Divorce and Remarriage

DevilDoll

Beware! I Bite...
Dec 6, 2009
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
My parents got divorced a year ago today. The divorce was in no way amicable and I honestly welcomed the split. I won't lie though, the entire situation put me through the emotional ringer and I had to leave town for several weeks to deal with having to testify and being forced to choose between the two of them. But, once I was past that I much preferred them separate. My father became a much better person to be around and far more helpful. My mother didn't change much, she and I have spent most of the past year estranged. We have just recently been attempting to mend whatever relationship we had before the divorce (which wasn't much). Today she hits me with an interesting tidbit of news. She's getting remarried. I honestly didn't think I'd have much of an issue with this if it happened. I was surprised to find out otherwise. I don't know if it is because I don't much care for her fianc

I've been through it, and to be honest it's difficult no matter what age you are when you go through it. In some ways it may be tougher when you're older because you know exactly what's going on and you don't like this stranger in your space.

You don't have to like him, though, but if you can try to respect him. Or at the very least respect your mom by respecting him.

Our story didn't end happily, however (my stepfather was a horrid man), but not every step parent is the "evil ogre" either.

Maybe one way to help you through this change is to go out for an afternoon with her finance and have a coffee with him. Get to know him. Understand his intentions towards your mother as quaint as it sounds. But the transition can really help if you get the opportunity to know him.

Your experiences go further than my own. My parents, back then, eventually came back together. But... this is just a thought.

You welcomed the split you say, which I imagine must mean emotional stress caused by them being together. Was the desire for them to seperate the only one? Perhabs you were exposed to high intensity destructive energies, if you pardon the vague term. Stuff like arguments that spiraled out of control, and you saw that, and you knew you didn't want to be exposed to that. Why couldn't it be like you saw elsewhere. On TV. In books. Why couldn't this family approach that healthy normalcy. Wanting to turn this into that, somehow. That was a desire I had, somewhere. Not accepting things as they were was one of the sources for my own stress connected to their failing marriage.

Now, my thought is, maybe that part didn't go away. Maybe, somewhere deep inside and out of reach, you had hoped that things would still work out the way you imagined they would when you were younger. And now that hope is gone. Her finding someone else and remarrying makes a return and fixing what was wrong impossible. That imaginary ideal will never be achieved.

As I said, it's just a thought.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I've been through it, and to be honest it's difficult no matter what age you are when you go through it. In some ways it may be tougher when you're older because you know exactly what's going on and you don't like this stranger in your space.

You don't have to like him, though, but if you can try to respect him. Or at the very least respect your mom by respecting him.

Our story didn't end happily, however (my stepfather was a horrid man), but not every step parent is the "evil ogre" either.

Maybe one way to help you through this change is to go out for an afternoon with her finance and have a coffee with him. Get to know him. Understand his intentions towards your mother as quaint as it sounds. But the transition can really help if you get the opportunity to know him.

I have a really hard time respecting people who tell me on a fairly regular basis that I am a liar and bring up things that trigger painful memories just to rile me up. I've tried to get to know him, but every time I am around either of them they happen to bring up my first boyfriend who was incredibly abusive. They have both expressed that I am fibbing about the majority of things and the rest is something I should just get over. I have a hard time respecting someone who treats me that way. Which is why I have a hard enough time dealing with my mother, but at least I am blood related to her. He's not. So, I shouldn't have to put up with it.

Your experiences go further than my own. My parents, back then, eventually came back together. But... this is just a thought.

You welcomed the split you say, which I imagine must mean emotional stress caused by them being together. Was the desire for them to seperate the only one? Perhabs you were exposed to high intensity destructive energies, if you pardon the vague term. Stuff like arguments that spiraled out of control, and you saw that, and you knew you didn't want to be exposed to that. Why couldn't it be like you saw elsewhere. On TV. In books. Why couldn't this family approach that healthy normalcy. Wanting to turn this into that, somehow. That was a desire I had, somewhere. Not accepting things as they were was one of the sources for my own stress connected to their failing marriage.

Now, my thought is, maybe that part didn't go away. Maybe, somewhere deep inside and out of reach, you had hoped that things would still work out the way you imagined they would when you were younger. And now that hope is gone. Her finding someone else and remarrying makes a return and fixing what was wrong impossible. That imaginary ideal will never be achieved.

As I said, it's just a thought.

Oh it was more than just arguments. Violence, drug abuse, neglect... I have absolutely no desire for them to get back together. Sure, I wished for a normal family...one like my friend's. But, I certainly wasn't deluded enough to think it would happen between the two of them.

I think I am most ticked about the idea of her bringing step children around my grandparents, who are more like parents to me than she is. It's a territory thing?

I have a really hard time respecting people who tell me on a fairly regular basis that I am a liar and bring up things that trigger painful memories just to rile me up. I've tried to get to know him, but every time I am around either of them they happen to bring up my first boyfriend who was incredibly abusive. They have both expressed that I am fibbing about the majority of things and the rest is something I should just get over. I have a hard time respecting someone who treats me that way. Which is why I have a hard enough time dealing with my mother, but at least I am blood related to her. He's not. So, I shouldn't have to put up with it.

That's a different story altogether.

No, I wouldn't say it's a good idea to get to know him if he's emotionally abusive; my mother's second husband was an emotional abuser (but much worse - long story). But regardless he's going to be part of your family for a certain amount of time and you'll have to find some way of simply tolerating him, as long as he's not doing anything illegal.

"How" is the question, though. Bringing up your ex-bf might be a sore topic, so maybe you can agree with him to disagree on that one. Does he bring it up when he's with your mother, or does it bring it up when the two of you are alone?

Another reason that it may bother you, if you don't mind me saying, is that it messes with your sense of who your parents are. Though they may not be together, you probably subconsciously see them as one unit, your parents, and bringing another person into the equation messes with your sense of what is familiar.

My boyfriend has a little boy, and he sometimes slips up and calls me mommy. I have to correct him, because it's important for him to understand that his mom is still his mom, and his dad is still his dad, even if they are both with other people now.

Or you could be trying to avoid having to suffer through another potential nasty parental divorce, again, subconsciously.

I could be wrong, though.

I married into a rather interesting family.

On my husbands Fathers side:

His mom and dad divorced when he was 11. They had Two kids.

OK dad first.
Dad married again to a woman with two kids (girls)

Divorced again about five years ago, and married again with three more kids.

OK so Mom from second marriage is still in our lives, shes grandmother to my kids, and mom to my husband FOr all intents and purposes she will always be family. She is remarried and has like more kids from her new husband all of those kids are less than iviting with the new family.

Thrid marriage mom is excellent too, but her kids are not so friendly. They havnt adjusted very well to all of this.

OK now on to mom:

Moms second marriage yeilded two more kids (boys)
and a divorce very shortly after

SHe then married the second husbands best friend. They were married for ten years or better...They recently divorced and mom is still single.

My husband his sister, the two step sisters, and the two step brothers are all very close. We have all kindof adopted these knew families with ease. But when they were kids it was not easy.

My husband was almost committed because of his issues with it. its bad. It gets easier though. I promise.

I hear the issue being not about Mom but the idea of other children. My older sister and I have the same mother and biological father. My mother remarried and had 3 more children with our father. When we were little, our father adopted my older sister and I and we share his last name. I have had no contact with my biological father. I understand that he may have a son by another woman but no way to confirm this. We make no distinction between "steps" in our family--most Native's won't--family is family. I woud never turn my back on anybody that was related to me--I am very strong on family. IMO it sounds very selfish on your part. I sense that you are struggling with this because you don't know where the animosity is coming from. I would take a closer look--do you feel that you won't get any affection? Do you question you mom's ability to have more children (ie bad parent, other issues that you describe). Do you worry about potential siblings being uncared for / going thru what you went thru? Where does the issue lie. That will tell you if it is centered on you or centered on what I call future worry. Future worry is the obsessive need to correct potential problems because we haven't resolved the issues/feelings that we felt by being subjected to the stuff we are worrying will happen to someone else. In either case, the issue resolves inside you, not with mom. Figure out what concerns you and you will find the path that leads to peace.

That's a different story altogether.

No, I wouldn't say it's a good idea to get to know him if he's emotionally abusive; my mother's second husband was an emotional abuser (but much worse - long story). But regardless he's going to be part of your family for a certain amount of time and you'll have to find some way of simply tolerating him, as long as he's not doing anything illegal.

"How" is the question, though. Bringing up your ex-bf might be a sore topic, so maybe you can agree with him to disagree on that one. Does he bring it up when he's with your mother, or does it bring it up when the two of you are alone?

Both. And I have very politely asked him not to, because saying it's a sore topic is an understatement. The boy slept with 23 different women behind my back. He was verbally, emotionally, and physically abusive. I won't go in to great detail, but it really hurts to see him get invited to family Holiday's when I don't. It hurts to hear my mother talk about him like a son. It hurts to have her new fianc

It has something to do with your idea of family, you've mentioned that you can't cut your mother out of your life because she is family which would indicate that on some level you wish to create at least a decent relationship with her or at least thats what you're trying to get to whether you can/will or not I'm not so sure because you are extremely scared to be hurt again by someone you care about and you know because of this internal need to get some sort of resolution with your mother she can use that to hurt you deeply (it seems like something of a moth to flame relationship).

Although your parents have split up for the better you still love them both and you have come to terms that them divorcing was good for all of you because of the reduction of conflict. Unfortunately one thing that you hadn't factored in is that they might remarry which although you were perfectly aware that they could or even might you probably thought that it would be at a long time off during which time you could establish a good/better relationship with both of them and feel like you're more part of the family, more included than you currently feel you are. It's possible you may even feel like time is running out in that regard.

I think it's possible that because of the nasty divorce process that you went through you essentially developed quite strong abandonment issues which forced you to over compensate and become very rational to prevent emotional hurt, it also created this desire to belong to a family unit which is why you've developed a sort of surrogate family of friends and why you are extremely loyal to them. Unfortunately I think the severely abusive ex boyfriend not only strengthened these issues but expanded them to encompass any deep relationship that you could make which brought along trust issues to accompany the abandonment ones which could give partial explanation to your sexual preferences, S & M practices involve a lot of trust between the two people and can actually help with trust and abandonment issues because of the dominant and submissive nature and the high level of trust that is required between them.

I believe that the reasons you're struggling to come to terms with your mother marrying again is because you think because you don't get on with your possible step father, if this happens, you will be cut out of the family all together, that you'll never be able to establish the kind of relationship with your mother that you are trying to and you will never feel like you are loved and needed as part of the family.

I hope this post is okay, I would like to point out that I don't concretely stereotype you as a person and I'm aware that if I list off things in this kind of manner I can appear quite harsh when it isn't the case. I've went through what could probably be called a watered down version of a divorce in comparison to what you went through but it carried over a good number of years, since then both of my parents have remarried and had children and although I'm still on good terms with my mother, my father and I don't really communicate for several reasons, however over time I've tried to re-establish some sort of relationship with my dad which has been.....semi-successful by an occasional meal at a restaurant instead of a place where he has the upper hand (communicating with my dad is like a game of chess) and after playing through the general formalities of "how are you?" and so forth to keep the focus on the other patrons.

@Sonyab; It does sound selfish but that's due to the nature of the issue and DevilDoll's past. I'll give you an example in regards to my situation: after a period of time both my parents started dating again, some of them I liked and others not so much, I found their presence imposing, like they were trying to take away my connection to each of my parents and that I would end up being something similar to a lamp but I could also see that some of them made my parents happy so I didn't know how to deal with it. When you are young and go through something like this it can be something like a shock or you feel like you've been cast away or replaced, at a young age you do have a very self orientated mentality and things like a nasty divorce will affect you into later life whether you like it or not, the annoying/interesting thing is you seem to on some level keep that childlike mentality. Another example would be (stealing from a film to which the name remains elusive) imagine you were born in cavemen times but never died, stayed in perfect health throughout time, you could remember snippets of the things happening around you, you could remember some of the valleys and areas around which you lived but come the dawn of maps you wouldn't know which area became Africa and which area became Europe but you still remember the appearance of certain valleys distinctly, you remember the emotions that flooded through you when you gazed upon the sun rising over certain mountain ridges, you'd be left with a desire to experience that again perhaps but wouldn't know how to get there and as a result you would probably be left with the desire to travel a lot but not entirely know why. If you flip that to be regarding a negative experience and add to it that it's quite likely that DevilDoll watched other kids that were happy with their family and wanting that for herself it makes perfect sense so I wouldn't say it was selfish more that it's natural and completely understandable. I would be willing to bet that DevilDoll was like a mini adult as a kid because of the stuff she went through, knew what she wanted and didn't want quickly, quite observant and outspoken too.

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilDoll
Why does it have to be so painful when children are forced to be the mature figures in families, where the parents are emotionally spinning out of control? I see this kind of thing all the time.

Why does it have to be so painful when children are forced to be the mature figures in families, where the parents are emotionally spinning out of control? I see this kind of thing all the time.

I am confused by this post. Are you saying that I shouldn't be upset about my parents spinning emotionally out of control? That it shouldn't be painful to me? If so, I'd like to point out that I have have been the grownup in my family since I was in elementary school. I am far more mature than both of my parents and I often find myself picking up their messes. Don't you think that is a bit backwards? and can't you see where it would have an adverse effect on me or any person in my situation?

No.