DON'T Save the World, and it will be Saved. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

DON'T Save the World, and it will be Saved.

To me, it seems that today we have become more oblivious to our ideas and beliefs than ever before. Ask someone what changes he/she thinks should be made to the world. It is likely that the person will tell you to stop annoying him/her, or will provide an answer without understanding the reasoning behind the opinion. We should help people make their own leather shoes, but without their knowledge so they can't decide not to let us.

This thread is reminding me of a book called "Feed". It's a futuristic dystopia where big corporation and advertising virtually control everyones minds to the point that they are oblivious to the world around them. I can only think that without people with honest and caring attitudes sharing their beliefs, someone else who only cares about money and power will share theirs and probably win out.

"Feed" is fantastic by the way.

Reactions: Sandie33
I agree with the quote, but only to a degree.
Wide-spread attention must be maintained for change,
even if it occurs slowly. One person or group can do only
so much even if they've caught their stride. It's also entirely
possible that caring for others less, while prompting attention to this or that,
will force them to make choices of responsibility and grow into themselves.
Balance. Love does not always come in the warm, sugary flavor -
it can be hard, too.

Edit: just realized my post wandered.
Yes, ripples go inward as well as out.
Stronger ripples - not always biggest -
can create tidal waves that strengthen
all involved (validation). Do change, for
our actions are formative. To quote
mister Shakespeare: "Nothing can come
from nothing".

Last edited:
Sadly, I find this view slightly naive. Not that it wouldn't be nice. While the leather analogy is nice when you're talking about individuals who's only issue with each other is an adherence to different ideologies, our decadence and self-absorbed feelings of entitlement won't help starving children.

Sorry about the buzzkill.

I agree with this.

If you go around telling other people how to save the world and how they should be more like you and this is what we have to do and blah blah blah they're probably just going to look at you and think 'why should we listen to YOU?', and you'll end up being resented.

But if you can lead by example and whatever you're doing is effective, then chances are someone is going to look at what you're doing and say 'wow, maybe I should do that too'.

Sadly, I find this view slightly naive. Not that it wouldn't be nice. While the leather analogy is nice when you're talking about individuals who's only issue with each other is an adherence to different ideologies, our decadence and self-absorbed feelings of entitlement won't help starving children.
I think it's definitely the old airplane advice of putting the lifemask on yourself first and then helping your companions. Covering the world in leather I think is a metaphore for people trying to "improve" the world because they find it a scary/cruel place and who help to appease their fears. This is conditional help. Helping out of fear. Whereas when you have worked firstly on yourself to be in a peaceful fearless state, where you are not influenced by your own needs, you can help in a more effective way. that's when you have put those sandals on your feet and can walk in the world as it is helping. If your feel the impulse to help then you should. It's not what you do but HOW you do it. ;D

I think it's definitely the old airplane advice of putting the lifemask on yourself first and then helping your companions. Covering the world in leather I think is a metaphore for people trying to "improve" the world because they find it a scary/cruel place and who help to appease their fears. This is conditional help. Helping out of fear. Whereas when you have worked firstly on yourself to be in a peaceful fearless state, where you are not influenced by your own needs, you can help in a more effective way. that's when you have put those sandals on your feet and can walk in the world as it is helping. If your feel the impulse to help then you should. It's not what you do but HOW you do it. ;D
I saw something else in the metaphor though, because the putting leather on your feet was offered as the 'alternative' to putting leather on the rest of the world. While I agree with YOU. lol, I don't think I agree with the metaphor.

...."Don't save the world and it'll be saved"
Nah, don't think so.

Is the World meant to be 'saved'? Or is it the catalyst for one to persue salvation?

After all...all the airline's tell you in crisis to put on your own oxygen mask first, this way you are in the position to help another...:)

I love that someone else is bumping all these zombie threads so I don't have to be *that* guy but I can still enjoy the past posts.

When we talk about saving the world, are we talking about saving the Earth or saving Humanity? The quickest way to save the Earth would be to rid it of humanity. We are probably one of the worst things to happen to this planet, and even if we were all to be jettisoned into oblivion this evening it may be too late for nature to self correct for all our destructive mistakes.

If we are talking about saving Humanity ... I don't know that we need to be saved. We are existing as a whole far better than we have ever existed. Can we improve? Of course, there is always room for improvement ... but I don't think it is inherent in homo sapiens nature to be selfless, and as much as nurture and environment and culture can influence who we are, the basic nature of what makes us humans is still there.

Crime pays. Greed pays. The meek will only ever inherit the earth when those in power evacuate it to live on lunar colonies.