Competition and the INFJ | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Competition and the INFJ

I like to compete with myself but not with the others. I still love to win, though hehe But I must say that the overall performance is more important to me, so if I'd win too easily I'm not sure I'd feel as good about myself. I don't like competing for the sake of competing, I don't understand it, so in general I wouldn't consider myself a competitive person. Any time I had to compete in something I took it as just another day, as a routine or simply a pleasure to do what I'm doing.

Reactions: Siimplicity
I don't like to keep score when playing games because I just want the fun of the experience. However... secretly I want to win. I loathe shit talkers, because how stupid do you feel when you've talked such a big game and then couldn't bring home the gold, right?? I love when someone is modest and then they kill it out of nowhere!

... I believe this is called hustling... ;D

Reactions: Siimplicity
I don't like to keep score when playing games because I just want the fun of the experience. However... secretly I want to win. I loathe shit talkers, because how stupid do you feel when you've talked such a big game and then couldn't bring home the gold, right?? I love when someone is modest and then they kill it out of nowhere!

... I believe this is called hustling... ;D

I am very competitive and love shit-talking! :D

However... secretly, I love shit-talking because of how good the other person feels when they beat me. :)

Reactions: grt$5vb
I am not competitive at all, in any way. Buuuuuuut is that really true deep down?

I don't know.

I remember cheering for my rivals as back as when I was in elementary school. But, that was to fvck with their heads. Lol, seriously. Wow, was I a rotten kid? I always thought I was so sweet.
I remember at the Melbourne Cup horse race cheering very loudly for all the horses to "Run, Run, Run"...

Reactions: Asa
You shouldn't have to reconcile your competitive nature with also being an INFJ. INFJ's are just as capable of being competitive as any other MBTI type. If anything INFJ's make some of the most fierce competitors out there, especially in combat sports. Here's why:

I: Our thoughts are focused inward which is a trait that many world level athletes have. People like Michael Phelps for example don't compare themselves to others, they compare themselves to themselves. Introverts usually wake up in the morning and say "what can I do to improve myself". This is a competitive trait.

N: Setting goals, seeing paths and possible outcomes. iNtuitives are very good at setting goals and working to achieve those goals. They can see the end result clearly before it has actualized itself, so it's very easy for them to gradually turn their goals into reality. Another competitive trait.

F: This is the most competitive trait in MBTI. Boxers, wrestlers, kick boxers, football players, etc. are usually extremely emotional people. Extroverted feelers have the ability to extract emotions from the people who surround them, they extract even more emotions from the people they love. For example, an extroverted feeler can become a very competitive person because he/she wants to make his loved ones proud or wants to make them happy by giving them a better life. This is a very competitive trait.

J: Organizing thoughts. Getting up in the morning and making a list of goals is a total J activity. People who organize their thoughts are very likely to be strong competitors.

I have INFJ tendencies and I am also super competitive.

interesting analysis --
I consider myself as non-competitive as they come, yet I do all of these things. I suppose I find the dignity in orderly process essential, but I also impose these ideals on others. --like I want us all to be at our best, like we all should be doing our best, but at the same time, no one is bested. all improve and move forward together.

of course, folks mostly ignore my imposition anyhow lol =)

I'm competitive.. with myself...

I can be but depends on who's playing and if I'm in the mood....

I
I've read that INFJ types are not competitive and dislike working or learning in those kinds of environments. I identify strongly with most of the iNFJ traits except for the competition part. I am fiercely competitive in areas which I consider important (i.e. academics). The strength of my desire to rise to the top is so overpowering, I instantly despise any potential rivals that I first encounter in a situation. The problem is I am also deeply ashamed of this volcanic energy within me. 'Competitive' seems almost like a dirty word to me, like it's wrong for me to be sending out such negative vibes into the air.

What do you guys think? How can I reconcile my competitive nature with also being an INFJ. Could I still legitimately call myself an INFJ if I am also so competitive?

Thanks... I feel that same tinge of shame even as I write this post!
I believe being competitive to a degree is very healthy as jobs and opportunity come to those who shine above the rest in most circumstances. I am infj myself as much of a pain in the ass it can be. I have only one competitive hobby. Krav maga. (Military hand to hand combat) but it isn't out of spite or the drive to win at all costs moreso because if I Dont do my best I won't progress as much as I want to. I am content in victory bit also in defeat as I believe there is more to be learned from losing as it builds character. I think it is only a flaw when I begins to effect you emotionally... If you are to lose a competition and it creates negative emotions then it is a weakness because as much as we may not likeit we all lose at some stage. Competitiveness creates that drive to push, to muster everything you have. This is a strong and healthy trait I think. But when the pride of winning makes you careless or the jealously of losing makes you unable to learn from defeat it becomes a weakness. I hope this has helped in some way but my idea of a competitive nature is beyond just being arrogant when you win or sulking if you loose. Its up to you to decide which one you are my friend, nobody else really knows but you.