Feeler/Thinker Stereotypes? | INFJ Forum

Feeler/Thinker Stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by Gaze, May 1, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Gaze
  1. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    There are quite a few misconceptions, generalizations, and poorly derived assumptions mentioned and reinforced in the discussion of personality type.

So, the question is what are some of the feeler or thinker stereotypes we're quick to accept and act on whether on this board or otherwise?

And this includes stereotypes and taken for granted assumptions about yourselves based on your belief that we are feeler or thinker?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Two common ones:

Feeler = Emotional Whiny Bitch
    Thinker = Heartless Robotic Drone

When I first introduce people to MBTI people will sometimes think something like that, the most common thing though is people will think judging means judgemental.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    I agree with the J being thought of as Judgemental, maybe it should be O for organizing.

#3 Barnabas, May 1, 2010
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  4. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Agree.

5. Zero Angel

Zero Angel Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Possibly 4w5
    Myth: People who appear hard nosed or bossy are almost certainly T types.

Myth: Introverts don't talk much, or are serious people.

I also think that the labels (ie: thinking/feeling) might need to be changed so that they're more easily interpreted especially by beginners to MBTI.

#5 Zero Angel, May 1, 2010
  6. That Girl

That Girl Do you have my answers?
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    A myth that I felt for a long time was that people who follow predominantly feelings are wishy-washy. I hated how I would ask them why they answered a question in a certain way and the answer would always be "well, I had this feeling."

I've come to accept the differences in others. I may not understand but I accept.

"I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Denis Diderot

7. Soulful

Soulful life is good

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Fantastic quote. I'm curious what you mean by "follow"? Are there certain situations to which this applies (more so than others)?

8. That Girl

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    I think it applies more to questions about how people are feeling. I always want to know why and they can't tell me. It could also apply to their political views or how they view the world. They say that they think a certain way because they feel it is the right way to do things as opposed to having a list of facts as to why they reacted that way.

9. Ecton

Ecton Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJr
    That Girl, I think you will find that the people here might be able to do a pretty good job of telling you why they feel a particular way. People here are fairly introspective (its what draws them here, I think ;) ), and the forum medium is a good one for an introspective pace in conversation.

I know that I have had a symmetric complaint about predominant thinkers. I often ask them why they have chosen a particular set of facts, when there are so many others they could have used, and they cannot tell me!

10. That Girl

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    I could give you a list of facts explaining why I decided on my list of facts. =D

11. Ecton

Ecton Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJr
    I'd love to see the closure set. I'm serious.

12. TinyBubbles

TinyBubbles anarchist

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    thinkers = don't feel, are heartless, emotionless and excel at analysis & maths/science

feelers = don't think, are illogical, highly empathic, caring and selfless

both positive and negative stereotypes are pretty misleading imo, because people are more complex than that. i think pretty much everyone has the potential to be any kind of person, given the right circumstances.

13. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Feeler = crybaby, good at writing in school

Thinker = butthole, good at math and science

Wrong for the most part but based on some truth.

#13 the, May 1, 2010
  14. soulseeker

soulseeker Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ

:) :) :) bwahahhaha

I always say that line "I feel that.......... "
    and my INTP/J( I'm not sure) friend doesn't quite like that answer too.. well she tells me she understands. I don't think she does. I can "feel" (ahahahaha) that she just doesn't want to discuss why I always answer with "I feel.. blah blah blah" because I won't be able to explain why I feel that. :)

15. Quinlan

Quinlan Right the First Time!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Just because I am an F doesn't mean I am friendly, nice or project "warmth". I can be as cold and indifferent as anyone particularly towards strangers.

Jung regarding Fi:

Sometimes the Fi user hardly seems like the stereotypical "F" at all:

acd likes this.
  16. NeverAmI

NeverAmI Satisclassifaction
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Thinker = Mean

Feeler = Nice

Gaze likes this.
  17. WaeV

WaeV Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    -+/=
    Enneagram:
    Here's an example:
    I've been presented with facts all my life, and some of them conflict. If Joe Schmoe tells me that leaves are green because green pigment is a byproduct of trees and a nature journal tells me that green is the optimal color to absorb light energy for plants, I'll go with the nature journal because it's a more reliable source. If all I had been presented with was Joe's statement and it contradicted none of my current facts, I would have accepted Joe's. Trouble can occur when I do too much thinking on a related subject and integrate ideas. Maybe my idea of why trees burn is related to what Joe said about pigments, and when I hear the nature journal's description I might not immediately accept it. I like to think that this exclusion doesn't happen so often, but people ARE exposed to a lot of new information every day.

Gaze likes this.