Evolution vs. Creationism | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

Evolution vs. Creationism

Well, I think spirituality would probably be a better term than religion; organized religion has produced many issues, I'll admit. However, spirituality cannot be written off in the name of science; that's unhealthy for people. We do have souls; we do have emotions, and to try to completely ignore that because it's not "logical" is problematic.

I would also like to point out that science has not been always free of corruption or just in any sense. I don't feel like getting too strongly into this, since most of the arguments on both sides have a lot to do with perception. Naturally, there's a way to look at religion that does not put it into a completely negative sense; there's a huge number of people affiliated with religion, so it can't be all bad. Likewise, there's a dark side of science.

I agree with your points; however, I do not believe that those are all the points. It's good to look objectively at a problem, but also to be able to look at both sides in a subjective way to both issues.

Well, I think spirituality would probably be a better term than religion; organized religion has produced many issues, I'll admit. However, spirituality cannot be written off in the name of science; that's unhealthy for people. We do have souls; we do have emotions, and to try to completely ignore that because it's not "logical" is problematic.

I would also like to point out that science has not been always free of corruption or just in any sense. I don't feel like getting too strongly into this, since most of the arguments on both sides have a lot to do with perception. Naturally, there's a way to look at religion that does not put it into a completely negative sense; there's a huge number of people affiliated with religion, so it can't be all bad. Likewise, there's a dark side of science.

I agree with your points; however, I do not believe that those are all the points. It's good to look objectively at a problem, but also to be able to look at both sides in a subjective way to both issues.

I agree

What's a soul?

Do you want the Wikipedia definition, the Christian definition, the Buddhist definition or the philosophical definition?
o.o
There's a lot of speculation. You're not being very specific.

He is being sarcastic. :tongue1:

I'm serious! Whatever definition you identify with.

Governments, kingdoms, entities cause much grief at times, so let us not talk about those things and let us concentrate on what? People? Culture?
Individual King's rules have had their dark sides and their bright sides.....well, many of them. To paint religion so vehemently with such paint is totally unfair and biased, but exactly what I personally expected by those that feel so against religion. Yes: against. What is darkness, anyway? Can there be a viable, scientific explanation of darkness without the use of light? If darkness is the absence of something, how can it exist? Shall I become against science? I think not. Shall I take the time to show things to those that have a closed mind? That I have spent many years trying to understand? That others have troubled themselves to help me with? How shall I fill an empty glass when it is turned upside down on the table?
It shows to me the unwillingness to want anything when the glass is turned upside down and the glass will be removed from the table.

So why does conciousness require spirituality?

My definition of the soul is the self, complete on a conscious and subconscious level, from basic sensory input to the inner primal knowledge.

So why does conciousness require spirituality?
Who said it did?
I'm just saying what term I identify it with. You can look at the "Soul" being simply our temporary consciousness or you can see the spirit being a transcendent consciousness that continues on after death. I think the point of our "Soul" in any sense is to remember it's origin: Explanations of the existence of our consciousness.

My identification: Consciousness is our "Soul". Whether or not it continues on or whether it is something spiritual is up for debate. My personal belief is that we're part of a whole. I don't believe in God(I'm Agnostic) but I'm a spiritual person. Your personal beliefs may completely differ. I feel no need to justify my own beliefs; however I don't mind explaining them.

The Hebrew word "nephesh" actually means any living creature.
...."and man became a living soul."

GO said we need spirituality because we have souls, I'm just curious about the link.

Is a soul without spirituality unhealthy?

Spirituality = good deeds?

In science we have cause and effect. What is the effect of good deeds?

...and what is the cause of good deeds?

In science we have cause and effect. What is the effect of good deeds?

We have cause and effect of physical phenomenon, not necessarily morality. You're equivocating "cause and effect" completely out of context.

Are not actions physical ?

Are not actions physical ?

Sure, but any action we take isn't innately "good" or "bad." There's no physical energy or phenomenon that can be called good or bad. Electricity is a physical energy, karma/good will/etc are not. Hence, we can say that the effect of completing an electrical circuit is it turns on the light, but we can't say that the effect of "good deeds" (which is a vague and subjective term anyways) is anything physical at all.

Last edited: