Do you have a dark sense of humor? | INFJ Forum

Do you have a dark sense of humor?

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
spin off of the infj sadism thread~ i'm curious, does your sense of humor veer towards the dark side? think inglorious bastards kind of humor, think of jokes making light of serious topics, like death, or poverty, or illness. does that kind of humor appeal to you?

Last edited:
Absolutely. I can also have a very dry or sarcastic sense of humour. Growing up my mom would always tell me how morbid I was.

Absolutely. I can also have a very dry or sarcastic sense of humour. Growing up my mom would always tell me how morbid I was.

Yeah you're a real monkey fucker.

Isnt that what humor really is? making light of otherwise serious situations?

I've had to reign it in with my kids.

2vhu97m.png

I think that any darkness I once had has been replaced with light and joy from the changes occurring in these forums. I am so pleased and satisfied. It fills me with a painful happiness.

I hope you find what you are looking elsewhere! Be the change! Thank you!

I don't particularly like dark humor because I feel it deadens the seriousness of a serious situation.

However, if we're just bringing up some random topic that is formally serious, it's much better to make fun of it than put on an air of feigned concern.

I don't particularly like dark humor because I feel it deadens the seriousness of a serious situation.

However, if we're just bringing up some random topic that is formally serious, it's much better to make fun of it than put on an air of feigned concern.

Hmm. I tend to use dark humor for that very reason, it takes away the seriousness of the situation. I'm kind of the leader in a panic situation so I tend to use dark humor to cheer people up while I assess the seriousness of a situation.

As an oppressed INTP, being desensitized seems to be a natural necessity, but it's only a phase. My humour can be dark when I know people can handle it.

Well I've become chameleon-like. My NT side loves dark humor up the fucking wazzoo. My NF side is very sensitive and finds dark humor offensive. When I think about bad things happening to someone for real in an empathic way, it's just not funny at all.

For example my bratty little ENFP sister, big baby that she is, uses the term "rape" quite casually. I guess it's a high schooler thing, especially among the boys. At this family dinner she was talking about how her friend got "raped" on her interview. Not actually raped, but did poorly due to challenging questions. She kept using the term "rape" over and over. In retrospect I find that I actually never use this term casually, ever. I have too much compassion for the victims of this, so it's never funny, only offensive.

Suicide is another one. I do joke about this a lot. But I only do it towards people who understand the seriousness of the matter, and when actual suicide is implausible. I suggest to @sandra_b all the time that she should hire someone to shoot her in the face. But if someone is actually suicidal, or upset about someone they know who is suicidal, I won't joke. I have observed some joking about it when it was serious. Some have the insensitivity to tell somebody to just go ahead and do it because they're tired of hearing about the gloom and doom. That just fucking pisses me off.

I think death is a common one to joke about. We all know that we are going to die, but nobody really believes it. We feel we'll live forever. "I would die for that", "oh I would just die". That shit is ok because nobody really wraps their head around the fact that they will actually die.

I actually don't react when I hear of great tragedies. I don't like to carry the emotional burden, so I keep my feelings very flat. I amaze myself even with how unreactive I can be. I do feel it though. Like a muffled scream, you know it's there but you try muffle it. Kinda like when you're wanking it and you don't want the person in the next room to know :D Was that dark humor there?

Last edited:
Isnt that what humor really is? making light of otherwise serious situations?

not always. slapstick humor (eg. slipping on a banana peel) isn't dark humor, but it's still funny. i'd say dark humor is a specific kind of humor oriented towards making fun of things that would otherwise depress or trouble you.

I don't think most people get the fact that my dark humour is actually a play against my caring, friendly side. The joke seems to be my pretending to be an uncaring bastard - few people get the joke.

I definatley have a dark sense of humour. I don't think there is anything wrong with that though.

When it comes to jokes the only boundaries I have is what I think I can get away with depending on who I'm with. A joke is just that, a joke. Some people need to lighten up.

Anyone seen the film Freddie Got Fingered? I laughed my ass off at that but some of my friends are disgusted by it. Philestines

I don't think most people get the fact that my dark humour is actually a play against my caring, friendly side. The joke seems to be my pretending to be an uncaring bastard - few people get the joke.

This is exaclty me. I do thissort of thing all the time. I'll play a character who may be arrogant, malicious, insensitive or whatever. It is supposed to be an ironic display of how ridiculous that point of view is but as you said, some poeple don't get it and think I'm a twat

Suicide is another one. I do joke about this a lot. But I only do it towards people who understand the seriousness of the matter, and when actual suicide is implausible. I suggest to @sandra_b all the time that she should hire someone to shoot her in the face. But if someone is actually suicidal, or upset about someone they know who is suicidal, I won't joke. I have observed some joking about it when it was serious. Some have the insensitivity to tell somebody to just go ahead and do it because they're tired of hearing about the gloom and doom. That just fucking pisses me off.

how would you know though? people might seem like they're okay on the surface, and can tolerate such jokes, but inside it might just give them ideas...

on the other hand, i know of people who regularly joke about death and suicide, and it seems to relieve them of their depressive feelings rather than amplify them. maybe humor is the only real way to deal with such extreme pain

Last edited: