Do you follow your own advice? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do you follow your own advice?

I read in one INFJ profile that we get frustrated when others don't follow our advice...pfft well how can I blame em? I can dish it out but I can't take it!

I try to follow my own advice, but sometimes my emotions get the better of me. It becomes so easy to be wrapped up in worrying and sadness.

I try to follow my advice. I get mad because my advice seems to work so well for others yet not for me. Especially when it comes to like relationship advice... Which is really weird since I've only had 2 GFs.

The thing is I try to give advice depending on their own personality so it works for them. So like no advice works for me. I feel bad for people who try to make me feel better because I view the problems from every angle. I'm a horrible pessimist.

I would generally wait until prompted to offer advice. If I do give advice, it would be something I follow and believe in. If I had not understanding of what they were asking for advice on, I would make that clear, and I would consider what I was giving as suggestions.

I generally won't make a suggestion unless I have a justification for it, which is either based on my own experience or enough research/experience from people who are close to me. I really hate hypocrisy so I try not to take a position unless I really believe in it.

I would generally wait until prompted to offer advice. If I do give advice, it would be something I follow and believe in. If I had not understanding of what they were asking for advice on, I would make that clear, and I would consider what I was giving as suggestions.

I generally won't make a suggestion unless I have a justification for it, which is either based on my own experience or enough research/experience from people who are close to me. I really hate hypocrisy so I try not to take a position unless I really believe in it.

I follow generally the same practice, although sometimes I ask a person questions, without being too leading, so that they come up with their own ideas. That way, I feel bound by the same with myself. I try and ask myself the same questions I would ask someone else, to uncover my own goals and motives.

Usually my advice is pretty awful:

Go for it! Don't be scared!

I use it for almost every situation. I don't know what it is, I just seem to be real good at getting people riled up. I once made a friend pick up a job application at some bar we were at because he wanted to improve his social life. They weren't hiring, but still it was a pretty exciting moment. :mD:

And I actually do follow my own advice even though I tend to ask a million different people for guidance. I just tend to be a little slow with following it...
I get stuck on all the planning and over thinking stuff.

I have a terrible habbit of giving unsolicited advice. I really try to watch it. I just have this inner drive to try to fix every problem that I see. If a friend is having some kind of issue where they are stuck on something, or are just having a problem. My first instinct is to sit down, and talk though what is going on with them, and then give them plans of action to try to resolve it. Other times, people will just start spewing there problems at me, and then say "oops... sorry" and I don't even notice that they did that.

But when other people give me advice (in particular when I don't ask for it, and I rarely ask for it), I will argue or buck it. I prefer to solve things on my own. Again, this is something I am working on.

When I give myself advice though, I usually follow it.

Last edited:
But when other people give me advice (in particular when I don't ask for it, and I rarely ask for it), I will argue or buck it. I prefer to solve things on my own. Again, this is something I am working on.

Yeah, I have that problem with too, not so much with personal problems, but definitely with everything else. For me, it's because I'm so used to relying on myself and showing people how to do things, I kind of get offended when someone offers advice or even help. But I think the older I get, the more tired I am of certain situations, so I'm more open to direction.

Sort of.

Yeah, I have that problem with too, not so much with personal problems, but definitely with everything else. For me, it's because I'm so used to relying on myself and showing people how to do things, I kind of get offended when someone offers advice or even help. But I think the older I get, the more tired I am of certain situations, so I'm more open to direction.

Sort of.

*nod* I understand completly :)

Yeah, I try and offer advice, only when i have expeirenced what someone is going through, other than that i keep quiet. Sometimse though a person keeps on about the problem they are having, so I usually sit with them and try to breakdown the problem.

But i am not a follower in my own advice :(

Last edited:
Sadly, I don't often follow my own advice. I was actually discussing this topic with my friend who is an INFP. She was telling me that she always gives people advice, yet never follows it herself. I think it's easier said than done. Anyone can think clearly when they're not in a situation, so it's easy to give advice. But when you're actually going through something, you're not thinking clearly and it's not easy to follow your own advice even though you know it's right. It's much easier to tell someone what they should do than actually doing it yourself.

I just feel like...to say something is so simple, but to actually take action, that takes a lot of strength.