[INFJ] - Differences between individual INFJ's | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Differences between individual INFJ's

Oscillation

Community Member
Feb 22, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
There are certain traits to an INFJ, right? Otherwise it would be impossible to take a personality test. But there are also differences between every single INFJ, and I wonder how big these differences are. Say that there are X questions you may answere in an test. Giving the answere "yes" to 70% of them makes you an INFJ. Are there any patterns in how individual INFJ's answere these, and could it be possible to distinguish "the core" of being an INFJ - traits that every INFJ share!

If I had a list of every trait associated with INFJ's, we could make a survey I suppose (But I don't know how to make a good one).
It would be interesting to make a confidence interval and such.

I agree with [MENTION=1814]invisible[/MENTION] about big differences involving the ideals we value. The ideals we value come from many different places such as one's culture and religion.
I think that typology mainly involves explaining how an individual's mind works. It can predict to a point how your mind might work to problem solve, your communication style, and social attitude, however, It still lacks a lot. The possible differences between people with the same type are innumerable. I think it's impossible to even pin down traits that will always be there if you are a certain type. Although, I'm sure you could easily find a list of traits that are usually had by a certain personality type.

But which traits does every INFJ share? I have for example read on different pages that INFJ's would be "quite" and on others that they are "sociable". In my opinion those are many times opposites of eachother. My conclusion is that this isn't a fundament for what it means to be an INFJ (of course not).

But what is the fundament of an INFJ then? Hmmm.

But which traits does every INFJ share? I have for example read on different pages that INFJ's would be "quite" and on others that they are "sociable". In my opinion those are many times opposites of eachother. My conclusion is that this isn't a fundament for what it means to be an INFJ (of course not).

But what is the fundament of an INFJ then? Hmmm.

It says in your profile that you are an INFJ so what do you think about it?

Concerning your comments an INFJ can be quiet and sociable at different times

One of the biggest differences is simply the distribution of the preferences/how they show up.

I once posted to a thread jokingly how when I first encountered MBTI I thought that INFJ were the devil. The reasoning behind it was that such a disposition seemed almost insane to me.

The classification INFJ is known as an archetype in particular the NF idealist type with idealism being an epistemology view based upon certain metaphysical limitations that create a sense of inherent priorities. And what I mean by metaphysical is the dynamic nature of your awareness of the world around you.

When I view an INFJ I see someone whom imagines an ideal situation and sets out to create it trying again and again. It reminds me of the story of Sisyphus or those quotes about making wheels that no one seems to get the original context. I lack certain insights to fully understand you. And I am left wondering if you truly appreciate what you have.

I simply cannot take the same route myself, just not that creative in some way as an INFJ. I like to learn things the hard way with honor and accountability, it gives a sense of accomplishment and feels good. I enjoy that and yet some view me as masochistic at times even going so far as to project their fears upon me. Which I don't mind and accept because it is simply more information. That is NT a Rational, I work with what I got.

If you look at MBTI functions as being the 8 deadly sins and form emotional dichotomies between them incorporating the models of the mind by Sigmund Freud then a lot of Carl Jung's Research makes sense. And then you can plot them on this pretty little wheel: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...utchik-wheel.svg/300px-Plutchik-wheel.svg.png

And then using the research into something called the Big five you can make an artificial INFJ. I tried plugging all this data into the Sims for a working prototype. My INFJ he sure is clever I still can't figure out how to drown him in the pool! Yet he has burned the house down twice! :(

Last edited:
I once posted to a thread jokingly how when I first encountered MBTI I thought that INFJ were the devil. The reasoning behind it was that such a disposition seemed almost insane to me.

The classification INFJ is known as an archetype in particular the NF idealist type with idealism being an epistemology view based upon certain metaphysical limitations that create a sense of inherent priorities. And what I mean by metaphysical is the dynamic nature of your awareness of the world around you.

When I view an INFJ I see someone whom imagines an ideal situation and sets out to create it trying again and again. It reminds me of the story of Sisyphus or those quotes about making wheels that no one seems to get the original context. I lack certain insights to fully understand you. And I am left wondering if you truly appreciate what you have.

I simply cannot take the same route myself, just not that creative in some way as an INFJ. I like to learn things the hard way with honor and accountability, it gives a sense of accomplishment and feels good. I enjoy that and yet some view me as masochistic at times even going so far as to project their fears upon me. Which I don't mind and accept because it is simply more information. That is NT a Rational, I work with what I got.

If you look at MBTI functions as being the 8 deadly sins and form emotional dichotomies between them incorporating the models of the mind by Sigmund Freud then a lot of Carl Jung's Research makes sense. And then you can plot them on this pretty little wheel: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...utchik-wheel.svg/300px-Plutchik-wheel.svg.png

And then using the research into something called the Big five you can make an artificial INFJ. I tried plugging all this data into the Sims for a working prototype. My INFJ he sure is clever I still can't figure out how to drown him in the pool! Yet he has burned the house down twice! :(

So INFJ's don't earn things the hard way with accomplishment and honour?

You're right you don't understand INFJ's

Keep trying, but no cigar

Reactions: Littlelissa
The biggest difference is level of maturity and development. Younger INFJs are just barely aware of their functions and have not learned to use their functions to benefit them, while older infjs tend to be working toward improving and balancing out their functions while being aware of their weaker aspects. Everybody else falls in between these two extremes.

It says in your profile that you are an INFJ so what do you think about it?

Concerning your comments an INFJ can be quiet and sociable at different times

So it does ;)
I have learned these last cuple of days that I might even be an INFJ with a quit developed Ti, since I've spent most of my childhood together with T's and science. My whole question and the reson of bringing this topic up probably is a result of that Ti after all - but I am an INFJ. I have always been different to my INTJ and ENTP friends.

I don't really know. Since I have a more developed Ti, I find it somewhat difficult to recognise the Ni in me, and the Ti in me sometimes, and there for find it difficult finding what to expect when meeting other INFJ's (that might not have an equal developed Ti). What I mean is - isn't it the top two dichotomies that defines MBTI types? NiFe for INFJ's. So I would guess that every INFJ must have introverted intuition and extroverted feeling, that will bring them to make decisions based on how other might be affected by it, and spend most of their time in their own head seing patterns in everything. But witch pattern they will seek is all up to what they enjoy and differs from person to person, and so does the conclusions in decision making about how others might get hurt or get benefit from it (an EVIL or a GOOD INFJ, you might say).

Right... I might just have ansered my own question. Thank you, Muir! You broght me to insight on my own knowledge.

Of course INFJ can be quite and sociable at different times. I may have been too fast in my thoughts.

So it does ;)
I have learned these last cuple of days that I might even be an INFJ with a quit developed Ti, since I've spent most of my childhood together with T's and science. My whole question and the reson of bringing this topic up probably is a result of that Ti after all - but I am an INFJ. I have always been different to my INTJ and ENTP friends.

I don't really know. Since I have a more developed Ti, I find it somewhat difficult to recognise the Ni in me, and the Ti in me sometimes, and there for find it difficult finding what to expect when meeting other INFJ's (that might not have an equal developed Ti). What I mean is - isn't it the top two dichotomies that defines MBTI types? NiFe for INFJ's. So I would guess that every INFJ must have introverted intuition and extroverted feeling, that will bring them to make decisions based on how other might be affected by it, and spend most of their time in their own head seing patterns in everything. But witch pattern they will seek is all up to what they enjoy and differs from person to person, and so does the conclusions in decision making about how others might get hurt or get benefit from it (an EVIL or a GOOD INFJ, you might say).

Right... I might just have ansered my own question. Thank you, Muir! You broght me to insight on my own knowledge.

Of course INFJ can be quite and sociable at different times. I may have been too fast in my thoughts.

One observation i've had in my time here is that i have seen MANY times people coming to the forum with the letters 'INFJ' in their profile and yet their posts do not have an INFJ vibe at all

Sure enough after some time they change their profile to their true type

Then there are some who start 'type me' threads where they say 'i think i am an INFJ'

For me there is no mistaking being an INFJ. There is no 'maybe i am an INFJ'

INFJ's are 1% of the population....we know what we are because it is extremely apparent to us growing up in a world where everyone else is different

But the INFJ type has a certain mystique to it and it is also an attractive refuge for some people of other types who want to put a positive spin on their own unconventional behaviours for example they might be an 'EMO' and decide that a nice identity for them would be the INFJ type so they say they are INFJ, just because they like the idea of it

In short what I'm trying to say is that a lot of people who say they are an INFJ online are in fact not an INFJ; it's usually pretty obvious

So if you are going to pursue this study into whether or not there can be different flavours of INFJ's i would just first caution you that many people you are looking at online might in fact not be INFJ's

Just something to bare in mind if you want accuracy in your results

One observation i've had in my time here is that i have seen MANY times people coming to the forum with the letters 'INFJ' in their profile and yet their posts do not have an INFJ vibe at all

Sure enough after some time they change their profile to their true type

Then there are some who start 'type me' threads where they say 'i think i am an INFJ'

For me there is no mistaking being an INFJ. There is no 'maybe i am an INFJ'

INFJ's are 1% of the population....we know what we are because it is extremely apparent to us growing up in a world where everyone else is different

But the INFJ type has a certain mystique to it and it is also an attractive refuge for some people of other types who want to put a positive spin on their own unconventional behaviours for example they might be an 'EMO' and decide that a nice identity for them would be the INFJ type so they say they are INFJ, just because they like the idea of it

In short what I'm trying to say is that a lot of people who say they are an INFJ online are in fact not an INFJ; it's usually pretty obvious

So if you are going to pursue this study into whether or not there can be different flavours of INFJ's i would just first caution you that many people you are looking at online might in fact not be INFJ's

Just something to bare in mind if you want accuracy in your results

Right! I'm to naiv, thinking that people are trustworthy and introspective so that they know they got the right answere on the tests.

I myself have taken the test over and over again, and almost always ended up as an INFJ (about 90 % of the cases), and when I read about the personlity I feel no doubt in that there are just to much correlation with what I feel is "me". But there are some things on everyother page I don't find so match up, and there are also some traits that differens pages on the internet aren't coheirent about. And it makes me wonder...

And as I've said earlier: I'm an INFJ with an developed Ti, with a love for science. But when my friends don't get my "creative and mystical" thoughts... it is just to obvious that I've never fully fit in in the "scientific world". Taking others aspect in mind is just to "unscientific", and my love for spiritual aspects of life is as big as that of the scientific. But anyways, lets focus on the subject! :)

(Sometimes I wonder if the percentage of INFJ's are higher in Sweden)

Right! I'm to naiv, thinking that people are trustworthy and introspective so that they know they got the right answere on the tests.

No often they will say that they have gotten multiple different types in their tests

Also some people actually bend reality in their mind to be the way they want it to be rather than how it actually is; this has been shown in scientific tests

I myself have taken the test over and over again, and almost always ended up as an INFJ (about 90 % of the cases), and when I read about the personlity I feel no doubt in that there are just to much correlation with what I feel is "me". But there are some things on everyother page I don't find so match up, and there are also some traits that differens pages on the internet aren't coheirent about. And it makes me wonder...

And as I've said earlier: I'm an INFJ with an developed Ti, with a love for science. But when my friends don't get my "creative and mystical" thoughts... it is just to obvious that I've never fully fit in in the "scientific world". Taking others aspect in mind is just to "unscientific", and my love for spiritual aspects of life is as big as that of the scientific. But anyways, lets focus on the subject! :)

(Sometimes I wonder if the percentage of INFJ's are higher in Sweden)

Another observation for you i have made over years of watching people come and go online....

regularly there are people who come to the forum who have malevolent intent towards INFJ's...they come as wolf in sheeps clothing

Now don't get defencive....i'm not saying you are one of these people....i'm trying to help you with your study!

But these people will come with an 'INFJ' label in their profile and they will make a few fairly innocuous posts and then suddenly 'boom' they make a post that undermines the INFJ type...often by totally missrepresnting the type and at that moment they have blown their cover and with a little pushing it becomes clear what their game is

So these 'INFJ haters' as i call them do this very interesting thing. They totally contradict each other! It's hilarious....

So sometimes they say that INFJ's don't actually exist at all (or that MBTI is bunkum) or they go in the totally other direction and say that INFJ's are in fact really common and pretty much every man and his dog is an INFJ

lol

So they try to deny entirely or they go in the other direction and try and water down the INFJ type

I see it again and again and again and INFJ's are used to dealing with that kind of bullshit...they deal with it their whole life

As i said...scientific tests have shown that people will actually distort their perception of reality to fit what they want it to be rather than what it actually is

This can be highly disturbing when you see a person do this

I have seen INTJ's do this in real life and its scary; they can give you an account of something that happened that does not match what happened at all!

So anyway in the following video it looks at the role of psychology in world history and the whole video is worth watching imo but for the specific experiment showing people bending their perceptions of reality skip forward to about 9 minutes 46 seconds

[video=youtube;p8ERfxWouXs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ERfxWouXs[/video]

OT

Miur, I cannot help but read a little sceptism about if even I are an INFJ in what you wright. If so, I don't blame you, and I will not hide that even the slightest of critic will make me start my own "inner scan" of what's true or not. "Am I REALLY an INFJ?!" As you mentioned, being an INFJ are obvious, since you've always felt like your different to everybody else. I cannot say that this has been the case for me... but then again, that depends on what you mean about it. I have always, ALWAYS been different to every "normal" man or women, and that difference is due to my deep searching for truth, for understanding, and so forth - the big introspectiv intuition, as I've learned to call it 6 months ago. Then theres this great hearth for others... I cannot say that even this has been that obvious for myselt, as I've always identified myself as an thinker. So my first thought before taking the test long ago was that "i ought to be a thinker", but then tests showed that I'm in fact a feeler. What does this mean? Well, what I've thought was "thinking", has always been my intuition (of course it's just a choice of words, but lets stick to the MBTI's way of conceptualization). So why "feeling"? That's because I've always first ask what others want, what others might benefit from my choices, and every decision I've made in life has always had that part of going trough the possibilities of "what would happen if this person moved there, or if I stayed and merried that girl" and so on. Never has it been the logical choice at first glance. There HAVE been a logical questioning of my feelings and choices though, going trough my intentions and others will, trying to put every other aspects away and see it from "the right angle", but this tends to bring me to an unhealthy state of mind. I get to cought up in details, in "the one choice" and loose my sight of life: being it living in harmonie with myself and everyone else.
And so last the sensing... I cannot doubt that I'm bad at taking in the invironment with my senses due to my ability to use my intuition, it's something that goes "hand in hand".

So am I an INFJ after all? Well, I cannot say that it has been so obvious to me, but when I started thinking about it I cannot see any other possibility. Does the fact that I used logic to figure out the "only possibility" make it less true that i should be an INFJ? I cannot tell. That would probably make me an INTJ, perhaps, but that I doubt even more then being an INFJ, since I have a lot of INFJ friends, and they are quite different to me in interaction with the world outside of their heads.

Oh, I nearly forgot I and J. Never in my mind that I would be extroverted, nope (my world of intuition is in my head, my own little private world), and J is a product of the fact that when given a new task I cannot find rest untill it's finished... and then I "go back" to my normal state of mind, in peace and quite, unstressful life (wich really rather is a P, but that's exactly what an INFJ is deep down: introverted percieving, extroverted judging.

So, this could be considered as my "defence" against any doubt that I would be an INFJ - others or my own - but still there is always a little doubt in my heart, as always, as it probably should be, I guess. But it isn't obvious... unfortunately.

I'm not giving this long speach to make anyone feel bad, so if that's the case, I apologise. Not that I now can see how anyone could take it as offensive, but my experience tells me that you can never forsee how others interpreters comments on the internet. My heart is kind, and my intention is to make it clear that i do believe that I'm truely an INFJ, but also that I'm still questioning that statement. That's just part of being me... INFJ or not.

Now don't get defencive....i'm not saying you are one of these people....i'm trying to help you with your study!
hehe, to late :)
But I'm not hurt, just catious :)

I appreciate your help.

OT

Miur, I cannot help but read a little sceptism about if even I are an INFJ in what you wright. If so, I don't blame you, and I will not hide that even the slightest of critic will make me start my own "inner scan" of what's true or not. "Am I REALLY an INFJ?!" As you mentioned, being an INFJ are obvious, since you've always felt like your different to everybody else. I cannot say that this has been the case for me... but then again, that depends on what you mean about it. I have always, ALWAYS been different to every "normal" man or women, and that difference is due to my deep searching for truth, for understanding, and so forth - the big introspectiv intuition, as I've learned to call it 6 months ago. Then theres this great hearth for others... I cannot say that even this has been that obvious for myselt, as I've always identified myself as an thinker. So my first thought before taking the test long ago was that "i ought to be a thinker", but then tests showed that I'm in fact a feeler. What does this mean? Well, what I've thought was "thinking", has always been my intuition (of course it's just a choice of words, but lets stick to the MBTI's way of conceptualization). So why "feeling"? That's because I've always first ask what others want, what others might benefit from my choices, and every decision I've made in life has always had that part of going trough the possibilities of "what would happen if this person moved there, or if I stayed and merried that girl" and so on. Never has it been the logical choice at first glance. There HAVE been a logical questioning of my feelings and choices though, going trough my intentions and others will, trying to put every other aspects away and see it from "the right angle", but this tends to bring me to an unhealthy state of mind. I get to cought up in details, in "the one choice" and loose my sight of life: being it living in harmonie with myself and everyone else.
And so last the sensing... I cannot doubt that I'm bad at taking in the invironment with my senses due to my ability to use my intuition, it's something that goes "hand in hand".

So am I an INFJ after all? Well, I cannot say that it has been so obvious to me, but when I started thinking about it I cannot see any other possibility. Does the fact that I used logic to figure out the "only possibility" make it less true that i should be an INFJ? I cannot tell. That would probably make me an INTJ, perhaps, but that I doubt even more then being an INFJ, since I have a lot of INFJ friends, and they are quite different to me in interaction with the world outside of their heads.

Oh, I nearly forgot I and J. Never in my mind that I would be extroverted, nope (my world of intuition is in my head, my own little private world), and J is a product of the fact that when given a new task I cannot find rest untill it's finished... and then I "go back" to my normal state of mind, in peace and quite, unstressful life (wich really rather is a P, but that's exactly what an INFJ is deep down: introverted percieving, extroverted judging.

So, this could be considered as my "defence" against any doubt that I would be an INFJ - others or my own - but still there is always a little doubt in my heart, as always, as it probably should be, I guess. But it isn't obvious... unfortunately.

I'm not giving this long speach to make anyone feel bad, so if that's the case, I apologise. Not that I now can see how anyone could take it as offensive, but my experience tells me that you can never forsee how others interpreters comments on the internet. My heart is kind, and my intention is to make it clear that i do believe that I'm truely an INFJ, but also that I'm still questioning that statement. That's just part of being me... INFJ or not.

I try to stick to my policy of not saying what type i think other people are so they can figure it out for themselves but i often have to bite my lip

(ignoring that first bit of your sentense) ...and what would you say that my type would be? :)

[MENTION=13285]Oscillation[/MENTION]

Never mind that this is on a Socionics website (as most portray the INFJ as a negative entity).
This is a great explanation of Jung’s thoughts on INFJs and Individuation (synonymous with growth or development) and expanded on by W. Harold Grant who worked with Briggs-Myers.

This makes the most sense to me, and explains why there can be large differences in one INFJ to another.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/234-Individuation-and-Differentiation-of-Functions