Braces

jdftx

Community Member
Nov 16, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6 sp/so/sx
Anyone ever have/had braces? I'm thinking of getting them. The problem I have though is that I'm most likely not going to be in one spot longer than 6-12 months at a time. Can you continue treatment at a new ortho after going to a new location? For instance getting them in the states and continuing to get them adjusted at other locations such as europe/middle east? Anyone have similar experiences?

Help!
:m075:

I doubt you can get them adjusted moving around like that, and if you can, I bet it'll cost you thousands over and above what they'd cost in the first place. I had braces, as a kid though, so I obviously saw the same guy and was in the same spot for the whole time I had them on. I can't remember the exact time, but I know I had them in grade 7 and 8, so at least 3/4 of a year, or waaay more.

If you're an adult with crooked teeth, decide whether or not its actually hurting how you live, or if you just want a cosmetic change. An example of the former is that you can't chew on one side because your teeth don't match up.

When I had braces, I went in to get them checked and have the elastics holding the wires to my brackets on my teeth changed every month. The length of time total you have to wear braces is relative to how badly out of alignment any of your teeth are. If you have one crazy tooth, way way out of whack, it could lengthen the whole time wearing them, dramatically. You'd have to get a guy to check them out and tell you how long first though. There is often prep stuff they have to do like removing teeth and adding spacers to make gaps where they need, which you need to wear a month straight then come back to get the actual braces put on, etc etc. Often you'll bounce back and forth between a dentist and the orthodontist a number of times in the beginning.

As for invisalignes, I have no clue.

I got my braces when I was 19. I am supposed to have them for 2 years, and I am now at the end of my treatment.

The downside, is the pain when they get tightened (but that doesn't last) and the few foods you're missing out on. Also, it takes forever to clean your teeth and it gets kinda annoying when you have little time on your hands.

The good side, you're really happy with your smile afterwards. :becky:

Hmm, I don't know about getting them when you move around so often, you could probably have your orthodontist write up a plan for the treatment that you can give to your new doctor when you move, but I don't know if that's a possibility where you live.

I have had braces, and I am glad I have had them. I had a gap between my front teeth, and I am glad that's gone.

Unless you could really use them, I would advise against trying to get them done through multiple doctors. Or at least talk to the first doctor about it, because I imagine this is going to be a hefty price, if practical at all.

I'm going to be moving between africa/middle east(possibly afghan/kuwait/iraq/dubai) and then to the states for 1 month at a time during the next few years. I'm thinking I may just have to do a weekend flight to dubai every 1-2 months to get them straightened =\ I have a coworker that has gotten his teeth adjusted out in town here (djibouti) but I'm not sure how that's going for him. I'm going to ask soon.

Thanks for the advice so far :)

I have crooked teeth, never had braces, never needed them. Although I'm sure if I did live in the states I'd have them slapped on. Yes, you could argue that I'm British but funnily enough we don't have bad teeth.

It's all down to culture. We don't find crooked or discoloured teeth that unattractive. My teeth are perfect, never had a filling. Yet they aren't perfectly white or straight.

So really, do you need braces? Or is it just vanity?

I have crooked teeth, never had braces, never needed them. Although I'm sure if I did live in the states I'd have them slapped on. Yes, you could argue that I'm British but funnily enough we don't have bad teeth.

It's all down to culture. We don't find crooked or discoloured teeth that unattractive. My teeth are perfect, never had a filling. Yet they aren't perfectly white or straight.

So really, do you need braces? Or is it just vanity?

Not so much on the top row, more so on the bottom for the fact the overcrowding is beginning to get rather annoying... Plus as I was told by my last dentist, it's making the gums slowly retreat!! :(

On the plus side when I smile, my bottom row doesn't show :p

Well is your bottom row any worse off than mine?

teethl.jpg

I've never had braces before. But I have busted out my two front teeth on the top. The nerves were all exposed and felt like I was getting shocked in the face when cool air hit them.

I had braces for something like 2.5 years. My mom worked with an Orthodontist so she was adamant about my sister and I getting them. If you're going to get them, make sure you will be dedicated to years or a life-time of wearing a retainer. I haven't worn mine in years, and two of my teeth have shifted. I also had to get a part of my inner lip lasered off because it was causing a gap in my teeth. I honestly don't care that much about the appearance of my teeth, and I've always had good dental hygiene. I've never had a cavity.

MF is right about having the wear the retainers. I didn't wear mine as much as I should and one tooth moved a little out of line. I still have the retainer, and if I put it in for a few days things start to look better.