Do we need rebellion or conflict to grow or mature? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do we need rebellion or conflict to grow or mature?

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by Gaze, Jul 20, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by Gaze
  1. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    The fact that it's true? :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #22 Gaze, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    http://www.massgeneral.org/children/adolescenthealth/articles/aa_independence_and_rebellion.aspx
    It may be different in other cultures.

Of course, in our culture it's rebellion within reason.. like dying your hair green or staying out after curfew... or developing strong oppositional ideals or opinions of one's parents and then wanting to debate about them... I'm not talking like, getting knocked up or addicted to drugs or drunk driving or something self destructive.

There's some difference between self destructing and being rebellious..
    Just because one is rebelling does not mean they are self-destructing.

#23 acd, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  4. Trifoilum

Trifoilum find wisdom, build hope.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Agreed. The point I would like to add is, the way they grow would be different. Someone who 'rebelled' via avoiding curfew most likely would experience different experiences if they chose to run away instead. Or joining a political group. Or engaged into drugs. Or all of them. And we're not even talking about those who rebelled and those who don't...

And rebelling doesn't have to be engaging into crimes or indecent actions; simply deviating from what's 'expected' is also, in a sense, rebelling

But rebelling grows a sense of individualism, a sense of standing by yourself.

Of couuurse, moderation within everything, including moderation.

5. Flavus Aquila

Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    Rebellion and conflict seem to become necessary from time to time. In many groups/societies it seems that personal boundaries are slowly eroded away, until intollerable situations are taken as the norm. When this is realised it becomes necessary to overthrow a corrupt/unhealthy way of relating. This can be done without conflict, but most superiors find letting go of illegitimate rights difficult, making conflict inevitable.

In families, however, it seems necessary for teens to rebel, because a transition from child/adult relations to adult/adult relations is necessary if good life skills are going to be tested/practiced/experimented in a safe environment. Some parents and children are mature and can make this transition without conflict - other parents cannot relinquish a pattern of how they treat their children, making conflict almost inevitable.

acd likes this.
  6. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Steering By The Stars

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    I don

Gaze likes this.
  7. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    While I believe you can grow from being rebellious I can't fathom it being the most efficient way of growing(physically or personally). I can understand the need to rebel if your in a situation that demands it, but most of the time I think it would work better if teens learned to be more submissive.

Green hair and stay after curfew seem more like being obstinate then promoting self growth as generally the parents have good reason to say no to these kind of things.

8. Zero Angel

Zero Angel Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Possibly 4w5
    In the context of growing up, I think that some degree of rebellion is healthy. It teaches us to be independent.

In the context of interpersonal relationships, growth is sometimes accomplished through conflict or disagreement -- and in a sense it may help to increase our sense of personal power (metaphysics: root chakra). However most kinds of conflict (particularly ego driven) very rarely improve a person.

#28 Zero Angel, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    Gaze likes this.