Cute. | INFJ Forum

Cute.

Haunted Moon

Dec 3, 2009
MBTI
INTP
What is it about a thing which qualifies to be worthy of the term 'cute'? In general, is it not commonplace for one to attempt to 'take care of' or maintain this object of 'cuteness'?

I assume there is some correlation with altruism associated with the nature of cute or vulnerability which would make the person or object of interest a resources to be manipulated whilst obtaining protection from those that make use of whatever ability they have.

In general... what are your thoughts about 'cute' and its effect upon those who observe it?

What is it about a thing which qualifies to be worthy of the term 'cute'? In general... what are your thoughts about 'cute' and its effect upon those who observe it?

Cute (ky
oomacr.gif
t) adj.: Description of an action that appeals to a potential sexual partner but will definitely NOT result in said sexual partner wanting to sleep with you. Damn.

Cute (ky
oomacr.gif
t) adj.: Description of an action that appeals to a potential sexual partner but will definitely NOT result in said sexual partner wanting to sleep with you. Damn.

Must it be an action? An object cannot act, yet it can still be considered cute. It is a vague term and I hope to categorize it with input in this thread to further my understanding of the concept.

Cheap attempt at a joke. I'll bow out of this thread posthaste. Apologies.

Cute (kyt) adj.: Description of an action that appeals to a potential sexual partner but will definitely NOT result in said sexual partner wanting to sleep with you. Damn.

Internally, this is sort of the definition I use but not really. Someone who I say is "cute" is often good looking, and I could maybe be with them, but I am not overwhelmed by them. Now, if I say someone is hot, then I definitely want to be with them.

The problem is, when I actually like someone (regardless of if I think they are somewhat cute, cute, hot, or insanely hot), I default and say I think their cute. The reason is is that I am emberessed to say that I think their hot even if I think so. It is partly because it is a loaded statement, has a lot of weight, and if the person does not equally feel the same about me, then it will put them in an awkard spot if they can not reciprocate those feelings. It is a lie and unfair yes, but the thing is, over time, I will eventually say I think the person is hot once I get to know them and I figure out what they think of me.

This really shows me that I am way to over-accomidating in relationship matters, bah.

I can understand a diminuative creature or a similarly humanized object (like a car) being cute....but a clothing ensemble? When my my female coworkers buddies show up on Monday and start going on about how this is cute and that is cute I am completely befuddled!!!

Cute is incredibly relative and it can bring up several different types of emotions, depending on the situation. Some people think certain babies (including baby animals) are cute but there are no sexual feelings towards them, but they are not attempting to manipulate any situations; they just are. When you're asking about the nature of "cuteness" you may need to define the parameters of the question. Do you mean in a sexual way, a paternal/maternal way, as an action, or...?

Are we talking cute as in
2007_01_panda2.jpg

or cute as in
roberthoffmanstepup2.jpg

?

The first is there because it seems helpless, and therefore elicits a motherly protection responce.

The second I define as being incredibly attractive, but not because they are "hot" Hot refers to the stereotypical muscly attractiveness.
post-hot-guy.jpg

Cute more refers to the baby face, or attractive features that are not directly affected byt how much the person works out.

Ummm. Cute is, I suppose, anything that lights me up inside with a childlike sense of wonder. from the perspective of supposedly being a grown up, this makes me feel somewhat protective over the object of cuteness. It depends what it is. I might find a tiny cactus cute for example, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to protect it from the mean ol' big cactii. Interesting question, though. What do you think?

Cute is incredibly relative and it can bring up several different types of emotions, depending on the situation. Some people think certain babies (including baby animals) are cute but there are no sexual feelings towards them, but they are not attempting to manipulate any situations; they just are. When you're asking about the nature of "cuteness" you may need to define the parameters of the question. Do you mean in a sexual way, a paternal/maternal way, as an action, or...?

Do the emotions change or the stimulus which results in it? Do the emotions simply differ in potency? Do these emotions result in a desire for maintenance? What would cause one to associate sexual desire with the term 'cute'? Why would they not do this?

As for the post after arbygil's, I would prefer to discuss the first choice, though conversation about either is not a problem. :)

Reactions: Stu
Ummm. Cute is, I suppose, anything that lights me up inside with a childlike sense of wonder. from the perspective of supposedly being a grown up, this makes me feel somewhat protective over the object of cuteness. It depends what it is. I might find a tiny cactus cute for example, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to protect it from the mean ol' big cactii. Interesting question, though. What do you think?

Yes! Something like this.

And then there's Spider-Squirrel, which I happen to think is rather cute in a weird way...

Attachments

• w1kspidersquirrel.jpg
    w1kspidersquirrel.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Do the emotions change or the stimulus which results in it? Do the emotions simply differ in potency? Do these emotions result in a desire for maintenance? What would cause one to associate sexual desire with the term 'cute'? Why would they not do this?

I would think the emotions and stimuli are the same - but perhaps this is because I'm a Feeler and they do happen at the same time for me. "Desire for maintenance?" Not sure what you mean there. As far as associating sexual desire with cute, then yes - different emotions are at play. Or rather, different hormones. I think the emotions (or feelings) that are evoked are far more different...yet, I think we humans are more than a bundle of hormonal responses.

Sexually speaking, I'd say cute is someone who is far too young for me, but still evokes some sort of "he's got IT" going on. Zac Effron, for example, could be considered "cute" (not that I think he's cute, but he could be). Cute, IMO, is a "young" word I'd use for someone age 23 and under. Otherwise, I'd use "handsome" or "nice-looking".

Cuteness seems to have something unintentional or innocent about it.

Animals and inanimate objects which are beautiful are cute.

People who are attractive/beautiful, but are not aware of it are cute.

Cuteness seems to have something unintentional or innocent about it.

Animals and inanimate objects which are beautiful are cute.

People who are attractive/beautiful, but are not aware of it are cute.

^^Agreed! But I could go on and on about cute. :D

(and NV, I would completely go for the cute guy you posted before the hott guy.. not that I'm even in the running, but I'm just saying... :D )

I would like to quickly add that I personally find "cute" guys much more attractive than "hot" guys.