Extrovert/introvert | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Extrovert/introvert

Hey dead, I can't remember where, but there are a lot of sites devoted to how types grow their other functions to attain balance as they age.

If I recall correctly, a person's primary function grows during adolescence, then the secondary during the teen years and early adulthood. 30s-40s for the tertiary, and 40s-50s for inferior. For me, that meant Ti and Ne early in life. Then working on Si. Finally I am now starting to work on Fe.

I have an interesting background in this stuff, but I am still learning as I go along. About 12 years ago I took one test and it was INFJ even then. I forgot about it until I found a link to this board after taking the tests again. I've read a couple of Jung's books and learned his terminologies, and have a 32 year background in medicine. Eight years ago I was hospitalized for acute and chronic depression, and then re-hospitalized five years ago. In that time I had a hundred group and individual therapy sessions, and became obsessed with learning about my disease and learning tools I could use to help me stay well. In the last eight years I've also routinely gone to self-help psychology groups, even to the point of becoming a trained facilitator for NAMI (nat'l assoc on mental illness). Actually I've been much more of a student after I quit college than when I was going. I could learn what I wanted to learn and not be forced to vomit information back to professors. I've gone deeply into the rabbit holes. I've been very lucky to have some wonderful mentors, the last a Surgeon who was in the top ten of his class at Cal Tech whose double major was pre-med and electrical engineering. This is where my interest in Ham Radio comes from. Doc also had a history of depression and we used to talk about this stuff all the time as we had lunch before Surgery or during breaks between Surgeries. I'd guess you'd say I don't have a traditional education, but I've done fairly well anyway. Knowing what you know is one thing, but for me, it is more important that I realize what I don't know, if that makes any sense.