Differences between writing style and personality? | INFJ Forum

Differences between writing style and personality?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What are the main differences between your writing style and personality irl? Is the same or do you think the writing hides or reveals more (intentionally or not)?

Reactions: anica
I am less playful when I write, both in general, and specifically, regarding those things potentially lewd and lascivious. Also, I tend not to write expletives, or engage in written sarcasm.

Tovlo has suggested that in real life I present as a brother of Shai Gar. :wink:

That said, I think quite a lot is revealed, perhaps more than is immediately apparent. If parts of myself are concealed, it is usually because I don't feel the drive to write about myself or my experience in the form of a blog, etc. Energies are directed at other pursuits as opposed to purposeful omissions or some kind of architected cloaking.

cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Gaze
unfortunately i think mines similar. unfortunate bc i want to go deeper, seems i get hung up on an idea or notion of how i see things, and ill write the hell out of it. its like my writing is directly connected to how deep in myself i am irl anyway and i can't help but feel im just puttin colorful words to the surface of my reality which to me is pointless, i might as well just write a paragraph on how i see things and call it a day.

unfortunately i think mines similar. unfortunate bc i want to go deeper, seems i get hung up on an idea or notion of how i see things, and ill write the hell out of it. its like my writing is directly connected to how deep in myself i am irl anyway and i can't help but feel im just puttin colorful words to the surface of my reality which to me is pointless, i might as well just write a paragraph on how i see things and call it a day.

I feel this way sometimes. My writing style is a bit dramatic (at least i hope not :D) that it probably gives a not so great impression of how i would be in irl. I am an emotional person but not so dramatic. I use my writing to express what i wouldn't otherwise express unless i'm speaking to close family or friends. So, i think that i'm probably more subdued and less dramatic/intense than my writing suggests *thankfully*. I'm more observant and tend to go with the flow more irl where as i'm a little more forward and more assertive online.

Last edited:
My writing is sometimes more abrasive than my personality. It's difficult to show my caring and openness online when I am writing some type of criticism or spouting off my own tomfoolery. I need some sort of permanent Fe tag like "Not intending to cause harm, please alert me to your grievances and I will happily work with you."

Last edited:
irl I am crazy and that isn't as evident when I type messages. I once had a professor ask me if I was the person who wrote a group paper because she said my voice or style was very evident in the paper. I don't typcially feel the need to edit my views or show a face that doesn't belong to me, whatever the media. That being said, I am more concious to let it be known I am joking when typing on a forum then in real life because there is no body language or tone to convey the message. Also, on line you have the option of not responding to things without it seeming rude which doesn't happen irl. I can tend to be rather abrupt with what I consider foolishness and sometimes can't hide my irritation with others. So perhaps I come across as nicer because I can filter out and ignore what I want which isn't available irl without being rude.

I think my writing style is a concentrated dose of the persona I present to the world. I'm also not nearly as verbose or lyrical in my every day speech, but in my mind, that's how it all comes together--even if I cannot outwardly express it as such. That, and the complicated business of interacting and relating people brings out different aspects of my personality as opposed to part of myself that comes out when I'm entirely alone with my thoughts... which is essentially the part most engaged when I'm writing.

I rarely speak the way I write, or at least the opportunity to speak in the complexity I write has yet to present itself. In so far as to say my writing style has been compared to whats his face, eckhart tolle, the other day and I was going yeah right. Perhaps I am reading too much esoteric literature. Either way my style is a process and that process is as it comes. Much more caustic when stressed, much more flowing when relaxed.

Strangely my energy is shifting towards a more open modality of comfort and am adjusting accordingly. Last few months in particular have been transforming. Instead of my poverty mentality, lacking in everything, being a limiter in my experiences. My change is starting to manifest into an abundance mentality, wanting in everything. In so far my emotional scale is in positive vibrations without the negative vibrations. In other words as we are brought up into this world we are brought up in negative synchronicity and that is how we react to the world around us instead of believe in positive synchronicity and adapting towards a state of attainment that is very nearly subconsciously creating for us the reality we are choosing. If that makes sense, and drawn to the energies that resemble our experiences more and more and how we modify them towards our choosing. In so far as we find our primal wounds to be experiences where we live in the past or the future we are placing a momentum swing to live in the present without the negative vibrational states affecting us from our past and projecting towards future events. Strange.

And well its a style.

I think my writing style is closer to who I really am than the personality I convey to people irl. I like to choose just the right words to express what I'm trying to say completely and concisely. Usually my writing shows more depth, emotion, and abstractedness than when I speak. My problem is, when I try to speak my mind, I'm usually still trying to sort out exactly what it is I'm thinking. Since people generally don't have the patience to wait until I've found the exact right words to express myself, I tend to simplify for the sake of good communication.
I've noticed that when I'm talking to someone I feel comfortable with, I can be more verbally expressive, and more like my writing. The words just flow more easily because I'm under less stress. People are usually surprised by my writing, since they realize that the part of me I show them is only scratching the surface.

I think my Fi comes through more in writing. I find writing a much, much easier way to articulate my thoughts. In person, I'm a little more jumbled, less articulate, possibly relying on metaphor even more (which confuses some people as much as it's meant to clarify). As a result, I'm less formal (I probably wouldn't start a sentence with "as a result" for instance :D), and a little "lighter" in tone. I can range anywhere from spacey to a bit prickly in demeanor. I think online, the spacey aspect is less apparent; Ne ideas are arranged by inferior Te perhaps (I do often "organize" my posts...). If I am really comfortable with someone and we're talking about a topic that I have a lot of thoughts on, then I can resemble my online self. Still Ne is a bit more apparent in person, as far as the random, non-linear aspect goes.

People tend to either think I am sweet + shy or aloof + prickly. It takes them longer to realize I am intelligent also. The spacey aspect throws them off, and I may not be quick to speak, as I need time to arrange my thoughts a bit.

Johnathan,

I DEFINITELY relate to what you wrote.

I think people think I can be sort of aloof/standoffish because if I say something I want it to be PRECISELY what I'm thinking. If I can piece the words together right so that my feelings/thoughts are accurately reflected by the words, I feel very satisfied. This can usually result in my using uncommonly specific, "big" words, so I probably come off as snobby, insincere, or in hopes of impressing others.

I like writing.

I was a foreign language/linguistics major in college. One of the greatest gifts I've ever been given is the ability to express myself in another language, it grants you a breadth and depth in your communication that you didn't know possible. Monolingualistic thinking and communicating is limited in ways that you don't understand until you assume another sociolinguistic identity. It is very very rewarding and neat, and I think INFJs are pretty kick ass at language learning anyway.

My writing is even less consistant than myself, and that's saying something.

I'm always surprised at how formal my writing style is. many here on the forum have writing styles which are so natural, fluid, and authentic, and i'm envious :D While I rewrite, rephrase, and translate when i'm writing because what comes to mind sometimes sound so different than i what i intended. This is why i edit my posts so often - i can't help being conscious that what is understood or interpreted is quite different from what i wanted to say.

Last edited:
When I write, I tend to be organized, cold, and precise. In conversation, I'm sentimental, circuitous, and wishy-washy. It's really different. Twice this month after reading my own email I had to tell people who were not familiar with my writing style that I was not trying to be cold.

I'm just less LOLOLOLL LIEK THOSE MONKEYZ R DA BOMB:m149::m180::m046::m114: AND OTHERZ 2, U KNO I DUN WANNA DO TEH DESCRIMINATION LOLOLOLOL I LIKE WATERMELONS LOOLL LMAO HAHA GUINEA PIGS LOL in real life.

One weird thing, its that online I somehow at first come off as very extroverted, very expressive, very little flowers under the rainbow or just some kind of hippie while IRL I come off as rigid, robotic, controlling and organized (Because apparently I have a J face). :/

Well what impression does my writing style give? I feel like I wouldn't be able to judge my own style accurately.

Well what impression does my writing style give? I feel like I wouldn't be able to judge my own style accurately.

Give me a nice sampler (may three or four paragraphs) and I'll tell you.

Make a thread! :D

Mmm. That's opening up an entire can of worms. I don't mind doing it for a small group of people, but I definitely wouldn't be committed enough to do an entire thread.

Unless you'd like to assist me in that endeavorer, Anita. In which case, by all means, open up a thread. I'll hop on in. :D