China just launched its first aircraft carrier -Is China the World's next Superpower? | INFJ Forum

China just launched its first aircraft carrier -Is China the World's next Superpower?

Patrick Williams

Community Member
Aug 12, 2012
MBTI
IxFJ
Enneagram
2w1
China just launched its first aircraft carrier. Here is the article:

http://news.yahoo.com/china-carrier-show-force-japan-tension-festers-055903076.html

IMO, Aircraft Carriers serve the main purpose of force projection around the world (i.e. Outside of a nations local and legitimate boundaries).

Do you think America will cease to be a (the?) Superpower of the world in the next 100 years and do you think China will ascend to that position?

What do you think a world dominated by the military, economic and ideological influence of China would look like?

It is probable in some years time. That is if China maintains their flourishing economy right now and USA keeps on sinking.

That's a lot to think about because China is very communist.

http://news.yahoo.com/china-carrier-show-force-japan-tension-festers-055903076.html

IMO, Aircraft Carriers serve the main purpose of force projection around the world (i.e. Outside of a nations local and legitimate boundaries).

Do you think America will cease to be a (the?) Superpower of the world in the next 100 years and do you think China will ascend to that position?

Oh, yes, I would say almost certainly China will become the/a superpower. Even just based on population. The times they are a changin! If I had to guess I would say that there will be several superpowers in 100 years and it will be less of a nationalist sort of world.

What do you think a world dominated by the military, economic and ideological influence of China would look like?
I don't know, really, since I have never been to China and could not exactly define the military, economic and ideological influence of China. I do not think it would necessarily be either better or worse than other superpowers throughout history have been. China itself is changing, so if/when it becomes "the" world superpower it will be a different China than it has been in the past. On the whole, I like the concept of a more multinational world and I do not think Chinese culture and people are to be feared, generally speaking, though some of the ideology may not always be the greatest ever, but hey, nobody's perfect right?

Why, what do you think might happen? (Just curious....)

Last edited:
Reactions: Quiet
China's economy is in recession due to the global downturn

An economist Jim Rickarts has written a book called 'the currency wars' about the struggle between the US, China and Europe which is being played out economically rather than with bullets

There is an interview with him at 15:00 mins of this epsiode of the Keiser Report:

http://rt.com/programs/keiser-report/episode-343-max-keiser/

China is not a communist country. It failed to get past the 'dictatorship of the proletariat' stage of revolution mentioned by Marx and therefore failed to acheive a state of communism. The western right wing, corporate media however likes to call it 'communist' because it enables them to demonise that ideology.

That is hypocrisy because the right wing authorities in the USA have been allowing the import of cheap Chinese electrical goods into the US in order to fuel their own consumer culture and to pacify their own populations by providing them with comforts. By buying Chinese goods the US has made the Chinese economy strong.

Instead of creating a more equal and self reliant society within the US, the elite who run the US have maintained massive wealth inequality within the US whilst boosting the economy of China and creating a potential rival on the world stage all so that they can maintain their own personal power at the expense of their wider community

The issue is not really one of competition between nations. The issue is one of elites ruling over the rest. Nations are concepts in the minds of people and the USA is a particularly new one. Geographical borders change through history but what really needs to change is the abstract economic/power borders between people

I dont mind if China becomes a superpower, the US needs to sit the fuck back as it is.

China's like a regular old party balloon hooked up to an air compressor - it might get inflated quickly but...

China's bypassed a large part of its development in order to go straight for global-superpower-hood. It has a black hole at its center that's set to implode at any moment; population, economy, environment, social freedom, etc. None of those things are self-sustaining and the second there's a "hiccup" it's likely to all come crumbling down.

China's like a regular old party balloon hooked up to an air compressor - it might get inflated quickly but...

China's bypassed a large part of its development in order to go straight for global-superpower-hood. It has a black hole at its center that's set to implode at any moment; population, economy, environment, social freedom, etc. None of those things are self-sustaining and the second there's a "hiccup" it's likely to all come crumbling down.

This is true. I spent the summer of 2005 in China, outside of the cities its like another century. At some point all the money being spent is going to have to be start being spent on building better lives for their people, not just building bases and economic centers in the city. Most of the country has no real electricity, roads, or infrastructure. The cost to bring that to the rest of the nation will pretty much halt their growth. Dont get sick in China outside of the cities, its practically a death sentence.

I see it like this: When the U.S. took superpower status away from Britain, Britain created Dr. Who. So if China takes it from us, then we will get to make the next Dr. Who!

Reactions: Quiet

If it's built to the same standards, using the same inferior materials as everything else they manufacture for the global market, it will break in 2 and sink in short order.

Why, what do you think might happen? (Just curious....)

I don't really know, that is why I was curious what others thought and I have appreciated all the responses.

In very broad brush-strokes I do think the following but it is very opaque to see where it will all lead too but here are some thoughts that may, or may not, be right:

Although many factors come into play for a country to be a "Superpower", the two key factors, I think, are economic power and military power (which is really derived from technology today, not massive numbers).

America's military might seems to be pretty stable for the near-term future but I wonder what will happen if America ceases to be an economic power? then what?

Right now, the dollar is the world's reserve currency so that gives America a lot of sway and flexibility with the economy and an independence that other countries may not be able to enjoy (for example, if some other countries just started to print their own money, they would devalue there currency and probably set-off inflation in their economy) but what happens if, and when, the world decides to no longer trust the "good faith" of the US government (since the money is not based on gold but just confidence in America)? China buys allot of our T-Bills (debt) and, from what little I understand, if they were to call in all their notes, we could not pay them back (of course, China has a vested interest in us buying their goods so they do not want to upset that so they continue to buy our debt to keep theirs, and our, economy going.)

If America should cease to be an economic power and our economy no longer attracts the "best and the brigthest" from other countries, then our technological edge may wane too.

I think, and this is pure speculation and I am open to learn on this, but I think, based on the present trajectory of America, that if America does not get its fiscal house in order, America will cease to be THE super power and will descend while others rise and be one of a few world powers - it will be one among its peers. Understand, I am not saying this is good or bad, just commenting on what I think may or will happen in the not-to-distant future.

I think China wants to be a Superpower and is working towards that end.

I think, at some point, there will be parity between America, China and a few other countries. This will not happen over night but I think 50 - 100 years from now, America will just be one of a handful of nations that have equal sway over the world.

Every empire has its day and I think America is at its peak strenght from a military perspective but, from an economic point of view, it seems somewhat weak (but I am not an economist so I cannot really say with certainty) with no real ability to heal itself and that is where I think the downward trend is going to come from (Monetary spiral down).

Ok, that is my thought but I am open to learn on this and have already appreciated the response of others..

Last edited:
This is true. I spent the summer of 2005 in China, outside of the cities its like another century. At some point all the money being spent is going to have to be start being spent on building better lives for their people, not just building bases and economic centers in the city. Most of the country has no real electricity, roads, or infrastructure. The cost to bring that to the rest of the nation will pretty much halt their growth. Dont get sick in China outside of the cities, its practically a death sentence.

Thanks for sharing that, I did not realize that it was that bad.

1) Yeah, if we don't spark global nuclear holocaust first by messing with Iran.

2) This maybe? Sweeeeeet! [video=youtube;o8_VIeAj2Pw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_VIeAj2Pw[/video]

I'm not familiar with China's politics and economics, and I don't know if this makes sense to more informed people, but I've always kind of thought China will struggle as a superpower as long as it continues to struggle with certain human rights issues. China's economic rise is accompanied by what looks like wideswept social change, and I think it needs to take care of its people as it rises otherwise its global position will somehow be thwarted by the unmet needs/wants of its citizenry. This won't be easy as the country has over a millenia of culture and tradition with which to contend, but it's by no means impossible.

Wal Mart is working on a "Great Value" carrier as we speak.

Reactions: muir
They'll have to win a war or two.

783.gif

I don't see China taking over the world. Multinational corporations will continue to have more influence on our society while physical borders will become less important. The laws of business are what govern the world now.

If things go bad and some kind of war breaks out then we are all fucked, China included. But I'm confident people will choose the right path, technology is bringing people together.