  4. OP
    Gaze

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,380
    Messages:
    28,269
    Featured Threads:
    93
    Likes Received:
    22,755
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Agree.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Zero Angel

    Zero Angel Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Threads:
    19
    Messages:
    958
    Likes Received:
    64
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Possibly 4w5
    Myth: People who appear hard nosed or bossy are almost certainly T types.

    Myth: Introverts don't talk much, or are serious people.

    I also think that the labels (ie: thinking/feeling) might need to be changed so that they're more easily interpreted especially by beginners to MBTI.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 Zero Angel, May 1, 2010
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  6. That Girl

    That Girl Do you have my answers?
    Donor

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Threads:
    29
    Messages:
    1,634
    Likes Received:
    270
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    A myth that I felt for a long time was that people who follow predominantly feelings are wishy-washy. I hated how I would ask them why they answered a question in a certain way and the answer would always be "well, I had this feeling."

    I've come to accept the differences in others. I may not understand but I accept.

    "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Denis Diderot
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Soulful

    Soulful life is good

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    Threads:
    249
    Messages:
    5,014
    Likes Received:
    713
    Trophy Points:
    245
    MBTI:
    Fantastic quote. I'm curious what you mean by "follow"? Are there certain situations to which this applies (more so than others)?
     
  8. That Girl

    That Girl Do you have my answers?
    Donor

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Threads:
    29
    Messages:
    1,634
    Likes Received:
    270
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    I think it applies more to questions about how people are feeling. I always want to know why and they can't tell me. It could also apply to their political views or how they view the world. They say that they think a certain way because they feel it is the right way to do things as opposed to having a list of facts as to why they reacted that way.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Ecton

    Ecton Community Member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    894
    Likes Received:
    126
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJr
    That Girl, I think you will find that the people here might be able to do a pretty good job of telling you why they feel a particular way. People here are fairly introspective (its what draws them here, I think ;) ), and the forum medium is a good one for an introspective pace in conversation.

    I know that I have had a symmetric complaint about predominant thinkers. I often ask them why they have chosen a particular set of facts, when there are so many others they could have used, and they cannot tell me!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. That Girl

    That Girl Do you have my answers?
    Donor

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Threads:
    29
    Messages:
    1,634
    Likes Received:
    270
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    I could give you a list of facts explaining why I decided on my list of facts. =D
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Ecton

    Ecton Community Member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2010
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    894
    Likes Received:
    126
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJr
    I'd love to see the closure set. I'm serious.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. TinyBubbles

    TinyBubbles anarchist

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Threads:
    245
    Messages:
    9,350
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    2,217
    Trophy Points:
    966
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    .
    thinkers = don't feel, are heartless, emotionless and excel at analysis & maths/science

    feelers = don't think, are illogical, highly empathic, caring and selfless

    both positive and negative stereotypes are pretty misleading imo, because people are more complex than that. i think pretty much everyone has the potential to be any kind of person, given the right circumstances.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,392
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,777
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Feeler = crybaby, good at writing in school

    Thinker = butthole, good at math and science

    Wrong for the most part but based on some truth.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #13 the, May 1, 2010
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  14. soulseeker

    soulseeker Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Threads:
    77
    Messages:
    1,112
    Likes Received:
    109
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ

    :) :) :) bwahahhaha

    I always say that line "I feel that.......... "
    and my INTP/J( I'm not sure) friend doesn't quite like that answer too.. well she tells me she understands. I don't think she does. I can "feel" (ahahahaha) that she just doesn't want to discuss why I always answer with "I feel.. blah blah blah" because I won't be able to explain why I feel that. :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Quinlan

    Quinlan Right the First Time!

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2008
    Threads:
    160
    Messages:
    4,066
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    316
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Just because I am an F doesn't mean I am friendly, nice or project "warmth". I can be as cold and indifferent as anyone particularly towards strangers.

    Jung regarding Fi:

    Sometimes the Fi user hardly seems like the stereotypical "F" at all:

     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    acd likes this.
  16. NeverAmI

    NeverAmI Satisclassifaction
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2009
    Threads:
    197
    Messages:
    8,794
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    939
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Thinker = Mean

    Feeler = Nice
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Gaze likes this.
  17. WaeV

    WaeV Community Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2009
    Threads:
    15
    Messages:
    242
    Likes Received:
    19
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    -+/=
    Enneagram:
    ...
    Here's an example:
    I've been presented with facts all my life, and some of them conflict. If Joe Schmoe tells me that leaves are green because green pigment is a byproduct of trees and a nature journal tells me that green is the optimal color to absorb light energy for plants, I'll go with the nature journal because it's a more reliable source. If all I had been presented with was Joe's statement and it contradicted none of my current facts, I would have accepted Joe's. Trouble can occur when I do too much thinking on a related subject and integrate ideas. Maybe my idea of why trees burn is related to what Joe said about pigments, and when I hear the nature journal's description I might not immediately accept it. I like to think that this exclusion doesn't happen so often, but people ARE exposed to a lot of new information every day.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Gaze likes this.
Loading...

Share This Page