Dramatic flip-flop from Stone! | INFJ Forum

Dramatic flip-flop from Stone!

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
I think I'm an ISFP, shocking I know. :shock:

I was thinking about what I posted in the "do you really" thread under my interests;

I like; fishing(Se), surfing(Se), swimming(Se), snorkelling(Se), travelling(Se), reading, graphic design(Se) (I'm not very good), trying to play the guitar(Se), video games, computer games, surfing the web/forums, watching movies/dvds (Se)(hate most TV though), listening to music(Se), pondering (Fi/Ni), writing poems(Fi), painting(Se), drawing(Se), watching sports(Se), stargazing(Se) and much more!

I would also love to take up photography(Se).

That's an awful lot of Extraverted sensing for an INFJ!

I also had the words G.kai ringing in my ears;
if there is any doubt you're INFJ, you're probably not.

These aren't the only reasons I think I am ISFP, everything I have read about them so far fits me to a T.

However in case you were wondering I will still post here, I admire INFJ's so much that I think I wanted to be one. You guys a great!

Please disregard all mention of my being an INFJ (for now), I'm sorry if I have made anyone feel deceived by this.

Oh rats now we're going to have to kick you out! Gee and I really liked you too!

Thanks (about the liking bit, not the kicking out bit :p ), you guys are even rarer now!

I'm not sure about that... a lot of those activities can be enjoyed for reasons other than Se. Graphic design, painting, drawing, and poems can all be Ni (the resident MBTI expert on INTPf said poetry is almost always Ni... I'm thinking that the others may be too then). Music can definitely be Ti if you like the structure of the piece or Fi if you like the moods it envokes, and fishing/stargazing are definitely not Se intensive (I think an Se would get bored with them, because there's not very much to look at or experience with them... but I'll ask my ESFP friend when I get back to college if you want). Pondering... well... I think that's a mix of Ti, Ni, and Fi, depending on "how" you're pondering. I do a lot of laying around thinking about myself and others, and there's no way I'm anything but intp.

Just because they use senses doesn't make them an activity that the Se delights in. Our brains are so thick with associations to different activities that you could enjoy many of these for any number of stimulated functions.

Trust an INTP to nitpick. :p

Did you miss this?

These aren't the only reasons I think I am ISFP, everything I have read about them so far fits me to a T.

My interests were just what got me started thinking about more Se orientated types.

To me all of those interests I listed as Se, I enjoy them because of the sensations involved.

I don't write poetry often, when I do it involves working up deep emotions and this can take some time, once I feel enough emotion then I start making poetic connections. To me this feels like Fi drawing out tertiary Ni.

I could care less about the structure of a piece of music, however I do like this
or Fi if you like the moods it envokes
which fits with ISFP.

When I'm fishing I'm looking for fish splashes/birds, admiring the scenery, listening to the waves, feeling the bites, smelling the salt and tasting the fish when I get home (if i'm lucky). For me it's a very sensual experience.

When I gaze at the stars, I am admiring the aesthetic beauty of the stars, I love how if I wait I will see more and more, sometimes I feel a sense of wonder and desire for exploration, this could be Fi & Ni.

Pondering... well... I think that's a mix of Ti, Ni, and Fi, depending on "how" you're pondering.

ISFPs have both Fi and Ni, I think I'm probably a ISFP with well developed tertiary Ni.

It also explains why I'm so in love with an ESFJ (apparently that's a good match).

tee hee gotcha, gotcha. lol I seriously do not know what my brain did to that line, but when I read it I thought it said the descriptions of INFJ fit you to a T, but your interests line up much better with ISFPs.

Cool though! I can't say I blame you, I thought the description for INFJs was pretty sweet too :D

but does the ISFP profile line up with you?

Which are you Idealist, or Artisan? there's a world of difference they're polar opposites.

ShaiGar said:

Which are you Idealist, or Artisan? there's a world of difference they're polar opposites.
Knowing several ISFPs, I can tell you that the difference only appears big on paper.

Interesting... that would mean we have the same cognitive functions just in different orders.

Anyhoo, you snuck in the back door and deceived all of us but we've accepted you now so your membership won't be voided :p

Glad you feel you've found a type you can relate to.

Silently Honest said:
ShaiGar said:

Knowing several ISFPs, I can tell you that the difference only appears big on paper.
From having a sister who is an ISFP, and living with her, I know those differences are NOT just on paper.

Since INFJs and ISFPs have different interaction styles, that might be one way to verify if you are one or the other.

http://www.bestfittype.com/interactionstyles.html

INFJ = Chart-the-Course
ISFP = Behind-the-Scenes

I used interactions styles to verify that I am INFJ as opposed to INFP. For years I thought that I was an INFP because I'm not exactly a stereotypical "J". :)

ShaiGar said:

The ones I have read do, which ones do you think are the best/most accurate?

I'm not sure, could you tell me more about the differences?

blackbird said:
Since INFJs and ISFPs have different interaction styles, that might be one way to verify if you are one or the other.

http://www.bestfittype.com/interactionstyles.html

INFJ = Chart-the-Course
ISFP = Behind-the-Scenes

I used interactions styles to verify that I am INFJ as opposed to INFP. For years I thought that I was an INFP because I'm not exactly a stereotypical "J". :)

I relate to them both but I think I prefer Chart the Course, hmmm *confused* :|

However I relate much more to this:

Composer Producer (ISFP)

Taking advantage of opportunities. Stick with what’s important. Talent for pulling together what is just right. Creative problem solving. Building relationships. Attracting the loyalties of others. Being their own true self. Have their own personal style. Play against expectations. Struggle with nurturing their own self-esteem.

Than this:

Foreseer Developer (INFJ)

Personal growth. Sustain the vision. Honoring the gifts of others. Taking a creative approach to life. Talent for foreseeing. Exploring issues. Bridge differences and connect people. Practical problem solving. Live with a sense of purpose. Living an idealistic life often presents them with a great deal of stress and a need to withdraw.

The fact that I'm open to being talked back around to another type makes me even more sure I'm a P.

It could be that you're taking on some of the personality traits of your girlfriend, love will do that and it's a good thing.

She is quite J, so I have been much more aware of J things since I've been with her (3 1/2 years). So it's possible that clouded my test results.

I'm enneagram 9 and that seems to fit much better with ISFP.

Just curious, do I come across on the interweb as a typical INFJ?

Very much so.

Stone: I've known only one other INFJ in the flesh since I first discovered my type over 20 years ago, and I just met her within the last year. So far, the only people I've known who wish they were INFJ are NT types - I've done a lot of things they dream of doing: I'm a musician, I've published a novel, written medical articles, and most of my jobs have been in professions that help other people. I think INFJs have a lot in common with NT types, but mostly a high T score. From my experience in this life, I wouldn't wish the INFJ thing onto anyone. For me, my personality has been a constant problem. Certain kinds of people tell me I'm warm and compassionate and a nurturing kind of person, that I am able to sometimes discern their needs before they ask, and how they enjoy my company. I don't experience me that way at all, except that I do enjoy my alone time. For me, I am never more lonely than when I am with other people, and part of it might be that I just don't fit in with anybody else. I would describe my life as being very similar to walking through a minefield, trying to be so careful never to hurt anyone, and hurting many people when I go through a metamorphosis, which occurs once every few years. Daily life is a struggle for mental health - always has been. I have come here hoping to find some other crazies, and I'm especially looking for feedback about what I believe the intuitive mind really means to this planet. I've been shy with that part so far because I doubt myself on these things so much. Of course, I never doubt my type - only what it means in terms of real sanity. I'd have to say the true hallmark of my own experience as an INFJ is the feeling of not belonging, to the point that I wondered if I belonged here, even with others of my type. I don't know if others here wrestle with this kind of alienation, but remember I'm an older person, and I hope these testing instruments help younger people in the intuitive minority feel good about who they are, and what their existence means for humankind.

G.Kai I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to tell me.

What does it mean to be an intuitive?

G.Kai said:
Stone: I've known only one other INFJ in the flesh since I first discovered my type over 20 years ago, and I just met her within the last year. So far, the only people I've known who wish they were INFJ are NT types - I've done a lot of things they dream of doing: I'm a musician, I've published a novel, written medical articles, and most of my jobs have been in professions that help other people. I think INFJs have a lot in common with NT types, but mostly a high T score. From my experience in this life, I wouldn't wish the INFJ thing onto anyone. For me, my personality has been a constant problem. Certain kinds of people tell me I'm warm and compassionate and a nurturing kind of person, that I am able to sometimes discern their needs before they ask, and how they enjoy my company. I don't experience me that way at all, except that I do enjoy my alone time. For me, I am never more lonely than when I am with other people, and part of it might be that I just don't fit in with anybody else. I would describe my life as being very similar to walking through a minefield, trying to be so careful never to hurt anyone, and hurting many people when I go through a metamorphosis, which occurs once every few years. Daily life is a struggle for mental health - always has been. I have come here hoping to find some other crazies, and I'm especially looking for feedback about what I believe the intuitive mind really means to this planet. I've been shy with that part so far because I doubt myself on these things so much. Of course, I never doubt my type - only what it means in terms of real sanity. I'd have to say the true hallmark of my own experience as an INFJ is the feeling of not belonging, to the point that I wondered if I belonged here, even with others of my type. I don't know if others here wrestle with this kind of alienation, but remember I'm an older person, and I hope these testing instruments help younger people in the intuitive minority feel good about who they are, and what their existence means for humankind.

Sounds very INFJ to me . . I think we all suffer from self-doubt, lack of self-esteem, feelings of alienation, depression, etc, in varying degrees. You're not alone in that GKai.
And of course we want you here!