Can an INFJ be a bossy dictator? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Can an INFJ be a bossy dictator?

Might sound like a funny question but I was wondering, what are you guys like at directing people to do things? (Particularly a project that is your own vision.) Are you nice and diplomatic with people and like to keep the peace or is it possible for an INFJ to direct by being bossy and taking over?
I've been in leadership positions as teacher, director of a musical, a little conducting, and putting together various programs.

I tend to be organized in the plan and presentation, but have significant issues with any type of social power struggle. I can't improvise socially very well. If I have people who are misbehaved or not particularly committed, I get confused about what to do because I struggle to relate to the mindset. My reaction is more to scratch my head and ask "why are you here?" If I'm not interested in a project, then I'm not part of it as a follower. My strength as a leader is to project enough momentum, idealism, and enthusiasm to help lead others to follow. I also try to inspire people by finding their inner strengths and helping them to see what they are capable of. I can't push people. When placed in a position where I am required to do this, I become sleepy and withdrawn.

I currently teach online and struggle to make hard due dates. Some people present me with reasonable and compelling reasons for not being able to submit their work. Others have suspect reasons, while others offer no reason. What I do is see the possibilities from every conceivable vantage point. Since I cannot be certain of the validity of the reasons, I tend err on the side of leniency. My empathy plays a powerful role as a leader. Empathy can be a powerful resource in a leadership position. It enables me to represent the group, to be able to synthesize their needs and form a cooperative whole.

I had one rambunctious, naughty freshman class of eight students once. I dealt with the discipline problem by getting permission to teach them individually and change the format of the class. This lack of ability to be a disciplinarian is why I never got my K-12 certification. I become lost in those social group dynamics, although I could write at length about what was going on both for the students and for myself, in the real world I am nearly helpless to do anything about it. Overall it is unfortunate for my own survival in the world.

The simple answer is that I lack the ability to be bossy to my own detriment.

Last edited:
I don't think any MBTI can be attributed to Hitler as he was narcissistic. This almost completely overrides any other personality typing.

Obama? who knows.

When in a leadership role, which I often am, I usually just point people in the right direction and see what happens. If things start going different to what I have in mind I just nudge them back on course. I certainly wouldn't consider myself to be bossy. Luckily I work with some very competent and reasonable people, and the leadership role switches from person to person without any difficulty whatsoever. Even the Chairman of our Board will immediately step down if someone else seems to have more knowledge on the current project.

Hitler was E something, but he is definitely not a representative of that type. He was completely insane. Jungian typology can't be used to explain his behavior.
I agree about extroversion. I'm not aware of any evidence supporting introversion. It is somewhat amusing how many celebrities and politicians get labeled as introverts on the online forums. Sure, it can happen, but I seriously doubt it is the norm for public figures. A person whose energy is depleted by social encounters would probably die rather young in such a role in society. Even the little bit of performing I have done wipes me out when I have to spend an hour greeting people afterward. I can only imagine what life is like taken to the far extreme of social intrusions for a public figure. Even extreme extroverts could get pushed to their limits and leave them in need of a quiet afternoon alone.

Back to topic: The concept of external motivation is quite alien to me. The idea that a person needs to be pushed, pressured, to feel fear, to get prizes, etc. all to get motivated is something I can watch and analyze the cause and effect, but has little personal relevance. I primarily understand internal motivation. This combined with a desire for peace and congeniality, is why being bossy is outside my abilities.

It's possible.

As far as I am concerned, I don't want people telling me what to do and I don't want to tell others what to do. If I'm leading a group I tell them what needs to get done and ask how they think they could get it done; at some point the group comes to a decision and I sit back and supervise.

My strength as a leader is to project enough momentum, idealism, and enthusiasm to help lead others to follow. I also try to inspire people by finding their inner strengths and helping them to see what they are capable of. I can't push people. When placed in a position where I am required to do this, I become sleepy and withdrawn.

That's interesting. I am sort of similar but in a slightly different way. If I believe in the project I am working on then I lead by setting the course that things need to go down to reach the goal and then if other people follow me it's because I am sort of providing the focus, determination and ambition. But I also like to be observant and consider what people's strengths and weaknesses are and make sure they get to use the skills they are best at and like using and that someone else can cover their weaknesses (hopefully with their own strengths like some sort of jigsaw puzzle).

My empathy plays a powerful role as a leader. Empathy can be a powerful resource in a leadership position. It enables me to represent the group, to be able to synthesize their needs and form a cooperative whole.

Maybe that cooperative whole is what is the difference between INTJs and INFJs because I never look for that once I've determined where I am going. I'm reading a book on MBTI at them moment and that is one of the criticisms of INTJs in leadership roles - that they do everything themselves and don't include other people. I do that! So I guess you guys are much better at cooperation.

Last edited: