Beauty in sadness | INFJ Forum

Beauty in sadness

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
Have you ever felt attracted to sad things, or sad people? Felt like there was something beautiful in sadness?

Hope this isn't too weird a question, but i've heard this sentiment frequently (and it seems to be a common theme in songs and poems), I wanted to explore it further.

Here is a music piece on the theme of beauty in sadness:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q59R28jHetM"]YouTube- Spiky - Whimsical Fantasy - Beauty Of Sadness[/ame]

True sadness, yes. It is a moment,that passes, and within that moment is a lot of beauty and humanity. I wouldn't say I'm drawn to sad things and people, but being somewhat empathic means that I absorb and reflect the sadness around me. The same can be said for moments of pure happiness. It's two sides of a coin: both sides being beautiful, attractive and reflective in their polarity, and just as it is possible,and inevitable to hold both sides of a coin in your hand, it is possible to feel perfect sadness and happiness at the same time.

Reactions: laurie
Japanese TV dramas (and even some anime) frequently have a major streak of sadness running straight through the main plot. Usually things get resolved at the VERY end of the last episode but, inevitably, someone WILL die.

In Japanese, this is called 切ない (setsunai) which basically means 'said' but it also has a touch of the vanity and hopelessness about the whole situation itself.

Like Elf, I'm not drawn to sad people. I don't want to be around them. But any many things; the weather, music, art, movies (especially Japanese) I'm drawn to the sad stuff more and more. Not sure why.

I can definitely see beauty in sadness but I haven't really been attracted to sad things or people. It usually gets to me more when I witness it from a somewhat detached situation, like on TV or documentaries, or even depicted by fictional characters. In real life it is so much more painful and I guess I become more numb to it as if in a self-protection mode. Sometimes it's very difficult to witness and I can feel their sadness so much and I almost feel guilty for "enjoying" it in others during it, because it is, indeed, quite beautiful. I do feel for sad people and I truly wish I could help them find happiness but I know that there's really nothing I can do to force it, so I try to steer clear from it in reality. I can let the sadness flow through me but I try not to dwell on it, I don't like the place I enter by letting it affect me too much because I already know that it can be dangerous for me.

Last edited:
this kinda goes along with our comfortable sadness thread too...

but yes...

If the sadness is fleeting, yes, in a way, because I like making people happier than they were before. If I were around a person who seemed sad, it would be very difficult for me to not attempt to intervene.

If it's more of a lasting thing, however, it becomes very draining. It is frustrating to me that I can't make everyone in the world happy, as illogical as that may sound. And for some people, there really is nothing you can do.

I don't necessarily see a beauty in sadness. I think it can be a strength to be able to feel a certain degree of sadness, to have such deep emotions. And I think you can learn from painful situations. But I don't look at sadness as anything to admire, as if it is some sort of art form.

yes, though it's hard for me to explain why. I feel attracted especially to sad music, it seems like there is a certain innate beauty in it for me...idk, but it's not a weird question at all.

I think life holds an odd mixture of joy and sadness, passion and loss, victory and failure, closeness and the far, far away. I like things (musically especially, but not only) that encompasses all this. It has a certain nobility that the frivolous lacks.

Reactions: Gaze
A while back I would have answered yes without a second thought. But not so much now.
Nowadays I'm drawn to deep beauty in art and music - something untouchable and dream-like - not the sadness. Sadness doesn't repulse me, but I think I'd prefer to avoid it (after being depressed for two years). I prefer the happier side of things.

Reactions: Puck
I am greatly attracted to sad things.

Good quote: 'Sad is happy for deep people'

I don't agree with it completely, but I believe that there is an element of truth in it.

Sad people repel me, and occasionally intrigue me. Sad things are, indeed, beautiful. Sad music can move me to great emotion, like nothing else.
Sad music invoked the deepest emotion I have ever felt.

I believe sadness represents part of humanity in its truest form. When people, or objects, or sounds, are sad, and you are witnessing it, you are witnessing them with no pretenses, and shields.

Sadness is beautiful.

I used to be so drawn to sadness in media - movies, film, tv shows, because I saw something unique and touching I could relate to. There was a purity of feeling and emotion in moments of suffering or moments of complete indulgence in euphoria. But i realized that it was a bit depressing. It pulled me into a dark place, which I don't plan to visit anytime soon. So, today i'm kinda liking beauty in bright, shiny, lively things :D

I'm concious of the fact I look for sadness in others. I have always done it and I probably always will. I think that there is an honesty in sadness that no other emotion can possibly compete with. All emotions have some sadness hidden away in them. No one can be completely happy or hateful. The happy person has a doubt and the angry person wishes they weren't so angry.
I used to make myself sad by thinking of different things. It was the perfect time to write and reflect. I'm not the most emotional person and I felt like it was the deepest feeling I could pull from inside myself.

Yes. It's mostly people...because I want to help them overcome their feelings of sadness.

sadness is cleansing. it forces your emotions to look inwards and to find peace again. it's like rain when your car is dirty.

Sadness does possess its beauty. My three favorite movies are all melancholy, yet I love watching them. The truth in sadness, and the connection particularly empathetic people feel to this emotion is perhaps the reason for our seeing beauty in sadness.

I think it's a bad habit to be addicted to sadness. While it's healthy to appreciate it, too much can affect your life and the life of your siblings very badly.

Some times I feel like that if I can experience the sadness of others, then they are not alone in their sadness.

Or even like Hina Kagiyama, a fictional Curse Goddess in the Touhou universe. She takes the misfortune of humans onto herself in order to protect them.

I wise man said long ago, "Sorrow is better than laughter; for by the sadness of the countenance, the heart is made stronger." or something like that. Better, not stronger. Laughter is the best medicine? "He was a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and we hid as it were our faces from him." I would say my own sorrow sometimes keeps me on the subject a long time.