Does preference or ability determine type? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Does preference or ability determine type?

This is exactly where my confusion comes when people says "you don't necessarily to like something that you're good at".

Man, I will only spend time to be good at something I like, and only like something that I'm fairly good at when I first started. I just can't comprehend that statement.

I'm good at math -- I just hate it (when it's not applied, anyways). It makes me mad. I do it out of necessity, but I don't like it.

That's kind of what it's referring to, I suppose.

I'm good at math -- I just hate it (when it's not applied, anyways). It makes me mad. I do it out of necessity, but I don't like it.

That's kind of what it's referring to, I suppose.

So it's just me then.

I've heard from more than one INFJ telling me that they are good at Maths but deeply hate it. And I'm stunned. I resist doing anything that I hate. If something is an obligation and if I don't do it I'll face serious consequence, more likely that I'll just do it badly.

Now I gotta learn that people may excel at something that they don't like. =D

I always get

Ti>Ne>Fi=Ni>Si>Te>Fe>Se on this test.

So it's just me then.

I've heard from more than one INFJ telling me that they are good at Maths but deeply hate it. And I'm stunned. I resist doing anything that I hate. If something is an obligation and if I don't do it I'll face serious consequence, more likely that I'll just do it badly.

Now I gotta learn that people may excel at something that they don't like. =D

I don't deeply hate it; I just don't like math for the sake of math. I like applied maths, like physics, so long as I have resources available.

As for effort, I do what I need to in order to get by without looking bad ;)

But yeah, necessity creates a lot of that, especially in school (if you have ambition). Sucks, but fact of life.

I still got INFJ.

Why wouldn't your preferences be the things you are skilled at? Are people going around making their lives harder than necessary? lol.

I would have to respond to that with....
I don't deeply hate it; I just don't like math for the sake of math. I like applied maths, like physics, so long as I have resources available.

As for effort, I do what I need to in order to get by without looking bad ;)

But yeah, necessity creates a lot of that, especially in school (if you have ambition). Sucks, but fact of life.
...and the fact that society values different abilities for different people. Didn't your teachers want you to "show your work"? That's essentially going back with the Ti what the Ni already knew. But I did it because I respected my teachers and didn't want to take their life harder than it already was.

Plus, it's not that I don't like math or physics; I actually find problem solving to be somewhat relaxing after a trying to force creativity for schoolwork. Gives me solid ground, you could say. Make it too complicated though, and I might end up in analysis-paralysis! But that's nothing compared to other pursuits and such. If nothing else, I am of the Catalyst/Idealist temperament.

:m105:

Is this the same test from this thread? Or is it different?

Man, there are far too many quizzes and they'll all tell ya somethin' different. I swear.

ETA: But keep posting! I'm not going to merge the threads. The test might be equal but the link/conversation's different.

Different test, same concept. (Oh wait, but you already knew that. Whoops.)

Edit2: -(Oops, it is the same test, but on a different site.)

Last edited: