Does INFJ TYPICALLY get Obsessed with thing? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Does INFJ TYPICALLY get Obsessed with thing?

The-Thing-Marvel-Comics.gif

lol

Yes, I agree that I'm all or nothing, I've demonstrated this attitude ever since I was little

Yes, same. Dive in and soak it all up. Then do that for LONG time until suddenly you find yourself in another pool for a LONG time.

I am an all or nothing person, too. I am also a perfectionist, probably also have a small case of OCD. lol.

I don't like to give up, I want to fight for something 'til I can't fight anymore, then scream for it with my last dying breath. hehe. I am very altruistic.

I suppose these things make me seem obsessed, but I am very detail sensitive, and also symbolism is important to me.

If I see my cause will remain as it is, I leave it though. I would rather be sculpting clay then kicking a brick wall hoping one day it will move. I think I have a good sense of knowing when to quit.

I don't dabble. I have a few select interests and I pursue them with full commitment.

I have a really strong need for everything that I do to be integrated into my entire lifestyle. A need for the things I do, no matter how small, to fit into my belief system and everything that makes me, me.

That sounds really inflated but the short answer is that I want everything I do to be meaningful and for it to count towards my ideals and goals.

Yes, same. Dive in and soak it all up. Then do that for LONG time until suddenly you find yourself in another pool for a LONG time.

I have a wide variety of interests, and I will wander away from them from time to time; but when I am focused on something, it has my full attention. At one point, I practiced playing the violin for four hours a day, every day for three years. Then I didn't play at all for 15 years. That's a pretty extreme example with a story behind it, but the point is the same.
Most my hobbies do tie into a larger whole, though, now that I'm thinking about it.

I also have a tendency to compartmentalize things (which I'm working on because the fragments are frustrating and hard to keep up with), keeping certain parts of my life completely separate from other parts, including circles of friends (sorry to anyone i may have disappeared from). I think it's a habit I learned under some pretty nasty circumstances, though. Sometimes, it's a response to negative feedback, or an attempt to spare certain people from conversations I already know they won't be interested in (or on the flip side of that, to avoid arguments; particularly those about things that have already been discussed repeatedly). In the case of people, it often starts because my friends don't always like each other and usually have very different interests and perspectives. There have also been times when I've avoided entire groups just to avoid one person, but at this point, I'm off topic pretty far.

My point was that I tend to be completely absorbed in my interests, but after a certain amount of time, something else will take the foreground. I'm still interested in the same things, but the intensity lessens over time (though it often returns again later). If I find a new television show that I like, for example, I will watch every single episode, but when I've seen them all, I've seen them all. I still like it, but I'm not a huge fan of excessive repetition (I don't lose interest in people I know, though, I tend to be pretty stable in that regard).

Then again, I'm really not that great at recognizing and using past data, so I could be way off base...

Last edited:
Me too. I really get into what I am interested in. I also suffer from burn out. And right now I am burned out...

Yup most people don't' get this kind of passion. I get comments of your weird or what not.lol