Extremely expressive facial expressions and body language | INFJ Forum

Extremely expressive facial expressions and body language

ENTroP

Community Member
Nov 24, 2009
MBTI
ENTx
Another thing I have noticed about INFJs.

Example:
The other day we were watching a movie, and we got to a scene where the characters were riding a scary rollercoaster. The INFJ in the room had her hand to her chest and an expression of terror on her face. I took a picture and poked fun at her.

This is just one example. It is really hilarious, because this particular INFJ is very easy to read. If annoyed, her face is annoyed, if bored, looks around.

Its very cute!

Are any of you guys like that?

Example:
The other day we were watching a movie, and we got to a scene where the characters were riding a scary rollercoaster. The INFJ in the room had her hand to her chest and an expression of terror on her face. I took a picture and poked fun at her.

This is just one example. It is really hilarious, because this particular INFJ is very easy to read. If annoyed, her face is annoyed, if bored, looks around.

Its very cute!

Are any of you guys like that?

I have been accused of being expressionless a lot of the time. My mother called me "the little stone face" when I was a kid.

I think you have the wrong personality type in this case. I don't think INFJs are the most overtly expressive personality type. They are more likely to keep their feelings or emotions fairly private unless they're in the company of those they like, know, or trust. I think other ES/EN types are probably more facially expressive than they'd ever be. Some can correct me if i'm wrong.

My face naturally looks a bit like a frown, so people always think I am constantly negative, whereas it is usually quite the opposite.

I am generally not the most expressive, although I do become animated when I am focusing on entertaining.

I'm actually a person who can be easily read. When I'm neutral I tend to have a pretty emotionless expression but if I'm angry I'll show it off to people even though I try to hide it; if happy, I'll be smiling and transmit those expressions very delightfully.

Last edited:
I'm capable of some wacky expressions when there's a photo op, but generally, I'm pretty neutral and my body language is pretty darn difficult to read.

I'm capable of some wacky expressions when there's a photo op, but generally, I'm pretty neutral and my body language is pretty darn difficult to read.

My INTJ best friend still can't read me. In fact, the only person I know who can read me is an INFP I met years ago, but she could read me from the moment we met. Otherwise, I'm constantly being told I'm a hard person to read, or am shown that people misinterpret me. It's gotten me in a lot of trouble because people tend to make assumptions based on what they think they are seeing.

I think you have the wrong personality type in this case. I don't think INFJs are the most overtly expressive personality type. They are more likely to keep their feelings or emotions fairly private unless they're in the company of those they like, know, or trust. I think other ES/EN types are probably more facially expressive than they'd ever be. Some can correct me if i'm wrong.

Yes, agreed. It's only when I'm extremely happy or angry that it becomes fairly evident. Most times, I have a neutral face on. :)

I'm constantly being told I'm a hard person to read, or am shown that people misinterpret me. It's gotten me in a lot of trouble because people tend to make assumptions based on what they think they are seeing.

x2

There's another interesting point to add to all this, which is, even if someone is facially expressive, doesn't mean they're easy to read. It's easily assumed that you can tell how someone feels or thinks based on how open their facial expressions seem. And that's not the case in many instances. So, even if we are expressive, it doesn't mean, our expressiveness is a direct reflection of what we feel or think. We may simply be exercising Fe, creating an environment where others feel comfortable.

There's another interesting point to add to all this, which is, even if someone is facially expressive, doesn't mean they're easy to read. It's easily assumed that you can tell how someone feels or thinks based on how open their facial expressions seem. And that's not the case in many instances. So, even if we are expressive, it doesn't mean, our expressiveness is a direct reflection of what we feel or think. We may simply be exercising Fe, creating an environment where others feel comfortable.

:m083: perhaps.

My mother (probably INFJ, possibly INFP) seems to have unusually pronounced expressions, but I don't know if it is really involuntary. (Expressions involving the hands, especially, would seem to be deliberate rather than automatic, and so might be more indicative of a person's preferred demeanor than of natural tendencies.)

i can be quite expressive with my hands, though my face is pretty much an emotionless slate much of the time. i've noticed that during times when i am consciously expressing an emotion on my face, it may seem vividly apparent to me and yet not be physically transmitted to the other person.

this is somewhat disconcerting, especially involving smiles because i seem to feel smiles well up inside me so to speak instead of physically expressing the entirety of that feeling (and being aware that it is not coming across).

i find that the expressions many people need, especially extraverted sensing types, for communication may be considered over-done in comparison to the normal range of expression of introverted intuitives. i find we can be subtlely intense and be comfortable or even prefer being less verbose. this is just a generalization from personal experience.

Example:

And you're 23 years old? Strange behaviour, not to mention immature.

I can become quite animated and expressive when I want to be. Like If I'm watching a film with my family, I do want to join in the fun and proceed to be drawn into the experience so I will willfully become expressive. Otherwise, I'm a pro at exhibiting the famous poker face. Completely expressionless, blank expression. : )

And you're 23 years old? Strange behaviour, not to mention immature.

She's very close to me, we've known each other for years. Granted, I am a bit immature, but it was hilarious, and everyone got a good laugh out of it! (Including her, the fun poking was not malicious!!!)

:p

But, yea, reading these posts makes me wonder if I'm typing her correctly. The other possibility is that, as she was not aware of her expressions, maybe you guys aren't either! lol

Last edited:
She's very close to me, we've known each other for years. Granted, I am a bit immature, but it was hilarious, and everyone got a good laugh out of it! (Including her, the fun poking was not malicious!!!)

:p

But, yea, reading these posts makes me wonder if I'm typing her correctly. The other possibility is that, as she was not aware of her expressions, maybe you guys aren't either! lol

You know, I'm wondering if u really have typed her correctly...

If she was an INFJ, she probably would have felt some degree of pain and frustration of you and others laughing at her, and may have remained neutral to hide her hurt pride. I could be wrong tho, but I am just speaking for myself anyways, lol...

Anyways, I'm just implying that as INFJ's are particularly sensitive, and they donj't want to burden others with their feelings, if she is INFJ, maybe just play it down with her because I'm sure if u knew it hurt her at all, you'd stop :)

(and don't think she'll tell u if you hurt her if you ask her, she'll likely not share this) ;)