DON'T Save the World, and it will be Saved. | INFJ Forum

DON'T Save the World, and it will be Saved.

Seraffa

Community Member
Feb 14, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
"Save YOURSELF, and thousands round you will be saved"
~~St. Seraphim of Sarov; Wonderworker and Clairvoyant

Hey world :m182: kiss mah tootie :m091: I iz gonna go save mah self instead! :m131:

Reactions: soulseeker
Lao Tzu teaches something to the effect of, "Saving the world is akin to covering the world in a layer of leather so you could walk across it barefoot. It is much easier to cover your own feet and walk around in the world as it is."

Debatable. Yet, true in some ways.

You can't force people to change. You can only show them the change. "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Reactions: LoveHiking
Not to mention the leather thing. Once you got the earth covered in leather, someone would complain that it was not ostritch leather, or croc skin, or Italian-tanned for sure :(. Wear your own shoes and be happy promoting the change! :)

This is more or less the philosphy I follow for myself. But it's also not that simple.

Simply making yourself a better person, and working on only you, does not automatically and directly translate to a better world. It requires you to be active with what you have learned, and use it to make the world a better place to fix its problems.

Reactions: Sandie33
I bet the earth would look hot in leather ;D

In all seriousness I do actually share this outlook to a certain extent, especially in the sense of not being able to change others. You can really only change yourself and that is how we grow and mature.

This is more or less the philosphy I follow for myself. But it's also not that simple.

Simply making yourself a better person, and working on only you, does not automatically and directly translate to a better world. It requires you to be active with what you have learned, and use it to make the world a better place to fix its problems.

But if everybody cared about making themselves more peaceful towards other people, there would be more peace. It's a silly-hearted and idealistic view of the world but I think it's the best way.

Or we could just make everybody listen to this song and hold hands across the world at the same time...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FBKa-bCasY"]YouTube - Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole Somewhere Over The Rainbow Lyrics[/ame]

But if everybody cared about making themselves more peaceful towards other people, there would be more peace.

To an extent this is true but in my mind's eye, I see this like two lines that intersect in a field of conflict. They start at separate points converge and then once again diverge. At that point of convergence, I see peace and compromise leaving no space for conflict. However, at some point we must be true and admit that we often suppress a truth in ourselves that should not be suppressed even for peace and once again we diverge. As we diverge the room for conflict grows and even though we might put a civilized face on it the conflict is still there and cannot be ignored. We must live with it and due to our nature, to become attached to our views, I cannot see how there can be any lasting peace, only moments in time.

I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but me. <sighs>

Reactions: grt$5vb
You can't force people to change. You can only show them the change. "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Nod; it's the same with 'democracy.' If it was really all that good, everyone would be trying to steal it from us. In theory, I understand this, but when it comes to political/environmental issues that I typically go on and on about, it's just not that easy to avoid wanting to shake people away and slap some reality into them. At some point I really may have to switch focus and just try to build a bunker somewhere and wait to rebuild later. :m027:

I understand the point that quote is driving at and I agree.

When a person is really striving to make them self the best they can be, I think part of that is also motivating themselves to do good to those surrounding them, and to their environment. That is part of being the best you possible. If this isn't happening I think it is likely that there is a road block preventing you from furthering your self improvement.

Or maybe I would just idealistically like to believe that when people are at their "best" they will automatically work to improve the lives of others.

Reactions: Sandie33
That quote is too general. But I think it talks about positive "egoism" (not being a jerk but having self respect)
Lot of people feel pity for the others and they help them in a way that doesn't make them mature and grow. They should stop involving out of sympathy.
Then people feel pity for themselves, they feel they are victims or they criticize themselves and, because of that, they let people harm them. The first thing they have to do is to develop self esteem and a consistent system of values.
They should not use the world as a way to interchange assistance in everyone's bad existence.
To me, people should get involved in saving the world only when they are able to put restrictions on themselves.

Mostly, to me, it mean's "work on yourself first, and watch things around you fall into place." People want to be around INFJs when they radiate love, warmth & compassion. I can get so cold at times... :( I want to be inspired to love... and I am.

Some people are too weak to save themselves.

/knight in shining armour

I would agree. One has to be and do.

It seems that people these days either are not concerned with promoting the ideas they believe in, don't care enough to figure out what they believe in, or refuse to make changes for fear of offending others.

It seems that people these days either are not concerned with promoting the ideas they believe in, don't care enough to figure out what they believe in, or refuse to make changes for fear of offending others.
Probably true in large measure, and for a good part of human history, too. Thankfully, there are those rare glimmers of hope (in leather shoes) that show us what we truly can be.