[INFJ] - Do Sensors make sense? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Do Sensors make sense?

Rferraris

Community Member
Mar 3, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
They confuse the hell out of me. I think it's because they seem so confused themselves. Do any INFJs have a hard time understanding Sensors? Do they make you want to run and hide and not see them anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norton and Gaze
I understand the ones with Se better than the ones with Si perhaps because Se is also one of INFJs functions.
ISFPs and ESTPs are very fun, I've had many ISFP friends ... ISTPs and ESFPs not so much, especially ESFPs I find to be grating ...

among sensing types I have the worst understanding with ESTJs and ISTJs

my brother is an ISTJ. Dude we can argue for hours without understanding anything of each other.

Reactions: knight in battle
my brother is an ISTJ. Dude we can argue for hours without understanding anything of each other.

That's just it. They talk, but it doesn't sound like anything. There's noise. But no words. Not trying to be an ass. But I'm honest. I just don't get them. How is it people can be so different.

a good bit of them yes.

not really a fan of the broad labeling though

Yes. When I talk to most human beings, they make sense to me.

Reactions: rawr
Try changing "sensor" for "blacks" or "asians". That seems racist right?

Well it's the same thing with sensors. I dunno if you're trolling or not but right now you're just looking extremely ignorant and/or in need of a self-esteem boost. Do you even know what "sensor" means? ._.

And right now you're making no sense so I guess you must be a S type. Oh noes!! D:

Reactions: rawr
Try changing "sensor" for "blacks" or "asians". That seems racist right?

Well it's the same thing with sensors. I dunno if you're trolling or not but right now you're just looking extremely ignorant and/or in need of a self-esteem boost. Do you even know what "sensor" means? ._.

And right now you're making no sense so I guess you must be a S type. Oh noes!! D:

+1

I secretly don't get along with the most ESTJs but I suck it up and try to remember we're all different. They're like aliens to me. I have better time understanding the others, at least a little bit up to the point.

Labeling feels wrong inside, though.

Sensors are perfectly easy to understand. What exactly is the problem?

Personally for me it's hard to understand only the extroverted "thinker"-types (but I don't know about ESTP, honestly). My dad is one, who I love dearly, btw. He always thinks I hide something (filthy) and I think he attacks me for no reason. Our way to approach things is so different! Which, btw, isn't a bad thing sometimes but living under the same roof was very hard. I needed my privacy, he didn't give me any and couldn't understand my reasoning. We've spent years fighting unless we learnt to trust each other. But my mother, INJ... so everything's possible.

and in my experience, generally easier to communicate with than most people who would be labeled as 'intuitives.' Sensors are usually direct, and concrete, which i can appreciate.

Omg nothing's the problem and its not racist. Yes, sensor type are people too. I just notice I don't understand them. They say things I wouldn't say. I'm sure I say stuff they don't understand. Just wondering if people find they communicate with some self proclaimed types better than others. I guess that needed explaining.

I find that I use a lot of analogies.
It occurred to me that doesn't work well with a lot of people. I think people that type as S might have less tolerance for analogies. They aren't straight forward. It requires you to imagine something, but as something else. I think I talk a lot. I've learned to be very direct, but that's not nature. I learned a lot of people have no room for conversation, they don't really like explanations. I notice I get a long better with people that do. And I get a long with people that have a lot to say as well. I am curious if people that type as sensors tend to be the type that don't like long conversations, etc. I was asking to understand if others found we relate differently based on the way we type.

Last edited:
They confuse the hell out of me. I think it's because they seem so confused themselves. Do any INFJs have a hard time understanding Sensors? Do they make you want to run and hide and not see them anymore.

Way to project, jerk.

It occurred to me that doesn't dork well with a lot of people. I think people that type as S might have less tolerance for analogies. They aren't straight forward. It requires to to imagine something, but as something else. I think I talk a lot. I've learned to be very direct, but that's not nature. I learned a lot if people have no room for conversation. Font really like explanations. I notice I get a long better with people that do. And I get a long with people that have a lot to say as well. I am curious if people that type as sensors tend to be the type that don't like long conversations, etc. I was asking to understand if others found we relate differently based on the way we type.

So is the issue that you find them confusing or that they find you confusing and you are then confused "by them" because they require you to communicate in a way that is difficult for you? (if they don't understand your analogies and require you to explain using a different approach)

To be honest, I find this entire topic confusing. I don't know how many sensors I've interacted with, but I don't find them confusing. I do find some of them confused by my speech, but that's another thing altogether. I like to think I'm a mixed kid, somewhat of half-sensor, half-intuitive, cousin to the ambivert. Maybe for that reason I can get along with both relatively decently. But, also, like @rawr pointed out, they tend to be direct and communicate in a manner that lays it out there. That's much easier than trying to figure out the indirect, layered brain of an intuitive, imo.

Fwiw, I think clarity in communication relies to a much greater extent on things like intelligence, cognitive organization, honesty, consistency of expression, understanding others, etc. Do you think you are a clear communicator?

Last edited:
I guess that needed explaining.

Not really. I'm betting that most the people reading this "get it". They probably just don't like how you're saying what you're saying.

You seem surprised by the reactions you are getting, but given how you worded your post you shouldn't be. Did you really expect anything different?

It occurred to me that doesn't dork well with a lot of people. I think people that type as S might have less tolerance for analogies. They aren't straight forward. It requires to to imagine something, but as something else. I think I talk a lot. I've learned to be very direct, but that's not nature. I learned a lot if people have no room for conversation. Font really like explanations. I notice I get a long better with people that do. And I get a long with people that have a lot to say as well. I am curious if people that type as sensors tend to be the type that don't like long conversations, etc. I was asking to understand if others found we relate differently based on the way we type.

The conversation depends on the person and the topic at hand. No I can't just randomly hold a conversation about something I know nothing about. I don't need to exaggerate my ignorance on the topic; however if it is something I find interesting I will engage, listen and learn. I don't typically speak in metaphors, but have been known to do so in order to convey an overall "feeling". My ISTJ husband is not receptive of metaphors, but that doesn't make him "simple minded." It just means he'd rather have the the quick factual version, rather than the monologue. I think it's quite possible he gets lost in the long version ... where the main topic becomes portrayed as several topics. You have to remember that sensors are very detail oriented ... they will see every tree in the forest before they see the forest.

I think the real question before you make assumptions about all sensors is how often are you exposed to them? Are you exposed to many people on a regular basis or are we just talking about a couple of the same people over and over? You can't gain experience on how to communicate with others if you don't allow yourself to experience others. This is really the bottom line and it has nothing to do with MBTI.