Does preference or ability determine type? | INFJ Forum

Does preference or ability determine type?

KazeCraven

Graduated from Typology : May 2011
Donor
Aug 9, 2009
MBTI
IEI
Enneagram
6w5 sp/sx
I took a test here: http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

It basically said that I was an INTP because cognitive processes indicate I am very skilled with Ne,Ni,Ti (in that order) but only "average" in Fe. From what I know about type, I have very good INTP abilities (chameleon-ness, deep analysis, etc.) but what I find important and how I actually make decisions is more like INFJ. In fact, both descriptions generally fit me depending on what part of the descriptions I am looking at.

So in a nutshell, I prefer writing and literature, but am more skilled at engineering-type work. At least by self-report, I trust intuition when it has something to say, but when it's quiet I analyze. I don't want to tell people that I am INFJ and then they discover that I don't have the incredible insight into people that INFJs typically have. Likewise, I don't want to tell people I am INTP but then shy away from activities that an INTP would like.

What would you say? Preference or ability? Or is it something else?

MBTI (by definition) indicates cognitive function preferences.

That said, I rarely test out as INFJ even though I know I am one. I am quite skilled in using Te and Ne in addition to the INFJ functions. My preference order is Ni Fe Ti Se, but this doesn't define what I'm skilled at. I have strong chameleon abilities, analysis, etc. I didn't know I was an INFJ until last January or February. Heck, maybe you're me from the past sent through a time machine! o_O

I'm just saying maybe you're INFJ, maybe not. But MBTI is just a preference order. And it's not perfect either - why does cognitive preference require alternating introverted/extroverted functions? Couldn't someone prefer Ni first and Ne second etc?

Erm... Hope that wasn't too confusing! :)

Thanks, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. The above site implied that, regardless of what we prefer to use, the functions that we use most skillfully determine type, which made me wonder if I had the complete wrong idea of what type theory is.

But of course I knew they were lying to me.:m059:

I don't understand. I've always believe that everyone should be good at the thing they love most. So ability emerges out of preference.

Or maybe I'm simplifying things.

KazeCraven: Why must they lie to you? The test is only supposed to be a useful data point to help you determine your type. (The creators of the assessment also recommend that you take into consideration other data points, namely Keirsey's 4 Temperaments and Berens's 4 Interaction Styles.)

According to the instructions, "understanding the various phrases is part the assessment". So, the assessment isn't all about which function you use most skillfully.

Last edited:
The way I look at it, when I was really young I exhibited extraordinary math skills and received social validation through that. Plus I hung out with my INTP brother for a lot my childhood. But I don't agree that people necessarily like what they are good at. I was really good at playing the trumpet (at least in comparison to others my age) but I didn't really like it.

As for being lied to, maybe I took "This is a serious questionnaire to help you discover what cognitive processes you use well, as opposed to surface behavior or what you value." the wrong way

Your Cognitive Development Profile
The forty-eight questions you rated earlier tap into the eight cognitive processes. Some questions tapped into basic or developed use of a process used by itself, while other questions tapped into use of multiple processes at once. The profile below is based on your responses. The number of squares indicate strength of response. The equivalent numeric is shown in parentheses along with likely level of development.
Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************* (25.4)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************ (24.4)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37.8)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) **************************** (28.5)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************ (24)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************************* (45.8)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************* (37.9)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) **************** (16.4)
limited use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENTP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation​

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INFP
If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.

The Four Temperaments
Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Catalyst; secondly Theorist; then Stabilizer; and lastly, Improviser.

. . . . . . . . .

Your question is such an interesting one because I've had that same query for a while now. When answering these personality typing or cognitive skills questionnaires, we are often answering from internal personal impressions or how we wish we'd like to be or be seen, which is quite separate from how we are. So, yeah, do these responses reflect preference or capacity? Being exposed to particular cognitive processes early on, and having those skills actively developed, will predispose someone to identify with one process or set of processes compared to others.

Last edited:
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ESTP

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ISTP, or ESFP
Hell, it came close.

Last edited:
Oh right.

Cognitive Process
extraverted Sensing (Se)
****************** (18.2)
introverted Sensing (Si) ************* (13.9)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************** (43.0)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************************** (41.6)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************** (22.2)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************************** (41.5)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************************** (29.3)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************* (25.2)

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INFP

This is my 2nd time result btw. My first time I got Fe, Te, and Fi all almost exactly the same. I do find it odd that even though my Ne is higher than my Ti, it puts my Ti as my primary (INTP), whereas TheDaringHatTrick has Ti higher than Ne, and the type came back as ENTP. Weird logic.

Last edited:
Hey! MINE was right!!!

You INFJs are taking the test all wrong.

Ne Ni Si Fi Ti Te Fe Se

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INTP

Oh man. I'm pretty sure I'm not P. The F is a little shaky, it might be a T, but I am NOT P.
I don't really understand these anyways?

Last edited:
My cognitive strength order is in my sig.

Basically, I'm just a chunk of NF. And even then, my Ti is up there too.

Really, it's which ones you use in what order naturally, not how proficient you are with them.

Hey! MINE was right!!!

You INFJs are taking the test all wrong.

Yeah, but you don't believe I'm an INFJ anyway. Any of the above sound right?

Fi Ne Ni Fe
Are my highest every time I take this.

Says I'm INFP cuz I can't find my thinkin' cap.

I still got INFJ.

Why wouldn't your preferences be the things you are skilled at? Are people going around making their lives harder than necessary? lol.

Huh... What the...

I am not sure if I trust the results I got. I will have to think about it:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******** (8.4)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) *************************************** (39.1)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************ (24.8)
average use

introverted Intuiting (Ni)
*********************************************** (47)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************** (32)
good use

introverted Thinking (Ti)
**************** (16.4)
limited use

extraverted Feeling (Fe)
************************************** (38.1)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************** (34.8)
good use

From this I get: Ni > Si > Fe > Fi > Te > Ne > Ti > Se

Nevertheless, It pegged me as an INFJ, with ENFJ/INTJ alternates. I felt like I was being honest when I was answering these. And I am not really in a stressed mindset at all. It just doesn't line up with the code I have determined for myself after taking these a lot. My Si just appears like an outlier. If anyone has any insight/ideas to why, please tell me :D

Last edited:
Is this the same test from this thread? Or is it different?

Man, there are far too many quizzes and they'll all tell ya somethin' different. I swear.

ETA: But keep posting! I'm not going to merge the threads. The test might be equal but the link/conversation's different.

Last edited:
I still got INFJ.

Why wouldn't your preferences be the things you are skilled at? Are people going around making their lives harder than necessary? lol.

This is exactly where my confusion comes when people says "you don't necessarily to like something that you're good at".

Man, I will only spend time to be good at something I like, and only like something that I'm fairly good at when I first started. I just can't comprehend that statement.

Yeah, but you don't believe I'm an INFJ anyway. Any of the above sound right?

I personally have always believed you were an INTP, it's possible that you could be an ENTP, I can't really tell if you're extroverted or introverted.