• Total voters

Thinkist

Regular Poster
Jun 5, 2012
MBTI
ISTP
Enneagram
5 or 9...
It always seems like INFJs don't prefer to date an ST (realist) type, mostly preferring other NFs (usually other INFJs), next to NTs, then SFs. But if you had to date one which one would it be? NB this could also apply to relationship matters beyond dating.

None. STP people can be fun to hang out with. But I wouldn't date one. I had a fling once with an ESFP no thank you not again.lol

STs are apparently the devil.

Not an INFJ but I would pick ESTP. Good lord an ESJ or an ISJ would probably be waaayyy too uptight for me. I would have to pick the extrovert that was little more "less regimented".

Last edited:
I am a INFJ who has been head over heals in love with a ESTP for the past 20 yrs. We dated a few times in high school but both of us had issues with speaking our true feelings. He thought I was too good for him and I thought that a true "relationship" wouldn't be possible with ANYONE, thank you Mom, because I had a child. Now we've been together for nearly 6 yrs. Our relationship has it's ups and downs, but he understands my "quirks" and I understand his. For the most part we meet in the middle and have learned to complement each others strengths and accept each others weaknesses.

I can say this, I will NEVER have a relationship with an Introvert again, been there done that, learned my lesson all too well!!

If I had to choose I'd go for an ESTP or an ISTJ.

The ESTPs I know are very animated and spontaneous, as well as relaxed. This strikes me as a useful counterpoint to my reserved and neurotic tendencies. An ESTP would probably help me get out of my own head more often lol.

As for ISTJs, I respect their reliability and integrity. An ISTJ would be easy for me to trust.

That said, I really don't tend to be attracted to STs. I dated an ISTP once; we were grossly incompatible.

My wife is an infj. I'm an istp. Been married for twelve years. She's a lot of fun. Life with her is still nice and hot.

I've been married to an adorable ESTP almost 20 years.

He keeps me grounded and in-the-moment, and I calm his ass down.

I tried NF relationships way back, it was too hot/cold for me, my own intensity is enough. :)

While MBTI is a nice tool for understanding others, at the end of the day, it's still important to look to look to date people, not types.

Reasons:

1. Not all [insert Type] are alike. It would be silly to assume that just because it didn't work out with one, it won't work out with another. MBTI is a system that examines the correlation of cognitive process with personality, but it does not provide a guide to its variable expression of said processes.

2. You're probably not as proficient at typing others (or yourself) as you think.

3. Going into anything with biases and expectations can set you up for a whole lot of misinterpretation and disappointment.

That being said, I'd totally give dating an ST a try. :)

Reactions: Trifoilum
So many results for ISTJ... hey ladies Im right here!

ESTP, ISTJ, ESTJ (under specific, SPECIFIC circumstances), ISTP. In that order.

*winks at [MENTION=731]uberrogo[/MENTION]*

*RUNS*

*ahem*

ESTP...well, they have enchanted me more than once, if we're speaking about type. I don't know what will happen if I finally go out with one, but at this stage...slurpeh slurpeh. Their open outlook of life can be eye-opening for me. And their laissez-faire attitude has a certain charm I found irresistible.
ISTJ. I'd say they would ideally be less vocal and expressive and insistent in their propriety and rigidity. But the stability is a nice thing. Somewhat.
ESTJ. Must have the same outlook on life, preferably same beliefs, and MOST preferably, same directions in life. Otherwise, it will be imbalanced; with me being on the sucker position.
ISTP. .......if they are going to be boring / all bland tea except one part of their life in which it's all CONCENTRATED FANBOYISM AND EFFORT AND ENTHUSIASM... no. Just no.

[MENTION=5579]Thinkist[/MENTION]

No thank you xD

I was with an ESTP for 5 years. I like all the STs. People are people

I have several good friends that are ESTJ, 3 that are ISTP, 2 that are ISTJ, and 2 that are ESTP.

In socionic (please note that socionics views specific cognitve functions and their respective order differently) ESTJ is the dual to INFJ, and ISTP is activity relations. Both of which are very favourable.

I really cant see why it would matter as long as there was sufficient attraction and willingness to understand and communicate.

I could never do it, but I think it's different for everyone. One of my friends is ISTJ and he's super observant. He's super logical and he watches me like I'm a science experiment, adding up my actions and physical appearance to reach conclusions about me. He's so detailed oriented it's scary. And he's not afraid to be up front and direct. Unfortunately it hurts my feelings a lot. I feel like STs are good friends to have because they're interesting to talk to because they come to their conclusions and see the world so differently. I probably wouldn't date one though because people with strong T don't realize how often they hurt my feelings.

I dated an istj for a bit, she was really cool.

And what about STJs? SJs in general?

Why not? STs don't bite :)

NO SJ's just isn't going to happen. Thanks to my ESFJ/ESTJ mother that isn't happening.

I could never do it, but I think it's different for everyone. One of my friends is ISTJ and he's super observant. He's super logical and he watches me like I'm a science experiment, adding up my actions and physical appearance to reach conclusions about me. He's so detailed oriented it's scary. And he's not afraid to be up front and direct. Unfortunately it hurts my feelings a lot. I feel like STs are good friends to have because they're interesting to talk to because they come to their conclusions and see the world so differently. I probably wouldn't date one though because people with strong T don't realize how often they hurt my feelings.
Good observations. Solid conclusion.