Choosing a therapist

WellNoWonder

Peace Through Action
Dec 10, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
For those of you who have gone through this, what did you look for in the therapist you ended up choosing?

With previous therapists, I never really took time to research as I was feeling desperate, but now I want to do it right so I don't end up regretting my choice.

Thanks ahead.

I always tell people that my (favorite and best) therapist is very neutral. Apparently that's what I value most in him. He's not judgmental and he laughs with me about my shortcomings (my perception) and my foibles (his perceptions) Hah!
I say you need to interview your therapist to be. Throw out some hints of your deepest fears and see their reactions.
Sounds like you had some dissatisfaction with previous ones. Make a mental list of what those are and see if they show up in the ones you're interviewing.
Don't be afraid to shop around for one. Some therapists stick with a few theories and those may not fit with your situation at the moment. Others try to integrate many theories and may be more appropriate for you.
Good luck. I admire anyone willing to seek assistance for their mental health. To me - it's just like going to the auto shop for preventive maintenance or to fix something.

Thank you!!!

I'm going to interview a few then. Did you ask any of them about their use of MBTI?

I did a zip code search and 541 people came up.:m077:

Michigan must be going through it right now. lol

I may do eenie-meenie-miney-moe and start calling randomly...

Thank you!!!

I'm going to interview a few then. Did you ask any of them about their use of MBTI? Not at the time I was seeing the others - I had never heard about MBTI. When I brought it up to the one I'm seeing now, he was not very familiar with the idea. But he was happy for me that I've found a group I can finally feel at home with. :tea:

I did a zip code search and 541 people came up.:m077:

Michigan must be going through it right now. lol

OHHH NOOOO! That's quite a few to go through! Ouch. Maybe you could weed out a lot of them by asking their view on the MBTI.

I may do eenie-meenie-miney-moe and start calling randomly...

Good luck! Take your time. Remember - they work for you.

Someone who listens, understands and is neutral.

Fortunately I found one on the first session I had. My therapist was the one who introduced me to MBTI, her being an INFJ.