Do you get sick less than others? Is it possibly type related? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do you get sick less than others? Is it possibly type related?

maybe INFJs are like roaches, hard to kill them lol

Reactions: apemon
Perhaps it's related to introversion. I keep to myself a lot, especially at work. Sure I miss out on all the juicy gossip going around but I also miss out on the nasty buggies too.

Passive Darwinism in effect.

I've been a nurse for 15 years. The area I work in allows for a lot fairly extensive health history taking. When I assess people, I am also in the quiet habit of trying to place them using mbti.

Certain types of diseases most definately have personalities that go along with them. I can spot a fibromyalgia, chohn's, cardiac, endometriosis case, and so on, a mile away. I've not been able to really put to words for others, what those personalities are, but, almost always, I can guess the ailment before I'm told what it is. The trouble is, coming up with anything difinitive, so that you can turn it into a science. MBTI after all, is not a science, it's a theory.

I'm intrigued. What is the through line? Anxiety? Type A?

SPs? SJs? Which is which?

Perhaps it's related to introversion. I keep to myself a lot, especially at work. Sure I miss out on all the juicy gossip going around but I also miss out on the nasty buggies too.

Passive Darwinism in effect.

You might be onto something there.

I was thinking more along the lines of the conscious/unconscious connection. Perhaps that link since immunity is a basically unconscious function, if communication is effective, influence that system.
or not.

Anxiety is a struggle with existential reality. It comes with all types, but It probably takes on different styles of resolution, or coping depending on Personality type; that's assuming mbti is scientific. I would imagine that certain defence mechanisms, (resultant trains of anxiety), are more prominent, but not exclusive to certain types. So, for example, some types may more readily rely on intellectualization, as a coping mechanism, which has its pitfalls with regard to physical equilibrium. It can knot itself in a person, physically if over used. All coping mechanisms can become destructive, or impotent if over used. The fruits of coping with anxiety, are what can cause, or accelerate pre-existing potential for disease.
God, that's wordy. Classic example of trying to explain an intuitive leap in few words, quickly.

Last edited:
Anxiety is a struggle with existential reality. It comes with all types, but It probably takes on different styles of resolution, or coping depending on Personality type; that's assuming mbti is scientific. I would imagine that certain defence mechanisms, (resultant trains of anxiety), are more prominent, but not exclusive to certain types. So, for example, some types may more readily rely on intellectualization, as a coping mechanism, which has its pitfalls with regard to physical equilibrium. It can knot itself in a person, physically if over used. All coping mechanisms can become destructive, or impotent if over used. The fruits of coping with anxiety, are what can cause, or accelerate pre-existing potential for disease.
God, that's wordy. Classic example of trying to explain an intuitive leap in few words, quickly.

I just cry.good release.just don't let too many midwest rednecks know.:) {learned not to give a $^*&^}

I thought I got sick less than others but apparently according to my mother and mother in law I'm sick all the time. Which isn't exactly true. I have gotten food poisoning a few times in the last year and a half from my mother in law's cooking(not a burn or slam or anything just the truth) and do to my high stress very demanding job I use the excuse of not feeling well to get alone time from my mother in law. Plus I get horrible migraines. Plus I have vertigo which is manageable. Mostly I'm just tired from working with a 2 yr old 60+ hours a week on top of dealing with my family and my in laws.
Plus all my in laws are extroverts and I'm happy to do nothing. Just this morning my mother in law (who is currently sick with bronchitis {her husband gave it to both of us} with a high fever) asked me "do you wanna get up early Saturday and go get pedicures and go out for the day?" I'm over at my mom's house like "woman I just woke up in a fog of meds and mucus and you wanna talk about doing stuff this weekend? No! I wanna sleep! Didn't your son tell you to give me some space?!" What I said was "sorry no. I'm still very sick and will be at my mother's house till late Saturday or Sunday."

I avoid getting sick by avoiding other people and had a good run where I didn't get the flu for more than a decade until my last job about nearly did me in. For those who's kids are sick All The Time, take them out of public schools and watch it will be like night and day.

Reactions: Cookie
I avoid getting sick by avoiding other people and had a good run where I didn't get the flu for more than a decade until my last job about nearly did me in. For those who's kids are sick All The Time, take them out of public schools and watch it will be like night and day.
And daycares! OMG daycares = sick kids I know I worked in one. No matter how much to clean and disinfect. That one sick kid gets everyone sick. It's a never ending battle.

I was just writing about this on here not too long ago but I can't be bothered to find the post right now. But to answer your question: yes, I get sick way less than others. No, I don't think it's type related at all. It has more to do with factors such as:

• genetic and immune system fitness
  • diet (especially vegetable and water intake)
  • sleep
  • stress levels
  • activity levels
  • whether or not one has a good regimen of antioxidants available when illnesses first take hold

...etc. As a kid, people always commented on how fast I'd heal from cuts and bruises and such. Part of that is coming from a genetic line of healthy people but I also attribute it to being raised in a stable, happy environment and my mom always making nutritious meals.

Right now, I'm doing well in all those categories and then some - so I could probably lick the inside of a dive bar toilet bowl somewhere and be fine. But when if I start losing sleep and stress goes up, I'm way more susceptible to getting ill.
Everything after your first two examples (arguably after the first example) I am not doing a great job in. I'm not aware of my genetics in relation to disease/illness proneness, but they must be amazing. There might be something else to illness than those, maybe something yet uncovered.

MBTI type does not influence immunity and illness, however illness can influence MBTI type.

Reactions: Asa
MBTI type does not influence immunity and illness, however illness can influence MBTI type.
Edit:
Nevermind, read it wrong. I read it as illness can be perceived and experienced differently depending on MBTI. Not word for word, obviously.

Usually I almost never get sick. But lately I haven't felt good at all because of stress.

Reactions: flower