Emotional intensity | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Emotional intensity

I get the feeling that an emotionally sensitive person would have more empathy than those who aren't, which allows the mind to be a bit more accepting of ideas that are on the edge of the fence. I think someone can be empathetic to an idea as well as another person. Emotions swing both ways though.

No, that is NOT the case. If you're a male, you need to be very careful who you open up to. You don't want to open up to males before you feel them out, and you need to be careful about opening up to women because some women are made uncomfortable by overly emotional men.

Emotional expression is very limited for males in our society. You can find support, but it isn't as easy to find, and you'll need to be careful. There will be a stigma that comes with it. I know I've made a lot of mistakes with this, and some I really feel guilty about.

I absolutely agree.

I would say that I am emotionally intense. As I get older I am more passionate about life and learning. And I am always worried about death. I spend time in cemeteries because I like the quiet. I will say hello and thank you to the people there and sit with them and listen. I used to think it was not a good thing being me. I have changed my mind on that.

Reactions: Ria
I think in black and whites, so that's pretty extreme. Been trying not to do it and improve upon myself but tis' hard to do.

Wow. I can relate to almost every item on that list, scary! I'd say that when I was younger I had a harder time managing it. My strategy was generally to withdraw from people, and express my feelings through writing and art, which I rarely shared.

As I've gotten older, leaving home for university, and then working in a business environment have helped me to see that I can function among other people, and I've become more accepting of my quirks. There are still times when it's hard to "manage" my emotions. Sometimes I do things like go for walks after meetings with rude clients, because I need to calm myself down. And I do still turn to writing for therapy. I think I'm still learning how to deal with it all, but I don't feel the need to shut myself away from the world anymore... at least, not all the time. =)

I get the feeling that an emotionally sensitive person would have more empathy than those who aren't, which allows the mind to be a bit more accepting of ideas that are on the edge of the fence. I think someone can be empathetic to an idea as well as another person. Emotions swing both ways though.

I think this is one of the greatest advantages of being emotionally sensitive.
Maybe we can all be like that someday soon :angel:

I think I have natural empathy, infact I know this about myself. It's hard though when extreme emotion is involved though inicially, to be objective rather than subjective. Being too subjective cuts out empathy because my focus in too internal, leaving me blind temporarily to the big picture. After some reflection though, I can see it again.

It's with the closest relationships where I have my deepest and closest feelings invested, where I feel the most emotionally vulnerable.

I guess most of us here, are similar...

I definitely can say that the full list applies to me, but I can also say that I'm known for ages regardless that my emotional intensity is pretty high. However it's been something that for a long time I was deeply ashamed of as well...

No, that is NOT the case. If you're a male, you need to be very careful who you open up to. You don't want to open up to males before you feel them out, and you need to be careful about opening up to women because some women are made uncomfortable by overly emotional men.

Emotional expression is very limited for males in our society. You can find support, but it isn't as easy to find, and you'll need to be careful. There will be a stigma that comes with it. I know I've made a lot of mistakes with this, and some I really feel guilty about.

Growing up, it seemed that any male role models I had seemed to be extremely emotionally sparse in their interactions, with light joking or yelling about something. My dad was especially rigid in expression from what I saw, but I also considered him to be the definition of what a guy is supposed to turn out like. The fact that mine were always like a faucet on full blast left me feeling that I wasn't able to live up to being the sort that they were.

I'm working my way out of being ashamed of myself, but it made things extremely hard during those years. Finally have been realizing that it's not something that's making me a worse person. I am still a bit guarded about it, but I've at least been trying to give myself some sort of a break.

Reactions: Ria

This is why most of my closest friends have been women but those same women I never date despite the fact that I would have loved to. I expressed my emotions to them because I could not do the same with men and if I made a move to date them they turned me away because I was not manly enough.
Emotional intesity ruled my life as a teen. I can honestly say I went through hell. It took some serious delving into spirituality for me to learn to put a cap on most of my negative emotions. I no longer really ever get angry and my normal state is happiness but I do get really sad usally when I've been let down by my connections. After a break up I'm a wreck.
I have always been at the top of my class in regards to marks when I applied myself even a little but I rarely applied myself. I found school to be... wrong I guess is the word. I would rather enjoy learning from a book myself something that I wanted to learn than sit in a classroom and focus on something I wasn't fully interested in.
If I had to do things over I would never have done my time in college and university and I know I would have learnt more and been happier.

...how do you relate to the descriptions below?

Do you experience any or all of the following characteristics? How did it affect you when you were young, and/or as you've gotten older? How did you handle or learn to manage those characteristics?

http://giftedservices.com.au/StartingPoints/EmotionalIntensity.html

I don't think I ever thought to manage it during childhood. I was well known for the phrase "When do we go home?" at the mall, at a party etc. And in high school I used to always tag along with whoever was headed to the cafeteria.. the long crowded hallway, and then into the giant cafeteria with all the students sitting down eating chatting. I remember in my first years in college I used to cut my lunch up into tiny pieces and I'd eat them as I walked around.. instead of sitting someplace to eat. I also used to wander into the bathroom for 'resting periods' @_@

It's definitely intensified since I moved out of my parents'. At first I was bright eyed but talked in a very gruff voice (so many years being mute). Then getting used to strangers all the time, I'm much louder now. But it took a different turn, as I progressed through school... I was getting more and more tired and then I came across The Introvert Advantage: How to live in an extrovert world, among many other books.. and also the word "HSP."

I've been interested in languages and art since I was a child, moreso languages.. but as I'm getting older, I'm finding more and more use for art. It's become a way of therapy and also of controlling my environment and life. I'm more connected to it than ever before and learning about myself by paying attention to what I am drawn to.. and also, sensitivities to light, noise and how I can lower or heighten them. Creating your own clothes, designing your apartment, making pictures, cooking, choosing where to work and how to get there etc you really get more of a sense you have a real life and you are not just surviving each day.

I hit a bottomless pit some months ago. I was not taking as good care of myself.. I had to study. It's like inside I feel someone trying to make contact.

I've noticed emotional sensitivity tends to go both ways -that is, those who are emotionally sensitive to painful experiences, are also likely to be more appreciative and uplifted by more mundane reality. It's like the volume of your sensory experience has been turned up a notch, across the board. It can be a good thing I think; it certainly makes dancing to the music that much more natural :p
I definitely agree! XD
I think I must be pretty emotionally sensitive, as I fit... all the items on the list as far as I can tell. I find small things can make my day, like sunlight making a tree look pretty or something. Small things... ^^"

bump

Emotional intensity in gifted people is not a matter of feeling more than other people, it is a different way of experiencing the world: vivid, absorbing, penetrating, encompassing, complex, commanding... ...
...a way of being quiveringly alive.

Wow. I resonate strongly to this.
I've often felt that beautiful things are more painful for those that are lonely. And the loneliness only increases the tragedy of the beauty, making it 10x10 more painfully beautiful.

Maybe I'm off topic.

Reactions: Gaze