Do childish 14 year olds usually catch up to the rest? | INFJ Forum

Do childish 14 year olds usually catch up to the rest?

easy_rider

Community Member
Jun 3, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
The ones that play hand-guns and other sorts of 8-year-old level games, and don't interact maturely very often, maybe you know someone like that or you were like that, anyway does it change or do they just grow into childish adults?

People change massively at the 15-16 year old range. I went through massive personality transformations from the age of 15, I'm a completely different person to who I was from that age. When I left secondary school a lot of my friends changed too. We grew apart because we were different people. It's funny when you see the younger kids that you used to know all grown up. They may of been weird or socially maladjusted but they grow up into mature young men. So to suggest that a 14 year will always be immature is slightly ridiculous, that person will have a lot to go through and has plenty of time to mature.

I surpassed my contemporaries, and I still play with toy guns. Of course, I stopped playing with them at 16, and started playing with them again at 23.

My son has always been immature. He never played with guns, but he is socially and emotionally immature. He is now 19 and I would say he is about at the level of a 15 year old. If he always stays 4 years behind it won't make much of a difference by the time he is 25. But if he remains 25% behind it will be a problem until he is about 40, by which time I'll be too old to care.

They grow up to be perfectly normal adults. I was kind of a late bloomer myself and I turned out just fine.. I guess :madgrin:

No seriously. At a certain age you always catch up with your peers. Some people just experience different stages in their lives a little later (or earlier) than others, which is perfectly normal. It doesn't influence who you become when you grow up.

Now I come to think of it, at the age of 16-17 I was actually far more mature than the people my age.. So I guess you can't predict these kind of things. I think you need to feel free to behave the way you want in that aspect, whatever your age may be.

To add, I would say I'm probably three years behind everyone my age. I just haven't done the socially acceptable things which I'm supposed to by now. This used to make me so depressed and my family would make remarks about how I'm not normal. I'm sure they all love to chat about me behind my back (4 sisters, yikes!).

Similarly with Nela, I would say I am probably more mature then people my age, on average, in terms of my outlook on life and my ability to understand and deal with my emotions. I have a stronger sense of responsibility and morality then most, I suspect. I have developed stronger attributes in alternative areas. Areas that don't concur what what my society considers normal teen developement.

Some do and some dont.

I was still playing with lego until around 15-16 and soft toys till around 14 lol, but we all level out eventually. Certain things linger or at least re-manifest themselves though like my obsession with toy guns and cowboy outfits seem to have turned into a fascination with military uniforms and shows of firepower - but particularly the uniforms. I think that'll stay with me for ever.

Look at the adult population, and you shall find your answer.

The ones that play hand-guns and other sorts of 8-year-old level games, and don't interact maturely very often, maybe you know someone like that or you were like that, anyway does it change or do they just grow into childish adults?
I'm 27 and I still play "childish" games with the younger members of my family.

Just because you're getting old doesn't mean you can't have a bit of fun. There's no reason the kid has to get "serious" as they grow up.

You'll have to elaborate on "not interacting maturely" for me to answer that bit though.

Hopefully not!

You mean people who tries to have fun and act their age and not trying to be something which they are not?

Yeah, they usually grow up.

Childish games don't make immature adults. Being sheltered and expecting the world to give them what they want makes immature adults.

Someone who is Childlike will have their innosence and trustfulness intact. It means that they have a sense of wonder and curiosity, leaving room for spontaniety, allowing moments of play and silliness, and keeping your mind and heart open for new ideas and new experiences and letting your imagination have free reign :)

Childish on the other hand suggests, unwillingness, stubborness, uninhibitions, emotional restraint and inability to take on responsibility.