[INFJ] - Differences between individual INFJ's | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Differences between individual INFJ's

Certainly you're not killing this thread ;)
Welcome!

I'm not entirely sure if I understood: what do you mean by "Unless the ISFJ is an infj, in which case there would be an added variable of strength of Ni"?
But overall I would consider to agree with your opinion that the differencess between individual INFJ's are their ability to socialize, hide/show their passions and so on. I myself tend to be generous about my inner world of ideas and visions, spreading them apart all around people in most of the companies I socialize with. But then I want to stress that I found out that I'm not socializing with other people but those I really know. This I found out these last couple of days.

So in other words: I might talk a lot of my Ni, showing trust, but only because every other "normal" person I don't ever meet. (I find it hard to put down in words in English, but hopefully you understand the whole picture of what I'm trying to say here).

Thank you for making me welcome ☺️

I'm a big old lurker when it comes to forums. Usually I'm content debating the argument in my own head. But lately this subject of variation of INFJs vs mistyping of INFJs has been on my mind. So I wanted to crowd source some ideas from experts.

What I'm getting at I guess is the spectrum of INFJs. If my friend whom I typed as isfj, but who tests as infj is an infj then she's a low Ni infj. I have high Ni but test close to intj and get on well with INtjs , though I know I'm not in their camp.

If you're happy being open with your friends are there many of them and what are their types? I am only open with my closest friends. They are infj, intj and intp.

Bless your mom ��
My volatile infj friend had no kids. Sadly she died last year. She had a short but firey life.

I hope she was not cause for her own death. The way people are so disturbed by death and aging they often take so many preemptive measure as to bring about their own demise. I am reminded of Sigmund Freud's ponderings about suicidal urges and if they could be a part of the reproductive cycle. Perhaps somewhere out beyond our senses we might truly be immortal like the matter that composes us yet only finite by the means to distinguish ourselves in all of life's complexities. That would be quite some work of satirical irony.
If you're happy being open with your friends are there many of them and what are their types? I am only open with my closest friends. They are infj, intj and intp.
I suspect us intuitive introverts would get along quite well. Do you know of any INFP? They are quite a marvel to behold in conversations.

I have only typed my relatives, but I suspect one of my friends of being an ENTP, another is an INTJ and I have bumped into so many INTP. I have yet to find any ESTP or ENTJ which I hear are amazing fun to have around. I started classifying INFJ before I even discovered MBTI. You all stand out as much as a sore thumb. But I have never had a long term friendship with an INFJ, often some asshole comes along and pulls you off into some shady dealings and I'm all like NOPE that ain't for me! Then the emotions go sour as if someone pissed in the fruit punch.

I never realized how much of a push over I was until I was able to view my personality from such an objective standpoint as the MBTI. Do you feel the same way?

Last edited:
Well, they might be considered many by some, consisting of members of my family, classmates and the community in church. But even if there are several "groups" that I tend to share my thoughts with, there is still a matter of layers when it comes to how deeply I'm sharing, and of what kind of thoughts and parts of my inners self they'll hear about.

My pastor, being one of my closest friends and an INTJ, will hear about my heart for christ, church and the matters of faith, but maybe not as much of my feelings, as he himself are quite not sharing about sensitive "stuff".

My mother (may also be an INFJ, but this hasn't been confirmed) will hear more about my feelings and thoughts on others feelings or impacts of events in their lifes. I know that I shouldn't be sharing as much logic talking to her though (I myself have developed my Ti quite well, having a lot of T-friends as a child).

Classmates... well, I would guess I'm not sharing that much deep matters, but I still will share a part of me, making sure that I'm staying true to myself and my ideal of that everyone should be themselfs. So I might get a little philophical sometimes, giving a thought of the meaning of life or such, and they will look at me as though I were strange (I am to them) but still find it interesting enough that they hear me out.

Ideal i wouldn't "have to" bring myself to give away one single part of myself to each group of people, but there would be only one group knowing all of me, and I knowing all of them. Sharing eachothers lifes and thoughts, feelings and hurts. But I guess I haven't found my "soul mate" yet ("soul group").

But I am a little more confident sharing my thoughts with others anyway. I'm sharing with you, aren't I? I know it's based in my childhood being rather secure and seing the best in others. I'm simply not that suspiscious of others, and since my mother might also be an INFJ I wouldn't have felt that speciel as if there weren't any other N's or F's in my family (my brother's an ENFP, so we have quite a lot ot hem "idealists" you could say).

Skarekrow said:
Never mind that this is on a Socionics website (as most portray the INFJ as a negative entity).
This is a great explanation of Jung’s thoughts on INFJs and Individuation (synonymous with growth or development) and expanded on by W. Harold Grant who worked with Briggs-Myers.

This makes the most sense to me, and explains why there can be large differences in one INFJ to another.

Fair resource, though just some comments...

It's worth noting that things that talk about "type development" using a specific order of functioning tend to follow some of the more prescriptive, overly narrow versions of the MBTI functions models.
Harold Grant's model is often used as the default, but as John Beebe, one of the analysts who likes that model + his additions to it notes, other Jungians significantly oppose that model, and tend towards the viewpoint that the top two functions occur in the same attitude, corresponding to the idea that there is one overall attitude of consciousness/the ego that applies to the most differentiated/developed functions.

Some general quotes to ponder:

John Beebe said:
So we just sort of learned this in the most down-home natural way, and so, intuitive type, thinking type, feeling type, sensation type were absolute realities to all of us, and extravert, and introvert, and so forth. And then we had Wayne Detloff who was the man who first did the heretical thing of telling us that there was such a thing as a Myers-Brigg Type Indicator, and he was the one who told me something that I gather still is heretical in some circles, but not in the circles I travel in and create for myself, that if the superior function is extraverted, then the auxiliary function is introverted. If the superior function is introverted, the auxiliary is extraverted. And I know that there are many people who still resist the idea, but I am absolutely enamored of it, and I can usually prove how it is true of them, even against their resistance. But in any case, for what it is worth, it was Wayne Detloff who was the source of that idea and my experience.

Here is Dario Nardi on function development/orders:

Dario Nardi said:
Carl Jung identified four functions: sensing and intuiting as ways to focus attention, and thinking and feeling as ways to make decisions. Jung observed functions develop in an introverted or extraverted attitude. Thus, eight function-attitudes. Later, Isabel Myers described sixteen type patterns. We each have a dominant function and an auxiliary function to provide balance – everyone does perceiving and judging, introverting and extroverting. For example INTJ is defined as preferring introverted Intuiting (dominant) with extroverted Thinking (auxiliary). Beyond the first two function-attitudes, there may be a linear sequence. The location of a function in the sequence indicates what is in consciousness, what is preferred, and our skill level using the function. Table 1 shows the possible linear sequence for INTJ. More developed conscious functions are on the left.
Dario Nardi said:
This model does not work for everyone, and diverges slightly from Myer’s original hypothesis, which switches the third and seventh functions. This switch was proposed by Harold Grant and others in 1983 and many find it true. Grant proposed that functions develop one after another over a lifetime following this sequence. This model has caught on but seems to miss something.

I would note that the models go as follows:

- many orthodox Jungians: a type with introverted intuition dom and feeling auxiliary = either NiFeTeSe (with Fe underdeveloped) or NiFiTeSe
(In other words, the attitude of consciousness and the ego remains introverted, and the extraversion of a function in an introvert implies its fusion with unconscious influences, rather than being mostly deployed by an act of conscious willing.)

- Harold Grant/Beebe/usually Nardi/Berens: INFJ=NiFeTiSe, often with an added opposing/shadow personality of NeFiTeSi..albeit this came after Grant, and was pioneered by Beebe

- Myers originally: INFJ=NiFeTeSe (with Fe developed)

- Myers later in life started moving to the Grant perspective

- Socionics theorist Gulenko proposes MBTI INFJ correlates best to socionics EII, contrary to the assumption often made that it correlates to IEI. Here it's because Gulenko is saying INFJ maps to INFj, rather than MBTI NiFe mapping to socionics NiFe.

Note that these theorists may not all define the terms N, F, T, S the same as each other, so that is an additional precision point.

Just throwing this info out there, as it's better to note it down rather than get too attached to one model (because let's face it -- people love to sell their models as the one correct one...but the reality is they're often, as Beebe put it, enamored by their model, and it's not always the case that one single modeling paradigm best describes people.)

There's a good body of evidence from most of the leading functions theorists' tests that people's function-attitudes rarely take any one prescriptive order, and that different models seem to work for different people, so think critically and conceptually about them, or don't use them at all if unwilling to put that time in.

I wanted to note all this, as it's often underestimated how much disagreement there is among the big name theorists out there. A lot of what you see as the functions-theory purported to hold is NOT actually supported by either the man Jung himself or his most orthodox followers.

And Isabel Myers herself admitted that her interpretation of Jung in proposing the aux is the opposite attitude to the dom is not supported by most Jungians (a fact which Beebe echoes, and he should know, as he's a trained Jungian with extensive interaction with other Jungian analysts in his time.)

Last edited:
Well, they might be considered many by some, consisting of members of my family, classmates and the community in church. But even if there are several "groups" that I tend to share my thoughts with, there is still a matter of layers when it comes to how deeply I'm sharing, and of what kind of thoughts and parts of my inners self they'll hear about.

My pastor, being one of my closest friends and an INTJ, will hear about my heart for christ, church and the matters of faith, but maybe not as much of my feelings, as he himself are quite not sharing about sensitive "stuff".

My mother (may also be an INFJ, but this hasn't been confirmed) will hear more about my feelings and thoughts on others feelings or impacts of events in their lifes. I know that I shouldn't be sharing as much logic talking to her though (I myself have developed my Ti quite well, having a lot of T-friends as a child).

Classmates... well, I would guess I'm not sharing that much deep matters, but I still will share a part of me, making sure that I'm staying true to myself and my ideal of that everyone should be themselfs. So I might get a little philophical sometimes, giving a thought of the meaning of life or such, and they will look at me as though I were strange (I am to them) but still find it interesting enough that they hear me out.

Ideal i wouldn't "have to" bring myself to give away one single part of myself to each group of people, but there would be only one group knowing all of me, and I knowing all of them. Sharing eachothers lifes and thoughts, feelings and hurts. But I guess I haven't found my "soul mate" yet ("soul group").

But I am a little more confident sharing my thoughts with others anyway. I'm sharing with you, aren't I? I know it's based in my childhood being rather secure and seing the best in others. I'm simply not that suspiscious of others, and since my mother might also be an INFJ I wouldn't have felt that speciel as if there weren't any other N's or F's in my family (my brother's an ENFP, so we have quite a lot ot hem "idealists" you could say).

It sounds like you have a nice circle of friends you can talk to. It's natural to share certain aspects of yourself with selected people. Different friend types bring out different aspects of your own personality. I think having had a secure childhood must be a big influence on you now. I found a wall of misunderstanding as a child/young person and it made me expect to be misunderstood. The plus side is when I meet people who get me I appreciate them even more.

I find there's a lot of surface stuff I'll happily share with anyone, but as I grow older I'm less interested in sharing my inner self with people unless I know them and trust them. I don't want their muddy foot prints on my sacred ground . That's a bit of a problem I find with my ENFJ friend. Despite myself I find myself telling her things because she opens up deep topics about motivations. But afterwards I feel sharing guilt and wish I'd kept my mouth shut.

I hope she was not cause for her own death. The way people are so disturbed by death and aging they often take so many preemptive measure as to bring about their own demise. I am reminded of Sigmund Freud's ponderings about suicidal urges and if they could be a part of the reproductive cycle. Perhaps somewhere out beyond our senses we might truly be immortal like the matter that composes us yet only finite by the means to distinguish ourselves in all of life's complexities. That would be quite some work of satirical irony.

I suspect us intuitive introverts would get along quite well. Do you know of any INFP? They are quite a marvel to behold in conversations.

I have only typed my relatives, but I suspect one of my friends of being an ENTP, another is an INTJ and I have bumped into so many INTP. I have yet to find any ESTP or ENTJ which I hear are amazing fun to have around. I started classifying INFJ before I even discovered MBTI. You all stand out as much as a sore thumb. But I have never had a long term friendship with an INFJ, often some asshole comes along and pulls you off into some shady dealings and I'm all like NOPE that ain't for me! Then the emotions go sour as if someone pissed in the fruit punch.

I never realized how much of a push over I was until I was able to view my personality from such an objective standpoint as the MBTI. Do you feel the same way?

My infj friend didn't kill herself. She was always very dramatic so it was very like her to die tragically at a young age. Sad though.

I have an INFP friend who I love like a sister. She's an archetypal hippy and very cool and laid back. Sometimes too laid back for me!

My previous flatmate was the only intp I've ever knowingly known. She has a high standard of honour and lives by her personal code of ethics. If anyone oversteps her code they are dead to her. I don't know if that's typical INTP. What I did see in her that fits the stereotype was her knowing all the information and doing a lot of thinking and research, but then not acting on it. I used to tease her about that a lot.

I don't reslly understand what you're saying about your previous infj friendships. Why did they go bad?

Despite myself I find myself telling her things because she opens up deep topics about motivations. But afterwards I feel sharing guilt and wish I'd kept my mouth shut.
I find this being true for myself also. Even though I might talk a lot with many, there is a probability that I'm not entiraly happy about it ("I share to much about myself").

Fair resource, though just some comments...

It's worth noting that things that talk about "type development" using a specific order of functioning tend to follow some of the more prescriptive, overly narrow versions of the MBTI functions models.
Harold Grant's model is often used as the default, but as John Beebe, one of the analysts who likes that model + his additions to it notes, other Jungians significantly oppose that model, and tend towards the viewpoint that the top two functions occur in the same attitude, corresponding to the idea that there is one overall attitude of consciousness/the ego that applies to the most differentiated/developed functions.

Some general quotes to ponder:

Here is Dario Nardi on function development/orders:

I would note that the models go as follows:

- many orthodox Jungians: a type with introverted intuition dom and feeling auxiliary = either NiFeTeSe (with Fe underdeveloped) or NiFiTeSe
(In other words, the attitude of consciousness and the ego remains introverted, and the extraversion of a function in an introvert implies its fusion with unconscious influences, rather than being mostly deployed by an act of conscious willing.)

- Harold Grant/Beebe/usually Nardi/Berens: INFJ=NiFeTiSe, often with an added opposing/shadow personality of NeFiTeSi..albeit this came after Grant, and was pioneered by Beebe

- Myers originally: INFJ=NiFeTeSe (with Fe developed)

- Myers later in life started moving to the Grant perspective

- Socionics theorist Gulenko proposes MBTI INFJ correlates best to socionics EII, contrary to the assumption often made that it correlates to IEI. Here it's because Gulenko is saying INFJ maps to INFj, rather than MBTI NiFe mapping to socionics NiFe.

Note that these theorists may not all define the terms N, F, T, S the same as each other, so that is an additional precision point.

Just throwing this info out there, as it's better to note it down rather than get too attached to one model (because let's face it -- people love to sell their models as the one correct one...but the reality is they're often, as Beebe put it, enamored by their model, and it's not always the case that one single modeling paradigm best describes people.)

There's a good body of evidence from most of the leading functions theorists' tests that people's function-attitudes rarely take any one prescriptive order, and that different models seem to work for different people, so think critically and conceptually about them, or don't use them at all if unwilling to put that time in.

I wanted to note all this, as it's often underestimated how much disagreement there is among the big name theorists out there. A lot of what you see as the functions-theory purported to hold is NOT actually supported by either the man Jung himself or his most orthodox followers.

And Isabel Myers herself admitted that her interpretation of Jung in proposing the aux is the opposite attitude to the dom is not supported by most Jungians (a fact which Beebe echoes, and he should know, as he's a trained Jungian with extensive interaction with other Jungian analysts in his time.)

Thanks for the great info, very interesting!
The link I provided was very basic yes…but it can give a good general idea about the progression of someone as they grow and their mind matures.
I wouldn’t say it was the end all of explanations though.
Thanks for the additional thoughts!!

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] no problem; the intent is basically to get people away from tanglement in a specific model, and to really think critically and deeply about themselves, and describe themselves the most natural way (rather than the "best-fit" according to one given set of rigid assumptions). And if there's anything convincing in that direction, it's posting that the scholars themselves are more undecided than the internet forum world sometimes mistakenly gets the impression of.

@Skarekrow no problem; the intent is basically to get people away from tanglement in a specific model, and to really think critically and deeply about themselves, and describe themselves the most natural way (rather than the "best-fit" according to one given set of rigid assumptions). And if there's anything convincing in that direction, it's posting that the scholars themselves are more undecided than the internet forum world sometimes mistakenly gets the impression of.

Sure, sure!
I have always told people trying to figure how they fit into the MBTI that it’s a basic guideline and not something rigid…I was giving him an example of why something as simple as an age difference can cause huge differences even amongst those with the same grouping.

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] no problem; the intent is basically to get people away from tanglement in a specific model, and to really think critically and deeply about themselves, and describe themselves the most natural way (rather than the "best-fit" according to one given set of rigid assumptions). And if there's anything convincing in that direction, it's posting that the scholars themselves are more undecided than the internet forum world sometimes mistakenly gets the impression of.

And what is wrong with contributing towards a specific well defined model? You are not thinking critically and deeply about yourself right now for you are thinking about people outside of yourself. What exactly is this "natural way" that you propose for without proof isnt it an assumption itself?

A true scholar is not blissfully ignorant and full of imagined assurance. Testing one's beliefs either MBTI or otherwise against all that comes your way is the only way to provide solid evidence that something works.

The only thing you are advocating is Anarchy.
and that different models seem to work for different people
No that say-anything safety catch won't work here, it is not true and you are wrong. How about you read the manual and list which type you are before ditching the entire concept of MBTI. For your eyes only get it into your head, I don't want to see more frivolous copy pasta revisional spaghetti code.

@Skarecrow does not seem to be fully conceding to your point that you have yet to make, simply put your business is not their area of expertise. They won't ever be up to par with your impossible unset standards. All you are doing is Nay saying without any new course of action. And you won't propose anything will you just keep sitting there criticizing the scholarly with anti intellectual ardor.

Last edited:
[MENTION=9995]Dohavior[/MENTION] -
I am noting anarchy that exists, not trying to start it. It is worth noting the scholars disagree on key points whether or not I (in the same post) propose how to resolve their differences.
I do have many thoughts on how to see Jungian typology in a way that applies universally and seamlessly, without making the various assumptions taken and run with by particular models, and have and will continue to share them with the internet community.
My method is to identify what is universally true about each of the models+add on ideas of my own on what is universally true.

If you're that anxious that I proposed the scholars disagree without saying how to resolve their disagreements, then you can try asking me a question on how to resolve something or another, and I'll try to hazard a constructive answer. I've resolved most of the points of concern to me, if not all, and there's probably a decent chance your concerns will fall in the bucket.

There are certain traits to an INFJ, right? Otherwise it would be impossible to take a personality test. But there are also differences between every single INFJ, and I wonder how big these differences are. Say that there are X questions you may answere in an test. Giving the answere "yes" to 70% of them makes you an INFJ. Are there any patterns in how individual INFJ's answere these, and could it be possible to distinguish "the core" of being an INFJ - traits that every INFJ share!

If I had a list of every trait associated with INFJ's, we could make a survey I suppose (But I don't know how to make a good one).
It would be interesting to make a confidence interval and such.

There are plenty of differences between INFJ's.
Some of them annoy me to no end because they seem insensitive to me or like complete internet trolls.
Others say one thing and do the other. Some are extremely similar to me.
Just that we all have the same MBTI doesn't mean we're copies of each other in different bodies with different experiences.
We all have our own sets of ideals, experiences, likes and dislikes and insecurities.
All these things and many more contribute to shaping people in who they are as a person.
And I fully believe that if I had different experiences i'd have had different ideals, insecurities and likely likes and dislikes.
The only thing I believe I'd always have consistent is the order in which my brains function and on which functions my emphasis lay.

The biggest difference is level of maturity and development. Younger INFJs are just barely aware of their functions and have not learned to use their functions to benefit them, while older infjs tend to be working toward improving and balancing out their functions while being aware of their weaker aspects. Everybody else falls in between these two extremes.

I disagree, I think younger INFJ's just view their functions as differently then when they get older. But I do agree the older most INFJ's get the more they strive towards improving themselves as a person. Perhaps though, this is a sign of maturity, since there are plenty of other people who strive to improve themselves in their own ways, in different things.

For me I've used my NF for as long as I can remember, and lived completely on it. Hell I wouldn't even dare to go against my intuition on a serious matter.
That doesn't mean other INFJ's are the same in this, but I think that we might be in the way that possibly some functions are always a little more developed at an earlier age for each of the types.

I disagree, I think younger INFJ's just view their functions as differently then when they get older. But I do agree the older most INFJ's get the more they strive towards improving themselves as a person. Perhaps though, this is a sign of maturity, since there are plenty of other people who strive to improve themselves in their own ways, in different things.

For me I've used my NF for as long as I can remember, and lived completely on it. Hell I wouldn't even dare to go against my intuition on a serious matter.
That doesn't mean other INFJ's are the same in this, but I think that we might be in the way that possibly some functions are always a little more developed at an earlier age for each of the types.

I don't think so. As you get older as an infj you learn to use the functions in accordance with your lifestyle and goals. Just viewing them differently is not enough. Most younger infjs do not have the capacity to use their functions fully because they have not had enough experiences in life to fully state what they want out of life. After age 30, the purpose and development of the functions become necessary. until then; younger infjs will just sporadically use their functions for the fun of it and not put serious weight on how it helps or hinders them.

I don't think so. As you get older as an infj you learn to use the functions in accordance with your lifestyle and goals. Just viewing them differently is not enough. Most younger infjs do not have the capacity to use their functions fully because they have not had enough experiences in life to fully state what they want out of life. After age 30, the purpose and development of the functions become necessary. until then; younger infjs will just sporadically use their functions for the fun of it and not put serious weight on how it helps or hinders them.

In other words INFJ start out all cute and cuddly:
http://cf067b.medialib.glogster.com/media/a7/a7383d3c74672f6468e53ae563631a84619333ab58fb8aedcf5b5638d7e94a93/baby-monkey-1-jpg.jpg

But then they get bigger like a viscious bloodthirsty ape:
http://www.cinemascream.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/The-Ape-Still-4.jpg

And 20 feet tall with laser eyes you say?

Sure, sure!
I have always told people trying to figure how they fit into the MBTI that it’s a basic guideline and not something rigid…I was giving him an example of why something as simple as an age difference can cause huge differences even amongst those with the same grouping.

And I got it! ;)

And as for my search for the INFJ-box, I'm fully awere there isn't totally any "best-fit" or rigid - people are different, that's just the way it is. Trying to put everyone in one box an except them to be the same is just stupid... imo. But I'm still convinced there are certain traits they would share, and now I'm looking for "how big" that box can get, or how small. If you know what I mean?

I want to know the core, so that I later on can remove the box... or find out that there never could be an box at all.

And I got it! ;)

And as for my search for the INFJ-box, I'm fully awere there isn't totally any "best-fit" or rigid - people are different, that's just the way it is. Trying to put everyone in one box an except them to be the same is just stupid... imo. But I'm still convinced there are certain traits they would share, and now I'm looking for "how big" that box can get, or how small. If you know what I mean?

I want to know the core, so that I later on can remove the box... or find out that there never could be an box at all.

And that was one of the points that Jung made about Individuation…that someone who is mature and does the proper self-work should be able to incorporate and use all of their 8 functions as more dominate and a lesser amount of axillary.
So for example, while you as an INFJ will always prefer the specific order of INFJ thinking, we learn to develop our other functions to a greater level.

This may be helpful to you as well…(once again, not the end all for what is correct)
Exercises for Accessing the Functions-Attitudes:

You might want to figure out how to access the mental functions to see how you are using them; this is a set of exercises that type practitioners have developed to help people understand how comfortable they are with the various mental functions.

For these exercises, you need to pick an object which could be anything: a pen, an apple, an orange, a piece of candy, etc.

Function- AttitudeExercise
Extraverted SensingExplore the object with your five senses as you are experiencing the object right now; look at the object, taste it (if edible!), smell it, crunch it to hear the sound, smell its aroma.
Introverted SensingHold the object and think of an experience you have had with an object that is similar; recall the sensory detail of the experience that you had with the object; what it was, what it looked like, what you did with it, who was there, what you were wearing, when it was
Extraverted IntuitionWith someone else, talk about everything you could do with the object that you have not done before.
Introverted IntuitionClose your eyes and identify what the object symbolizes or means to you.
Extraverted ThinkingTake several disparate objects and organize those using objective criteria; ask someone else to identify the criteria that you used.
Introverted ThinkingThink of all the different kinds of objects that you have and categorize them in your mind into mutually exclusive groupings; write those categories down to determine if there are any overlapping categories.
Extraverted FeelingDo something for someone with the object that will make them feel good.
Introverted FeelingClose your eyes and see if the object reflects anything that is really important to you — reflect on those deeply held values.

The five levels of understanding are as follows:

• Verifying and Understanding your basic four letter MBTI Type
  • Understanding Type Dynamics
  • Growing through Type Development
  • Understanding the Jungian Psyche Model

• Moving through Individuation

Level One: Verifying and Understanding Your Basic Four-Letter MBTI Type

Benefits: The ‘aha’s’ of affirmation of who you are and insight into those who are different from you.
The first level of understanding in our lifelong journey of individuation is to become conscious of who we are in relationship to our self and others, through the lens of the MBTI® instrument and our four-letter type code. This involves:

• Taking the indicator, receiving a thorough feedback session with a certified practitioner, and verifying one’s “Best-Fit Type
  • Experiencing the differences among types; that people have different “lenses” through which they view the world and come to different conclusions”.
  • Learning to accept and value the differences and the gifts of each type

The insights and “a-ha’s” people experience when they learn about their type is what has made the MBTI® indicator so popular. After learning about their type, people are often heard saying things like: “Yes, this is me, and it’s OK to be me” or “Oh, I know why I have trouble getting along with my sister” or “It saved my marriage” or “It helped me to work more productively with my team.” These insights can be life-changing.

The majority of people who take the MBTI® instrument do not move much farther beyond this level of interpretation, and that is OK. For many, this level of understanding is enough; but others, when given clues that there is more, become intrigued and go further along the path of understanding.

Level Two: Type Dynamics – Understanding the Dynamic Nature of Your Four-Letter MBTI Type

“Using psychological type as the basis for understanding development and consciously directing our growth, bridges type theory with the Jungian psyche and the process of individuation.” - Katharine D. Myers

Benefits: Affirming your particular gifts and understanding how and when to use those gifts to operate more consciously in the world. Knowing that you have choices to use the mental processes that are appropriate for the situation. Gaining an awareness of, and appreciation for, individual differences at a deeper level.

Moving beyond the four- letter type code to the next level of understanding — to Level Two on the 5 levels triangle — involves gaining an understanding of Type Dynamics, or how the Eight Function-Attitudes interact within your particular type code to develop the personality that is you.

Knowing what our favorite functions are — what mental functions we access more easily and use best (our dominant and our auxiliary), and how our inferior function can be problematic, helps us to gain a better understanding of why we behave as we do when we are feeling our best, and when we are “not ourselves.” The more familiar we become with how we think — how our mental functions operate within us, the less we are apt to feel “stuck” in situations that are challenging or perplexing. We become more able, and have more tools, to adapt to challenges and we learn to forgive ourselves and others when we are “not ourselves.”

Level Three: Type Development – Growing and Developing in Your Type

(See the PDF, Using Psychological Type as a Model for Conscious Growth for more information.)

Benefits: Acquiring a map or compass, or a “how-to” model for your growth and development. Understanding your type development path for learning new skills and behaviors and shedding old habits that may no longer be serving your best interests. An increased sense of balance and flexibility and new found sources of energy and personal satisfaction.

Level Three, the next level up on the 5 Levels triangle, is looking at and following the path for your growth and development through the lens of Type Development. Myers coined the phrase “16 paths to excellence” to indicate that there are 16 different type codes that have their own development map or path, through the type hierarchy.

Theoretically, Jung and Myers believed that the primary task of type development in the first half of life is to develop a strong dominant and auxiliary function and a strong ego, which gives us a degree of consistency, predictability and effectiveness for dealing with our life circumstances. In the second half of life, we turn our attention to those mental functions which have previously resided in the unconscious; we incorporate those parts of self that were previously neglected and unrealized.

However, Myers believed that good type development can be achieved at any age, by anyone who cares to understand his or her own type; type development does not necessarily take place in a linear fashion, but is influenced by the environment and life’s circumstances as well.

Insight into how you have developed particular mental functions and related skills, and how they relate to your type, are all a part of Level Three understanding.

Level Four: Understanding Yourself in Terms of Jung’s Psyche Model

(See PDf Nancy Millner’s article on individuation for more information.)

Benefits: A knowing that you are more than your four-letter type code and your ego; an ability to make choices that are more conscious rather than being driven by unconscious ones. Gaining an understanding of where Myers four-letter type and Jung’s theory of psychological types resides within the larger model of the psyche.

Moving to Level Four in the triangle is an introduction to Jung’s model of the “psyche.” The psyche can be thought of as all of our conscious and unconscious psychological energy. We can loosely think of the psyche as the non—physical aspects of ourselves. The psyche is composed of many theoretical constructs that are important to understand at this level.
Jungian-Psyche-Model.gif

The psyche is that mysterious part of us that is there to help us become more whole and balanced. The model of the psyche provides a bigger picture of who we are, and how we can search for and come to know who we are beyond our ego and our persona — and where our true Self lies within the individual and collective conscious and unconscious. The psyche is what helps us to maintain balance between the opposite forces in our life, propelling us forward to reach our untapped potential.

At this level of understanding, we begin to see how our type code fits into the bigger picture of Jungian psychology as a whole — how it enhances and how it limits our growth and development, and of what parts of ourselves we need to differentiate, or of what to become more conscious . We can begin to recognize the dynamic nature of psychic energy and begin to track how it has worked through the different stages of our lives; we can make different, more conscious choices as life moves forward.

Level Five: Grasping Jung’s Model of Individuation

Benefits: The ever increasing realization of who you truly are through the journey toward Self and your own psychological reality.

Level Five is about gaining insight into Jung’s theory of our lifelong journey toward our true Self or our soul. Level Five is at the top of the triangle, because it is the hardest of the levels to reach, and very few people who have been introduced to their type embark on the difficult but rewarding journey toward individuation.

Jung believed that we have an innate urge to grow along our type-guided path; to go beyond ego to become the totality of all that we are. We can either ignore our innate urge toward growth, or help this development through our conscious awareness of the process. Individuation is about the lifelong journey from unconscious to conscious unity. The process requires the difficult work of becoming ever more familiar with our own personal psychology and looking deeply our unconscious world through analysis of our dreams, images, complexes, archetypes and our shadow to help us incorporate these aspects of ourselves into our conscious knowing of who we are.

Jung believed that individuation is a lifelong process and that as humans, we never reach a fully individuated state; however, we can expand our knowing of Self through the process of having the content of our unconscious minds slowly reveal itself to us. For MBTI practitioners and interested users alike, the Indicator and knowing your typology can serve as the first step of becoming more self-aware and can serve as a compass on the journey of wholeness.

This may be helpful as well -

[video=youtube;y66F58fbNxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y66F58fbNxk[/video]​

Reactions: Sandie33
Maybe it's also worth noting, for the readers of my past few posts, that Jung and his arguably most famous and well regarded protege, who he personally regarded as one of the very best, both have written that there are multiple models possible, depending on how someone's preferences show up: there may either be just one main superior function, or one or two auxiliaries developed. In some cases, there are two conscious, two unconscious functions. In others, there can be two auxiliaries - when there are two developed functions modifying the conscious dominant one.

The idea isn't that there's no order to the madness -- the idea is simply that there are multiple forces of opposition in the psyche, and their relative strength in a given case is what varies. It's not that there's no order or sense to the madness, simply that there most certainly is variation that leads to different models.

Jung also spoke of an extensive ambiverted group, which are not visibly more introverted or extraverted. Obviously they cannot follow the model of possessing two conscious introverted or extraverted functions, with two unconscious functions in the opposite attitude.

The idea is there exist well-defined laws/ideas at work, but they are descriptive, not prescriptive. They tell you how to analyze yourself, not the answer you should be looking for.