[INFJ] - Do Sensors make sense? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Do Sensors make sense?

I think I understand your problem. First turn on tv, do the people on it seem to be saying crazy confusing things. Ah I though so, next read a newspaper, is it all a random stream of nonsense? If so then you're actually living in a foreign country where you don't understand the language.

It's actually a common problem, you walk onto a plane or ship without realising it and then a few hours later people are speaking gibberish. It's either this or you're an idiot.

Probably the most useless thing said IMO

1) @Rferraris I have a hard time understanding you a lot of the time. It took me a while to get used to your writing and communication style on here. Your cadence, and the things that you feel are acceptable to say seem a little out of the ordinary. I think the way you communicate is unusual even for an INFJ. I have actually noticed that you've improved, but I remember when you first joined, many of your posts were quite the clusterfucks of words and it was pretty incoherent.

2) I don't think @Rferraris 's question is a big deal. Sure, the sensor vs. intuitive thing is a tired topic on MBTI discussion forums and it gets people's buttholes all tightened up at the first whiff of it, but that doesn't mean you guys need to all gang up on the poor guy and be all "wtf is wrong with you" (this kind of Fe group behaviour makes me want to throw up). He seemed to be genuine and without ill intention in his inquiry. It was asking for people to share their personal experiences and is really not that stupid of a question. And besides, everyone has to admit they're at least a little bit MBTI racist sometimes. :wink:

Thank you.

I probably should have phrased the question something like " do you feel misunderstood on occasion, and notice a pattern and wonder if you communicate with people that call themselves sensors poorly. And if you do, what are you thoughts? Is there a way you have found to communicate more effectively? "

But I thought that was a long question and had hopes that most people didn't quite need all that to understand I wasn't to rip a hole in sensors everywhere and that the problem was was with them.

Not really. I'm betting that most the people reading this "get it". They probably just don't like how you're saying what you're saying.

You seem surprised by the reactions you are getting, but given how you worded your post you shouldn't be. Did you really expect anything different?

Looking back, no. I was in an aggressive mood I chose my words poorly. But really. Calling me a racist.
I'm a lot of things but not that.

Sorry, not that you called me a racist. But someone compared what I said to how it could be interpreted as racist.
I understand what they meant. Just thought it was a quick assumption and if they thought about it, that's not want I was saying. But to you point, if I thought about what I was saying, this thread would have existed.

I understand sensors pretty well overall I think, and I do not detect that they are more confused than intuitives in general. I sometimes get along with sensors far better than I get along with certain intuitive types.

I wasn't saying they are confused. In case you thought I said that.
I like the ones I know that are sensors. It's just the conversation doesn't flow well. IMO. It needs a lot of explaining.
It 's like you burn your hand and I say stop doing that. You look at me and ask stop doing what. I respond, burning your hand. To me it seems simple enough, but apparently it's not. I know the way I just expressed that probably comes across like I'm the one that understands and others are challenged by simple things. I don't mean that at all. I'm just struggling to make a point and that was the best analogy I came up with. It might be I'm the one struggling with the obvious. I am just curious if this is an issue with INFJ and S types communicating, or no, no one has ever had this problem as an INFJ with an S type.

Last edited:
Actually didn't know that. I think I'm trying to understand if people that are the way you are explaining them tend to be S types. But to your point if you talk in monologues and the other person three word sentences, then there's likely to be a problem.

Not sure I talk in monologues, but usually more than three word sentences
Maybe it has nothing to do with them being an S type. And so the answer to my question is no, you don't have the problem I am having. I just get frustrated with some people and I'm not getting closer to figuring out how to work with them.

I wouldn't suggest people that talk in three word sentences are simple minded. I'd even go as far as to say they might get it without all the extra noise. But I still feel richer having a longer conversation.

I'm around a lot of people all the time.
No way of knowing who is what type.
But if you tried to type someone else, how would you do it. Probably start be trying to point out a behavior or a characteristic. I was hoping I was honing in on something. But maybe looking for MBTI to help is a stupid idea. And then maybe it's not

Is English your first language?

I wasn't saying they are confused. In case you thought I said that.
I like the ones I know that are sensors. It's just the conversation doesn't flow well. IMO. It needs a lot of explaining.
It 's like you burn your hand and I say stop doing that. You look at me and ask stop doing what. I respond, burning your hand. To me it seems simple enough, but apparently it's not. I know the way I just expressed that probably comes across like I'm the one that understands and others are challenged by simple things. I don't mean that at all. I'm just struggling to make a point and that was the best analogy I came up with. It might be I'm the one struggling with the obvious. I am just curious if this is an issue with INFJ and S types communicating, or no, no one has ever had this problem as an INFJ with an S type.

I have trouble getting my point across whenever I start talking in metaphors or analogies. I learned to incorporate how they view their world into my analogies.

Yes. Sometimes it feels as if I'm speaking another language. But I figure it's because I'm in so deep into my internal wonderland that it makes sense no one else could grasp it. I take responsibility for not being understood.

If I cannot bridge the gap - I give up on it. I assume it's my issue. Probably got my head so far up my a....s....s....that even I cannot see light.

:lol:

Wow. Are you struggling this morning Uber? Pretty much everyone else in this thread speaks English. Why is it you cannot tell he does?

Wow. Are you struggling this morning Uber? Pretty much everyone else in this thread speaks English. Why is it you cannot tell he does?

Actually, I was wondering the same thing so maybe I am struggling this morning too. I have to stop and slow down when reading his posts to understand what it is he is trying to communicate.

Reactions: the

If someone speaks English as their first language, then I would expect them to be able to write more than three words at a time for each sentence. And each sentence would not have its own line. At least that is what I would expect from an intelligent adult.

If English is not his first language, which is what I asked, then I would cut that person some slack. Maybe work on your reading comprehension skills sometime this week.

Probably it has been already said but we are the ones who actually make not much sense in the real world, in our own neat bubbles we surealy do but not for the people out there unless we find someone who thinks alike.
Let's not argue, bitte bitte! :m032: it's getting tense here :(

If someone speaks English as their first language, then I would expect them to be able to write more than three words at a time for each sentence. And each sentence would not have its own line. At least that is what I would expect from an intelligent adult.

If English is not his first language, which is what I asked, then I would cut that person some slack. Maybe work on your reading comprehension skills sometime this week.

But he does write more than three word sentences at a time. Hence my confusion with you this morning.

Noooo. I was talking about the stereotypes about types. Just take a look at all those people (like the thread starter) who tend to think that intuitives are magical smart etc. and that sensors are dumb and boring (hence the houselady). Heck even my mom got offended when I tried to show her an ISFJ description lol.

Thats what I meant. Hope its clear.

No problem. ;)

Sensors do make sense. They just arrive at their understanding of information through the senses rather than intuitive feelings. Both run on a continuum and situations call for the use of both functions. I think there is misconception that Sensors only receive info through this channel alone; but depending on the situation sensors can extend themselves to receive info via feelings channel; thought may not be all the time but they can do so and the same applies for Feelers. You may use you feeling functions 80% of the time but certain situations will call for you to receive via sensing functions.

If it is difficult to understand sensors than it can be said that your own sensing functions are dormant and perhaps not operating at all.

it's called flow of conscience writing, when you just pour out whatever comes into your mind ... freely, spontaneously, sincerely ... without any formalities or punctuation or worrying about what others might think of it ... it's the most honest form of expression

I have trouble getting my point across whenever I start talking in metaphors or analogies. I learned to incorporate how they view their world into my analogies.

Yes. Sometimes it feels as if I'm speaking another language. But I figure it's because I'm in so deep into my internal wonderland that it makes sense no one else could grasp it. I take responsibility for not being understood.

If I cannot bridge the gap - I give up on it. I assume it's my issue. Probably got my head so far up my a....s....s....that even I cannot see light.

:lol:

Maybe that's it then. Give up the analogies and try to talk in one or two sentences. It will feel incomplete to me, and I'll always look for validation or confirmation that you understood what I said. But I guess the idea is just don't pursue it. If they ask again, then give it another shot. But if they don't, then they don't care. I completely accept responsibility for not being understood.
Funny thing it's my job these days to document and gather requirements. Sort of challenging at times. I think this requires me to pursue people endlessly until I have complete certainty everyone understands. I resort to metaphors, analogies when I run out of ideas.

Reactions: Gaze
Maybe that's it then. Give up the analogies and try to talk in one or two sentences. It will feel incomplete to me, and I'll always look for validation or confirmation that you understood what I said. But I guess the idea is just don't pursue it. If they ask again, then give it another shot. But if they don't, then they don't care. I completely accept responsibility for not being understood.
Funny thing it's my job these days to document and gather requirements. Sort of challenging at times. I think this requires me to pursue people endlessly until I have complete certainty everyone understands. I resort to metaphors, analogies when I run out of ideas.

Looking for validation or confirmation of understanding is the best you can do. And yes....it can be challenging. I have found that most often when I have failed at getting across my experience it demonstrates that even I do not understand myself completely - yet...

What are you documenting?

Actually, I was wondering the same thing so maybe I am struggling this morning too. I have to stop and slow down when reading his posts to understand what it is he is trying to communicate.

Not sure if you mean to be funny, or asking seriously. Not that it matters either way. But yes English is my only real language. Bits of others, but not fluent. I will work on my posts. Apparently, my awesome dialogue is nonexistent. I'll try to review my posts before committing them. You know, press the button that confirms the post? I can only hope I just made sense now.

Looking for validation or confirmation of understanding is the best you can do. And yes....it can be challenging. I have found that most often when I have failed at getting across my experience it demonstrates that even I do not understand myself completely - yet...

What are you documenting?

I'm a project manager born as a developer for IT systems. I work at companies like Tiffany, SONY, Fuji, Allied-Signal. There, now you can find me in person.

I own, have owned consulting companies built on the relationships from successful projects over the years.

Last edited:

Maybe one reason you can't understand sensors is your refusal to clarify yourself when those people ask you questions.