Do INFJs stay single longer than other personality types? | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Do INFJs stay single longer than other personality types?

I'm at a point where I'm personally pretty apathetic towards relationships. I want to become the best version of myself that I can be and a relationship is time-consuming. I go out sometimes, I meet women, they're often polite. However, money buys me food, drinks, watches, and movie tickets.

I also want to advance professionally and a relationship would take time from me there as well. I could really get ahead in my career, become a boss or something, accomplish things that my teenage self would be proud of.

Maybe love is going out of style. I mean haven't we seen it all before? Cliche?

Haven't people had enough of silly love songs?

I've never been in a relationship. I've had plenty of opportunities. I know what will work and won't work, so I'm not willing to "try" something that I already can foresee complications with. I'm currently working on what I hope to be my first long term relationship, and the main difference between this and other situations I've been in where a person actively wanted to date me is that so far as I can tell our values, goals, and general disposition flow together.

Being that I'm rare, and quirky and odd, it's difficult for me to find birds of a feather. We're not exactly the same but aligned in the same direction if that makes sense.

I also recently abandoned trying to fit in and have embraced my quirkiness, thereby making it 1000x easier for people who would actually like me to find me.

I suspect most INFJs who struggle with dating have one of two, or both, things going on:

1. Not meeting enough people in general, secluding themselves

2. Not being authentically who they are out of fear- people pleasing etc- so they attract people who don't actually like nor understand them

I've learned that #2 is very important to me. I practically embarrassed myself the other day at work, trying to train 2 people on something. I felt very awkward because there is no handbook to show them step by step. I've had to figure alot of shit out on my own, which I'm very good at. But when I have someone watching, I'm a complete fool...and it showed. Lol But at the end of the day, I knew I wasn't being fake.

I've never been in a relationship. I've had plenty of opportunities. I know what will work and won't work, so I'm not willing to "try" something that I already can foresee complications with. I'm currently working on what I hope to be my first long term relationship, and the main difference between this and other situations I've been in where a person actively wanted to date me is that so far as I can tell our values, goals, and general disposition flow together.

Being that I'm rare, and quirky and odd, it's difficult for me to find birds of a feather. We're not exactly the same but aligned in the same direction if that makes sense.

I also recently abandoned trying to fit in and have embraced my quirkiness, thereby making it 1000x easier for people who would actually like me to find me.

I suspect most INFJs who struggle with dating have one of two, or both, things going on:

1. Not meeting enough people in general, secluding themselves

2. Not being authentically who they are out of fear- people pleasing etc- so they attract people who don't actually like nor understand them

Number three you had also in your first paragraph

3. Not willing to "try" something that I already can foresee complications with

I do a lot of that .. look at the future and foretell. Then comes the complication if you proceed and it does fail, was it because you were trying to manifest that future to be right or was it because you were right?!

https://introvertdear.com/news/infj-single-reasons-why/

The above pretty much says a lot as well :)

Getting back on track, my ex took one month (to me that should be in exclamation marks) to find a new partner. I have been out of that same relationship close on two years.

Last edited:
I think INFJ's sense too much, too easily ( depending on levels of Ni ) and due to our "spidey sense" as I call it, that we just cannot shut off.. we sense every little inflection which causes us to be much more quickly onto someone if and when their intention or story doesn't gel with spidey's sense..

And this is what causes us to become so *picky* and thus, we may appear more "lone" than the rest of the pack.. whilst really - we just won't settle for crumbs when our souls long for the feast.. Because, we too offer this loyalty and depth we desire.. and expect nothing less than - in return.
It's called Peter Tingles now.
Also, I really believe the misunderstoodness we suffer from is one of the biggest reasons we're so depressive, alongside what you're said.

Reactions: Misty

Peter Parker?
Have you not seen the latest Spiderman? If not, I dno't wanna spoil this, even though it's not really much of a spoiler, but they haven't invented the term "Spidey Sense" yet in the current movies, so his Aunt May calls it Peter Tingles and of course it bothers Peter.

Have you not seen the latest Spiderman? If not, I dno't wanna spoil this, even though it's not really much of a spoiler, but they haven't invented the term "Spidey Sense" yet in the current movies, so his Aunt May calls it Peter Tingles and of course it bothers Peter.
Lol, Peter Tingles. Haven't seen it yet, but can't wait to, honestly.

Reactions: Truth Eternity
I am an INFJ. I have been dating for the past 2-3 years after leaving an abusive relationship. It took me a long time to find myself again but even now, still single. lol I find that I get bored of most people and don't fully open up my heart to them. Or they just don't share what I crave. I have been on probably 20-30 dates and dated a man for 4 months and another for one month during this time-frame. But I have also attracted a lot of men that only want the physical aspect and who didn't really want to know me. I've fallen for thinking sex means they care or will care for me but I also have my own inner demon. ;p

I am done chasing for love now and I will always be open to possibilities. But I do enjoy being on my own at times, plus I love attention that being single gives more opportunities for. I also crave to be independent and do not like sharing things, so could never see myself as married or investing in a house with someone. I just prefer a different road. Plus my own unique tastes in a relationship may scare away many vanilla men or intimidate the insecure. I am sure it may also give them the impression that I am a doll to play with, hence the meaningless sex. Oh well, I am sure my time will come but I will try my best to enjoy being single, without getting myself in too much trouble.

I recently turned 31, and I'm single. Other than a somewhat toxic long-distance relationship I just got out of, in the past few years, I've really barely dated at all after ending a 6-year relationship back in 2013. I don't have a huge problem with that, as I would rather remain single than force anything.

However, I've been facing more and more pressure lately (as I assume happens more once you get into your 30s). It feels like almost every single person I know is getting engaged or married, or at least is in a serious relationship. I can count on one hand the number of people in my life around my age that are also single. I constantly get asked by friends and family if I'm dating, and when I say no I usually get met with pity.

It makes me feel like an alien. I've never been much of a dater. I'd hear people talking about how they dated like 5 different people over the course of a year, and that just sounds overwhelming to me. I'm perfectly happy spending time alone, and for me to want to date someone, I have to REALLY like them, enough that I would give up my alone time to spend time with them (which I'm sure many INFJs can relate to). The problem is it's really rare for me to meet people like this, people that actually spark my interest.

So rather than forcing things with someone I don't feel strongly about, I remain single.....but I'm starting to feel really alone in that sentiment, and there aren't many people in my life currently that I can talk to about it or relate to. I guess I just wanted to know, is it common for INFJs to stay single longer than most other personality types? I'd love to hear thoughts from other single INFJs (or INFJs that went through really long stretches of being single). And any advice is appreciated!
I feel you mate. Really truly deeply.

Reactions: 5ufvdee369jcdd
Being single is not a disease to be gotten rid of. So what if others pair up? Good for them. Are you happy being single? Do you realize your life is better without a partner who abuses you or one who generally drives you crazy?

Lots of people will judge you negatively for not pairing up, and you can't stop that. If you are an INFJ, you have to get used to it. It's the price of living among people who say they are your friends and mean well, but will push their own muddled agenda. agenda. Or people who judge others in order to feel better about themselves.

Deep down INFJs hope for a partner or friend with whom they can share their unbridled selves. Because we notice so much, we have to decide what red flags are ones that cannot be ignored. It also takes time to smoke out the narcissists and other manipulators. I am the last person to give dating advice as it is a big turn-off to me. Such a situation is not the same for women so people are even more judgey.

I look at it this way. No one else is living my life. I stand by my decisions. Negative comments from others are meaningless because they don't see the whole situation, all the pros and cons. No one situation is ever perfect. And if it ain't broke, don't expect it to be fixed.

Perhaps all infj smell a bit weird.

Being single is not a disease to be gotten rid of. So what if others pair up? Good for them. Are you happy being single? Do you realize your life is better without a partner who abuses you or one who generally drives you crazy?

Lots of people will judge you negatively for not pairing up, and you can't stop that. If you are an INFJ, you have to get used to it. It's the price of living among people who say they are your friends and mean well, but will push their own muddled agenda. agenda. Or people who judge others in order to feel better about themselves.

Deep down INFJs hope for a partner or friend with whom they can share their unbridled selves. Because we notice so much, we have to decide what red flags are ones that cannot be ignored. It also takes time to smoke out the narcissists and other manipulators. I am the last person to give dating advice as it is a big turn-off to me. Such a situation is not the same for women so people are even more judgey.

I look at it this way. No one else is living my life. I stand by my decisions. Negative comments from others are meaningless because they don't see the whole situation, all the pros and cons. No one situation is ever perfect. And if it ain't broke, don't expect it to be fixed.

Love this comment .. well said :)

Reactions: java
Nope, unless you spent time mostly with unhealthy INFJs—which sounds like the case in your situation and what you mentioned in your previous posts. Unfortunately I can attest that unhealthy INFJs are the worst in relationships.

Typically healthy INFJs value healthy doses of independence in relationships and although we love spending time with our partners, we need our alone time too.

And also with the perfectionist aspect, while we INFJs do realize that our perspectives regarding relationships are idealistic and it’s a bit of our downfall, we don’t take relationships for granted if we are serious about a person. Once we are really set and care about a person, we truly mean it and we are in it for the long haul. It’s a double edged sword tbh.

Another INFJ here, and I agree. Those were either very unhealthy INFJs or they were mistyped (quite possibly the latter. I agree that for being the minority of the population, I have met a lot of people who test as INFJ merely because self-reporting tests are highly inaccurate and entirely dependent on someone being honest with themselves and self-aware).

I've been in two relationships, one that lasted over 20 years and another that lasted 10 years, and right now is the longest time I've been single in my adult life (6 months). Speaking for myself, it does take me a while to actually decide I want to make a commitment to someone, but once I do, I'm in it for the long haul and I will do everything I can to protect and maintain the relationship, often to my detriment.

My son (18) tests as an INTP. I know his frankness and "forthrightness" rubs me the wrong way quite often, and his thoughts and opinions on things leave me shaking my head with how seemingly cold he can be. On the other hand, I can have some very interesting conversations with him that challenge my perspectives and cause me to reevaluate my opinions. I'm not sure how well I would get along with an INTP in a romantic context. It would probably be a difficult relationship.

I haven't spoken to my ex from my 10 year-relationship since we broke up 6 months ago. I suppose that could be called a doorslam. I blocked him and removed all avenues of communication with him, not because I hold a grudge or bear him ill will but for self-preservation. This was the last of many such break-ups in that relationship, and I don't want to leave open the possibility of me being sucked back into that toxicity yet another time, i.e., I don't want him to have another opportunity to cause me a another moment of pain.

I believe that is the purpose behind the infamous INFJ door slam--self-preservation. I know I have a lot of conversations in my head and a lot of decisions that are made there that result in an action or behavior that surprises those who are not privy to those thoughts. As a result, something like the doorslam could come across as vengeful, spiteful or holding a grudge, but that is only because at that point the reasons for my actions I feel should be self-evident, and I sometimes forget which conversations I've had outside of my head versus the ones I've had inside.

Yes, INFJs are sensitive, and appear especially sensitive to the "Thinking" types (by the way, both long-term relationships I had were with NTs). We may not appear to Thinking types as assertive, but I believe that is more because of our communication style. Thinkers tend to be direct and feelers tend to be indirect. I know which hills in which battles I want to die on, and those are usually related to some core value I hold. Everything else is negotiable and just not that important. There have been many times when I have been blunt and direct on what I will put up with and what I won't. I'm just not good at protecting those boundaries, which is when things become problematic.

I believe INFJs do need to be more psychologically flexible in relationships and remember that others can't hear the thoughts inside your head and are not as attuned to moods and body language as we are. Quite often, things do need to be "spelled out," and once that has been done, keeping the communication open to ensure that they know this isn't one of your negotiables.

I hate confrontations, but when I choose to stand my ground, in my mind, it's significant and shouldn't need to be done again. If the boundary continues to be violated, I don't typically reiterate what I thought I made clear. I just reach the point where that's it. I think for others that moment of confrontation was just one of many conversations to be had, and when there aren't any follow-ups, the moment of "that's it" for me comes as a surprise to them.

I will say I agree with the assessment that, of all the personality types, INFJs are the most relationship oriented and the ones that will work the hardest to make it the best relationship you've ever been in.

Obviously, I don't fall into the INFJ category of being single longer than other types, but I am one that is slow to love (fast to lust). I quite enjoy being single and having my alone time and I'm not in any hurry to change my circumstances.

I can't speak for other INFJs even as being INFJ, but I can't settle just with anyone. We desire to connect very deeply with other people and we need intimate emotional and mental (also spiritual) connection with someone special. I don't date casually and I find today's dating world very uncomfortable and something just doesn't feel right with it (Tinder etc.) As an very independent and introverted person it's lovely to be single and spend quite some time alone. I've been single for 5 years now and I'm ok with it, especially when being childfree and not wanting to become a parent, ever. So it's not like I've to run against time because of biological reasons. Yes, there are strong feelings of loneliness sometimes and wishing I could share my life with someone special but there's no rush and it will be happen when the time is right.

Love is a Die roll, as I've said before.

Sometimes 6, often a 1.

There is no logic or plan behind it, all random events and people we meet.

Very little to do with personality, though a strong personality can increase you chances, its still a roll of a dice.

It happens when certain people happen to occupy similiar spaces in time and a connection can be formed.