Do you believe in Astrology? ? | INFJ Forum

Do you believe in Astrology? ?

Ila

Feb 2, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Hello everyone.....I have recently started tsking interest in Vedic Astrology...
To my surprize....the predictions are matching my life story. ...... Is there anyone who also believes in it??? I definitely believe....:)

Reactions: Sandie33
Hello everyone.....I have recently started tsking interest in Vedic Astrology...
To my surprize....the predictions are matching my life story. ...... Is there anyone who also believes in it??? I definitely believe....:)

I believe in Genethlialogy, but only when using the exact moment of birth.

It's art mixed with science. And when done correctly, it can be amazingly accurate.

Yes and no. I do think the month we are born in effects our personality. To the extreme level of detail that astrology offers (day, hour, minute etc), I doubt. But who knows? One of my favorite quotes to dole out to atheists and general skeptics is: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,/Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." But really, the month we are born in does seem to correlate to some significant personality/psychiatric traits:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-decision-tree/201107/science-confirms-astrology

Last edited:
I believe in Genethlialogy, but only when using the exact moment of birth.

It's art mixed with science. And when done correctly, it can be amazingly accurate.

Whats the difference, they seem the same

No. I think Astronomy has killed Astrology in every aspect with the exception of a few trivia columns in magazines.

Just like those old fairy tales, it is yet another stepping stone humans inevitably take as their brains grow and their intellects widen.

Whats the difference, they seem the same

I don't believe in the horoscopes you read in the paper. I don't believe that people who share a sign are all alike.

When you are dealing with natal astrology and you use accurate information (exact day, time, location), you will get detailed insight into who you are. It indicates very real patterns that have been determined by the stars in the universe. Every planet has an affect on who each of us are. Just as the Moon's gravitational pull affects the tides, it also affects our minds. Why do you think some people are so sensitive to the Moon's phases? It pulls on our emotions. Different planets affect different things. And their gravitational pull (and where the planet is positioned in your chart) will determine the intensity of it.

There is more to it then what most people think.

And it's way more accurate than MBTI.

Last edited:
I am openminded. However, also pretty skeptical. My view is similar to what various Vedic saints and Jung himself expressed, namely that things like astrology seem to have an art to them, and cannot be done using formulas about planets. I have no reason to believe that people who made predictions about others did so based solely on the external facts about planets. Perhaps they had a very strong intuition that was somehow inspired by the planets.

I avoid such things and stick to more purely logic-based methods, but I'm more openminded than average to there being grains of truth. And I also think that most people will probably be better off sticking to strict scientific interpretations when it comes to the factual realm. Art can be great to explore the human psyche, but using artistic mindsets to predict real facts about the human destiny would have to take uncommon skill.

I am skeptical about astrology. It sounds like pseudoscience in my view. But I have not dived into it, so I cannot judge really.

What I do know though, in books that discuss past lives (Michael Newton, Dolores Cannon), it is mentioned that souls choose magic numbers when events are going to happen. For example, after X number of days after your birth, you will die of cancer. Date of birth and other events are chosen in a similar manner to convey purpose. These purposes can be interpreted by us. Done right, an astrological interpretation is accurate.

But there are ways that you can be wrong. I can think of three things.

* Bias and critical thinking. Try to find an interpretation that makes sense from the facts. Think of yourselves as a journalist. The better questions you ask and the less bias you have, the better the answer you will find. Learn to ask questions and make your own conclusions.

* Randomness. Say that you are meant to find a soulmate in this life. That soulmate died in a car accident five years ago. Therefore, it is impossible to realize that life goal in this life. When souls choose goals between lives, they are attained at a level of probability. They are not deterministic and an astrological interpretation, if every other fact taken into account is correct, can therefore be wrong.

* Crap astrology. As others have mentioned, papers publish crap astrology. They are there to make money, they have no interest in their readers. Readers are cash cows. :m151:

Yes and no. I do think the month we are born in effects our personality. To the extreme level of detail that astrology offers (day, hour, minute etc), I doubt. But who knows? One of my favorite quotes to dole out to atheists and general skeptics is: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,/Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." But really, the month we are born in does seem to correlate to some significant personality/psychiatric traits:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-decision-tree/201107/science-confirms-astrology

I'm a twin and although we look identical our personalities are not. The only way astrology would work in the case of twins is if it did come down to the minute.

I don't believe in the horoscopes you read in the paper. I don't believe that people who share a sign are all alike.

When you are dealing with natal astrology and you use accurate information (exact day, time, location), you will get detailed insight into who you are. It indicates very real patterns that have been determined by the stars in the universe. Every planet has an affect on who each of us are. Just as the Moon's gravitational pull affects the tides, it also affects our minds. Why do you think some people are so sensitive to the Moon's phases? It pulls on our emotions. Different planets affect different things. And their gravitational pull (and where the planet is positioned in your chart) will determine the intensity of it.

oh yeah I had that done and it was pretty accurate. More so than usual.

I had my chart done. Some things were pretty accurate, to the point of almost feeling that this person knew me from before, you just don't pull those things out of thin air, it was way too specific.
However, other things didn't sounded like me at all. Also it included some predictions based transits that were somewhat right, since last year.

There's something to it i think.

Do you have a link with more info? I'm interested.

Reactions: cvp12gh5
I'm a twin and although we look identical our personalities are not. The only way astrology would work in the case of twins is if it did come down to the minute.

Interesting! I am not saying it's exactly astrology, but there is a real correlation between certain personality disorders, health issues and psychiatric problems which do correlate to the months during which people are born. Obviously not all people all the time, and it's surely much less to do with astrology than various seasonal viruses, bacterial infections, parasites and etc. But perhaps some of this is unconsciously at the root of people's faith in astrology.

This is really interesting and if birth month really does have an impact on health and personality, it makes a lot of sense that it would have something to do with environmental factors during conception and gestation.

Last edited:
Astrology is one of the few human belief systems that I can't open my mind to. I think its practical operation is a tangle of observer-expectancy effect, confirmation bias, subjective validation, and probably a whole range of other cognitive distortions. The worst thing about it is its pretensions to science. It is pseudoscience with no measurable relationship to actual personality phenomena whatsoever. The idea that distant planets influence human brains is pure conjecture.

The thing that really gets me angry about it is being told what it says about me by people who take it seriously. I find almost nothing more offensive than when people make comments about my person on the basis of astrology. I find it so intensely dismissive of my actual thoughts and emotions and everything else about me. It really gets me annoyed. If you choose to use it as a means to understanding who you are, please keep it to yourself.

Astrology is one of the few human belief systems that I can't open my mind to. I think its practical operation is a tangle of observer-expectancy effect, confirmation bias, subjective validation, and probably a whole range of other cognitive distortions. The worst thing about it is its pretensions to science. It is pseudoscience with no measurable relationship to actual personality phenomena whatsoever. The idea that distant planets influence human brains is pure conjecture.

The thing that really gets me angry about it is being told what it says about me by people who take it seriously. I find almost nothing more offensive than when people make comments about my person on the basis of astrology. I find it so intensely dismissive of my actual thoughts and emotions and everything else about me. It really gets me annoyed. If you choose to use it as a means to understanding who you are, please keep it to yourself.

Typical Virgo ;-p

No. I think Astronomy has killed Astrology in every aspect with the exception of a few trivia columns in magazines.

Just like those old fairy tales, it is yet another stepping stone humans inevitably take as their brains grow and their intellects widen.

This.

Except that I think Astrology can have real power/predictive capacity - just not in the manner that it claims. This power comes from psychological influence. If someone tells you that you are seriously ill, you will start to focus on small gripes/pains and imagine that they mean something serious; and this will alter behaviour and can begin to affect one's health.

Similarly, if you are told that you are a particular star sign, you will start to notice certain affirming traits, and perhaps start to cultivate those traits.

However, if you think astrology is a load of hog-wash, I don't think it has any real power/predictive capacity - except in the most generic sense, which relies on probability: If I tell you that you are going to have a very unusual experience this month, there is a great likelihood it will happen anyway; a greater likelihood if you believe me and start watching for unusual experiences; and a greater bias on your part to perceive something as especially unusual, because it would have the feature of "having been predicted."

Reactions: InfernoMink
I think a lot of people turn to astrology because it seems like a source of identity.

Reactions: InfernoMink
However, if you think astrology is a load of hog-wash, I don't think it has any real power/predictive capacity - except in the most generic sense, which relies on probability: If I tell you that you are going to have a very unusual experience this month, there is a great likelihood it will happen anyway; a greater likelihood if you believe me and start watching for unusual experiences; and a greater bias on your part to perceive something as especially unusual, because it would have the feature of "having been predicted."

I experienced this with tarot readings in a way and how feelings of trepidation/expectation get in the way of me getting the full picture.

However, it got me thinking... how can you make any kind of prediction, even if it's based on logical/empirical data, statistics, bussiness research, scientifical and even meteorological (since it's so hit n' miss sometimes) without appearing biased/self-suggested and predisposed in a way, at least a bit? Isn't that a big part of of anticipating the future? If not the whole point?

Last edited: