Do animals have souls? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do animals have souls?

I have different ideas about souls. I think a soul is immortal and a choice. If you don't believe you have one, you probably don't. That's not a knock either.

I don't think a thought can generate a soul. However, a thought can manifest self-validating logic which would crumble outside its domain. And people rarely tread outside their comfortable zone of thinking.

No.

I don't think a thought can generate a soul. However, a thought can manifest self-validating logic which would crumble outside its domain. And people rarely tread outside their comfortable zone of thinking.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I don't think thought can generate a soul either, but I do think thought can generate an action. I think a person has to actively choose immortality, and I don't know for sure if pets can do that. I just think they can. Obviously, I can't explain this without sounding nutty. I can tread outside my comfort zone...I think I just did.

Oh, now I don't doubt what I claimed about pets. Everything an animal does is related to preservation, so I'm sure they would choose immortality.

Last edited:
Yes.

Reactions: slant
I don't believe in soul, but if humans had souls animals would too.
There's no reason why they wouldn't.

Reactions: slant
I'm not disagreeing with you.

I wasn't disagreeing with you either :)

I don't think thought can generate a soul either, but I do think thought can generate an action.
I was trying to drive this point as well, but could figure out exactly how to fit it in without being misunderstood.

I think a person has to actively choose immortality
I don't agree with this. The though has crossed my mind in the past, but I rejected it.

I don't know for sure if pets can do that
Well, you don't know for sure if humans can do that either lol

I just think they can. Obviously, I can't explain this without sounding nutty. I can tread outside my comfort zone...I think I just did.
You've done it in more than one occasion ( I'm watching :eek: )

I wasn't disagreeing with you either :)

I know that you know that it was important for me to tell you I wasn't disagreeing with you.

I don't agree with this. The though has crossed my mind in the past, but I rejected it.
What made you reject it?

I don't view immortality as a gift you shove in your closet to re-gift at the office x-mas party. I think most people want it, but I'm not willing to admit everyone does. I don't think you earn it because the nature of justice is something too foreign to me. Mercy can prevail even when it doesn't win. It's like if you win the lottery, you still have to pick up the money. You can be a lottery winner and not claim your ticket. You can not have a soul on Earth because that soul is somewhere else.

Well, you don't know for sure if humans can do that either lol
Would you like to die or would you like to live forever? If you say yes or no, that's your choice. I think all animals can do that. You can also claim your choice is permanent, but is it?

You've done it in more than one occasion ( I'm watching :eek: )
Hee.

Mostly the differences people consider the soul is related to religion (ie, soul as "divine") or the soul as intellect. I don't believe in the "divine" soul, I'll put that out there. Many animals have intellect (dolphins are smart) and many do not (insects and less intelligent animals are driven by instinct). So, it really depends how you view the soul. That being said, i would argue there is SOMETHING we share with animals (at the very least a far distant evolutionary ancestor) and that's good enough for me!

Everyone read this.

There is a thing I believe can be described as a soul made up of the system that has been made as a life form, but I also believe the extent it goes to make it too. So for animals I would say, depends on which one/ones.

I have no idea. Good question, though.

Actually, now that I think of it, I don't think they have souls in a spiritual sense because I don't believe that they'll be in the afterlife.

Hmm..interesting. Although, it could be open to interpretation, depending on what "new heavens" and "new Earth" means in the Revelation.

But that's another topic.

As to souls, yes. I believe animals have souls. I think they also have limited concepts of "right" and "wrong" as well. They know when they've been naughty! :m145:
It is more or less entirely contrived or conditioned. Principles of morality and "right" and "wrong" are entirely subjective, even in animals. Predisposition may matter, but anything other than that is contrived. (new thought process happening now...)

As to the original question... it depends on what you mean by "soul." I am entirely agnostic towards all supernatural entities, including souls, spirits, and ghosts. I have not seen any evidence of them, but don't have any reason to not believe in them. If by soul you mean personality or something like that, I think they probably do exist in all animals, but I am not certain. It is necessary to know where personality comes from to the answer to that questions.

magister: an interesting perspective, but no that definition is not always an accurate representation of reality. People create words and define them according to their own understanding and limited scope of view. The definition of a particular word means nothing except to the one defined it, or anyone who accepts his definition. It is all contrived, and all a matter of interpretation and perspective.

Sorry I missed this thread before now.

Yes, animals have souls. I am 110% certain on this. Do all animals have souls; on that, I am not certain. I simply know that all animals that have our love directed towards them definitely have souls.

This would mean that a caribou might not, but your dog Scotty that died when you were 13 does, and you'll see that dog in your afterlife should you move on.

Currently, my dead cat, Billy, is in heaven and being taken care of by a boy who is gone but his cat is still alive. I can't forget my old dog Stray either, I'm not sure who's taking care of her. Let's see... Roxie and Tomcat are probably up there too. I'm sure if I ever go up there, I'll meet some of my old pets that I forgot about.

Oh and as to why animals have souls when the bible really doesn't discuss this. I think it was a gift from God to us because heaven wouldn't be heaven for some people without their animals there. For some people, animals are their children while they're alive. I think it's that powerful love that was the deciding factor.

Animals don't have souls, in my opinion.

Personalities =/= Souls (as that is the basis most people take on this.)

And no, you're right, I can't disprove it.

edit: oops I already posted on this topic. LOL. oh well.

Last edited:
Um, you're saying animals don't have personalities?

I think you're giving the human intelligence to much credit. Below our intelligence, in our subconscious lies much of our decision making. We are essentially an animal with an extra-level of awareness placed upon it. The soul is more primordial than that awareness; it's connected to the feeling of heart which can exist without intelligence.

If you believe in God, then does not he determine what is given a soul? If you don't believe in him or you think of him differently, then I can appreciate believing animals do not have souls. Yet you would be wrong to think such. :) If you're saying it comes from personality alone, then you're saying we create our soul and it's not given to us. You're saying you do not believe in previous lives. You're saying that intelligence grants us a soul and therefore those stricken with tragic conditions are soulless. They are not, a soul is given to us by God; and even if you live your entire life in a drooling stupor, you have a soul.

No, I'm saying having a personality doesn't mean you have a soul.

And no, I'm not overestimating anything, I have thought over this topic for a very long time.