Define "being in love" . . . | INFJ Forum

Define "being in love" . . .

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
This term is used so often, maybe not by us, or maybe it is to describe how someone feels when they love someone almost exclusively.

But it has so many varied connotations and implications, that i'm curious about how each person defines this idea for themselves.

How do you define "being in love" if it's an idea you believe is real?

Do you think your sense of it is the same, somewhat the same, or very different from the stereotypical emotions or feelings associated with it?

If you could, would you use a different phrase or word to describe the feeling or would you keep it?

**smoke rises from the circuitry that is kiu's mind**
**there is a whir, a sputter, a cough, then deafening silence**

This is one of the hardest questions out there. Firstly, the question asks what is "being in love?" as opposed to "what is love?" so, I will not attempt to answer the latter. Firstly, "being in love" is the result of biochemical activity in the brain which literally messes with your perception causing the entire world to sound like a symphony and look like a painting by the Dutch Masters. You will be so happy that others around you will think you're insane and they would be right because during this period you are prone to making stupid decisions in the name of love. There is a strong desire to never be parted from your loved one and a curious desire to put their needs above your own. This is usually accompanied by feelings of lust but goes beyond. Eventually, the sensation of being in love will be replaced by the act of loving if you are lucky. This is a good thing because your attachment is now formed but rationality has now hopefully returned and your families and friends no longer have to worry that you'll run off and marry some worthless sod. LOL. That's just my point of view.

I would call it a positive obsession with the essence of a person, if I had to define it to someone that could never feel it. It's an emotional investment of the upmost priority, with a feeling that one's self is partly, if not mostly, wound up in another person. But it's not quite an obsession either. It's highly emotional.

I don't think it's that different for me more than it is for others. But I do think that I am much more resistant to it when I suspect it is only infatuation (i.e. impulse driven; sensual). And I also think that people tend to emphasize the infatuation part in movies, books, etc., if infatuation is a part of it at all.

"My body's saying let's go. But my heart is saying no." THAT isn't what I mean by love. That's infatuation.

Also, I don't think that defining love is necessarily hard. I just think that it makes the significance of it magically disappear in a puff of words.

Just wanting someones company at all times, and thinking about them (in a positive way) more often than usual.

I can define Love and I have an entire thread dedicated to that, but I don't see Love as a feeling.

You are asking about a particular feeling, and I'm essentially going to have to repeat what Norton said.

I see a distinction between concepts and experiences.

A concept can be observed (objectified) and analysed impersonally. This is what I can do to Love. The concept has boundaries, clearly distinguishing what is X and what is not X.

It is possible to attempt the same with a feeling, but for me, it can only be done at the expense of experiencing it. An experience is subjective, because one is the subject and one is subjected to it. The minute it becomes objectified, there is a detachment from the experience and it is no longer being experienced. Rather, it is being observed.

Now, if by defining the experience, you mean that I ought to find patterns in the manner in which it is expressed I believe that I am capable of attempting, but I can find no good reason to want to.

If I am meant to analyse the biological functions associated with this experience, again, I am reducing the experience, not only to the objectified, but also to the empirically observable aspect of our experience - an unwarranted assumption, which coincidentally devalues the entire experience.

I could try, but I would reap nothing from it.

Agapooka

Reactions: Will
This goes for me:

Being In Love ={ {[(Taking)(-1)]+[sudden inspiration+trust+giving without a care]}/[(Laughs)(happy sighs)] } (c)

Over and over again.

and it makes me Think.....

Do you think your sense of it is the same, somewhat the same, or very different from the stereotypical emotions or feelings associated with it?

Somewhat the same, because perspectives vary--as far as the words said to describe it--well those aren't unique to anyone--what is is the reasoning for them.

If you could, would you use a different phrase or word to describe the feeling or would you keep it?

I'd keep it--I love it!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Will and KazeCraven
For me, it's sort of like being drunk, when you first start to feel it. But it's a lighter feeling than that.

I've never been in love though, just heard about what it was like..

For me, it's sort of like being drunk, when you first start to feel it. But it's a lighter feeling than that.

I've never been in love though, just heard about what it was like..

?

Have you ever been drunk?

I think that this thread is looking for personal insight, not repeats of what others have said...

I think that this thread is looking for insight, not repeats of what others have said...

Yes, you should have shares your insight....

My insight is that it is undesirable to establish clear boundaries on experiences.

I loosely defined "being in love" as an experience.

Agapooka

What kind of avatar is that?

Far from the first to use the analogy, not an original this time.

It's beautiful!!!!!

What kind of username is that?!

My insight is that it is undesirable to establish clear boundaries on experiences.

I loosely defined "being in love" as an experience.

Agapooka

No your insight is:

"I choose to reply, that I don't want to reply."

Apologies for derailing this thread I will stop NOW

@Agapooka .....my love, </3? =( SORRIYO.

I will add to my answer to this thread now...