Considering Others' Feelings, or: This thread might make me look like an asshole, but I'm willing to | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Considering Others' Feelings, or: This thread might make me look like an asshole, but I'm willing to

Si:

While driving on a long trip (in the U.S.), note all the out-of-state license plates you see. Stay focused. Carefully check every car as it goes by. Notice everything you can about each state's plates: state mottos, colors, placement of text, pictures, any other special differences.

Yup that is me. Now hate all the drivers of the cars with an Illinois license plate.

Last edited:
Cool document. Amount of effort pretty much seems to correlate with function order. Don't ask me to locate cotton or fill out captions! ;)

Fi seeks to clarify feelings in much the same way that Ti seeks to clarify thoughts. However, Fi can't use empathy in the same way that Ti uses logic. Fi also doesn't have external "scripts" to follow like Fe does. Fi does have a unique tool at its disposal though. Humans often mirror the emotions that they see in others without even realizing it. An Fi user is usually keenly aware of how one person's mood is affecting their mood. The Fi user can determine how they would feel in a similar situation and then compare it to what they are seeing in another person and see what the discrepancy is. That gives them an important piece of information because they can determine for themselves what the "appropriate" primary emotion is and the secondary emotion that the other individual is feeling. While that won't tell them what the need of an individual is, it will tell them the pattern by which a person deals with their emotions. Understanding that pattern is important because that tells an Fi user what a person's motivations are.

Understanding the motivator is often more important than understanding the need because we all have the same basic needs but the ways we motivate ourselves can differ considerably. Unfortunately, this clarity of feelings seems to be as frustrating to an Fi user as the clarity of reason can be for a Ti user. I've watched some Fi users in social work struggle desperately to get people to substitute negative motivators like anxiety and apathy for positive ones like self affirmation, self appreciation, and self encouragement. The results are usually about as dismal as when I try to get a fundamentalist Christian to reasonably consider their interpretation of the Bible.

So far, I think this is the best description of Fi as it applies to understanding people. With that being said, I'm not particularly drawn to it. I need to think about it so more.

Just a random question: how many of you who have posted have considered the fact/issue that you might have mistaken Ni for Fi. To a extent, I even think my experiences with Fi might have just been Ni with a little dash of Fi.

Me personally: I kind of coorelate with the description in the first post. In order of preference I ask: "This is supposed to mean this, but it really means" (Ni). "Is this efficient" (Te). "How does this make me feel. How am I supposed to/intended to feel. When Fi is applied to others, although this is a extremely quick process, I do kind of ask myself the question presented in the example: "S/he is feeling this because s/he is needing that"

Ni gives me a vibe, Te tells me things about the individual based on nonverbal, verbal, and paraverbal language, and Fi gives me a sort of checks and balance. Fi allows me to resonate with a individuals core if I need to, while also placing myself in that indiviuals shoes to see how I would be feeling which, again, feeds my Ni.

Se:

While driving on a long trip (in the U.S.), note all the out-of-state license plates you see. Stay focused. Carefully check every car as it goes by. Notice everything you can about each state's plates: state mottos, colors, placement of text, pictures, any other special differences.

Yup that is me. Now hate all the drivers of the cars with an Illinois license plate.

(That's Si, not Se.)

I didn't realize how much time I spend inside my own head interpreting things until I just tried to watch a short film using nothing but Se. Craziness. I suddenly noticed all sorts of lovely crap I'd never seen before, and this was a film I've already seen about a dozen times.

WITH THE POWER OF FUNCTION PLAY, I WILL NEVER BE BORED AGAIN!

:meye:

*rips shirt*

Last edited:
Se:

(That's Si, not Se.)

And as an ISTJ you're Si dominant. Not Se.

Interesting thread. *stalks*