Beauties talking beauty | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Beauties talking beauty

Honestly you just have to experiment with products. Some products work for some people but not so much for others. It all depends on the porosity, texture/curl type, and how thick your hair is. I second the no sulfate shampoo and clarify once a week. Deep condition if needed. Experiment experiment experiment. Air dry, diffuse, etc. Everyone has their own combination that works. A great source for information on products and hair type is naturallycurly.com...I spent like a whole month on there in my teen years trying to discover how to tame my hair. I tried Devacurl, (which is pretty popular) and didn't like it. I pretty much use whatever sulfate free shampoo and conditioner I can get my hands on at the store. I want to try ouidad products but at the moment I am too lazy to order it. The only leave in cream I've liked is the Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves (hahah nice name, right?). It's just cheap grocery store stuff...but it works okay. I hate crunch, so gel is a no for me, and I hate it so much when it gets greasy and weighed down. There is no worse feeling.

The thing I haven't perfected is straightening my hair. It just never looks as good as when the hair stylist does it.

I've never heard of clarifying my hair! I am so behind!

I'm going to be lost on that website!

OMG! Thank you for all the good tips! i'm going to have to see if they sell this locally- i might have to order it online!

I've never tried apple cider vinegar...but I wonder if my lack of curl bounce is because I'm not using the proper products on it. [MENTION=7838]SpecialEdition[/MENTION] I also have super fine hair, but I've been lathering on the conditioner thinking it'll help defrizz my curls- do you think it's just weighing it down?

Dear lord- there's a science behind curly hair!

What cuts do you guys ask for? Is layered the way to go? I have mid-long hair, super fine, and normally just get a few layers because it'll get too thinned out if I do anything more.

Get a shit ton of layers in your hair. It helps add shape and volume without weighing your hair down. Though I am no authority on this as I haven't bothered with a proper hair cut in years. As for the conditioner it might be. I never condition my crown. Ever.

[video=youtube;G-MrPcRiE7I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-MrPcRiE7I[/video]

This is my goal!!

This thread...

OMG! Thank you for all the good tips! i'm going to have to see if they sell this locally- i might have to order it online!

I've never tried apple cider vinegar...but I wonder if my lack of curl bounce is because I'm not using the proper products on it. @SpecialEdition I also have super fine hair, but I've been lathering on the conditioner thinking it'll help defrizz my curls- do you think it's just weighing it down?

Dear lord- there's a science behind curly hair!

What cuts do you guys ask for? Is layered the way to go? I have mid-long hair, super fine, and normally just get a few layers because it'll get too thinned out if I do anything more.

They have it everywhere from Walgreens to CVS to Rite aid and even Target (they're the cheapest and have them in trial sizes so you can see how you like it). I do suggest using the fine hair one for curly girls since that is your hair texture. It looks like this: http://imanaturalchick.com/product-vault/shea-moisture/

Since you're having a lot of product buildup in your hair, it sounds like you need to clarify it asap. This article is AMAZEBALLS and helped me: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/clarifying-no-poo/hair-rinse-with-apple-cider-vinegar/

Instead of leave in conditioner, you can try a mousse or some cream to define and condition curls. It's more lightweight on the hair, especially for summer. I know this may sounds crazy but you can actually put cold aloe vera gel on your hair (don't use much) and use it to define & condition curls. It's natural and smells nice :) It's greattt for fine hair and won't weigh it down.

Since you have fine hair, I wouldn't get toooo many layers, just a couple... and also suggest some blunt cuts to make your hair look full. Ask your stylist though what she suggests though.

Ah! I actually have this! OMG- I would never have thought to tease the crown! I would have thought it would break up the curls...seriously...I'm feeling so liberated right now! I'm going to rock my lionmane!

Nah not if you tease by sections and a little at the roots. And then you gotta spray a lil hairspray to hold the volume in. VOILA! Hot sexy woohoooo hair!

The most recent beauty-tip discovery that I made were those cocnerning eyebrows. For some reason, I always ignored the age old adage about eyebrows framing the face. I'd always keep mine neat and tidy with a tweezer and make sure they'd never grow too busy, but I never bothered filling them in. Whenever I did, it looked like I drew them in with a magic marker... all I needed was a squiggly villainous mustache.

That was, until, I discovered eyebrow stencils. Oh my goodness, what a difference. Especially when you find a style/method that works for you. It can radically enhance your look. Especially if you go light on the eye make-up.

Here's a how-to video demonstrating one style of stencil. If you haven't given these a try yet, do yourself a favor and at least experiment. A basic brow stencil kit is like $6-8 at Walmart and it will last you for ages.

[video=youtube;5jq-Kd6dY40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jq-Kd6dY40[/video]

Last edited:
The most recent beauty-tip discovery that I made were those cocnerning eyebrows. For some reason, I always ignored the age old adage about eyebrows framing the face. I'd always keep mine neat and tidy with a tweezer and make sure they'd never grow too busy, but I never bothered filling them in. Whenever I did, it looked like I drew them in with a magic marker... all I needed was a squiggly villainous mustache.

That was, until, I discovered eyebrow stencils. Oh my goodness, what a difference. Especially when you find a style/method that works for you. It can radically enhance your look. Especially if you go light on the eye make-up.

Here's a how-to video demonstrating one style of stencil. If you haven't given these a try yet, do yourself a favor and at least experiment. A basic brow stencil kit is like $6-8 at Walmart and it will last you for ages.

[video=youtube;5jq-Kd6dY40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jq-Kd6dY40[/video]

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around christmas I began to fill mine in - i don't really have any cause of my light hair....and just filling them in makes a difference!

I use powder and an angled brush. It looks pretty natural - and now I notice when I don't fill them in.

It's amazing how something so simple changes your entire face.

I must say, I'm too scared to trim my eyebrows. Any tips to get over it? I've never done a lot of stuff too them...

edit: her eyebrows are amazing!

I must say, I'm too scared to trim my eyebrows. Any tips to get over it? I've never done a lot of stuff too them...

It's difficult to give tips on this because everyone's brows are different. I usually just use a clean mascara wand to brush them upwards and trim where it seems out of place; the ones nearest to my bridge of my nose I had a lot more practice getting right,

I think the main tip is just to get to know how the hairs lay on the brow on your default shape and your preferred shape. Brush 'em one way, then the other way, and observe what looks out of place always and out of place sometimes and judge then. You may make a mistake, but it's no big deal. It's just hair. It'll grow back in two or three days anyway and you can just fill in any flaws in the meantime.

It's difficult to give tips on this because everyone's brows are different. I usually just use a clean mascara wand to brush them upwards and trim where it seems out of place; the ones nearest to my bridge of my nose I had a lot more practice getting right,

I think the main tip is just to get to know how the hairs lay on the brow on your default shape and your preferred shape. Brush 'em one way, then the other way, and observe what looks out of place always and out of place sometimes and judge then. You may make a mistake, but it's no big deal. It's just hair. It'll grow back in two or three days anyway and you can just fill in any flaws in the meantime.

Really? That quick?

Oh my...that puts things into perspective. I just assumed I would be walking around with half an eyebrow for a good month or so!

Really? That quick?

Oh my...that puts things into perspective. I just assumed I would be walking around with half an eyebrow for a good month or so!

Well, you're not plucking it out. You're just trimming it!

What about Favorite Makeup Brushes??? / Makeup Applicators??​

So many make-up people rave about the Real Techniques stippling brush. Any of you ladies tried it? Maybe I just don't care for stippling brushes. Yes. I am using it correctly. Did my research and errythang. It's just not my fav way to apply make-up. Maybe that'll change in the future...... I've read that their Expert Face Brush is a must have. Ulta has a BOGO 50% off deal right now... but I only want one, dangit!! >_<

Have you guys tried The Beauty Blender? You think it's worth all of the hype?
Just got my first one last month and I LOVE IT! Made the mistake of washing it with regular (non beauty blender brand) soap though, and it fell apart on me. Sephora gave me a new one, but I also bought the *right* cleaner. Sephora gal said most soaps are made up of molecules that are bigger than the grooves in the blender, so they expand the sponge and it then breaks up/crumbles. If it falls apart on me again, I'll move onto something else. Performance wise though, this thing really is fabulous!

Been looking into Sigma brushes. And people seem to think highly of MAC brushes. I only have one (186 Large Angled Contour Brush), it's not my *favorite*. I like it ok... maybe I just need more practice with it. idk.

I have a cheapy ELF brush for packing eyeshadow onto the lid, but there's a lot of fall out with it. So, meh.

Most of my makeup brushes are CHANEL, from years ago. Over half of them are real hair. 'Feel like I prefer synthetic fibers now though. What's your take on real hair vs synthetic fibers? Not 'What is the difference between them?' but: What do you prefer and why? The make-up gal at Nordstrom told me to condition my brushes and that I'll like them better because they won't be so dry. So I'm gonna try using a mix of avocado oil and dawn, see how that goes.^^

Speaking of cleaning brushes, what do you use to clean your brushes? I returned the Sephora brand because I hated the smell. Home-made probably works just as good (if not better), and it's much cheaper!

Your turn, ladies. What do you use for applying makeup?
What do you love? What do you hate? Tips?​
Not gonna lie, I am spoiled in the make up brush department. I have had pretty much all of the Bare Minerals brushes since I was 16, and they are FANTASTIC. I love being able to adjust level of coverage just by changing my brush. I probably use my concealer brush most often because that's usually all I need...especially in the hot months. In the winter months, I switch to a cream based foundation and my fingers do all the work...or sometimes my Sonia kusak foundation sponge.
On days, I go the whole nine yards with my makeup, this is the order I go in:
Dome shaped eye shadow brush
Handy kabuki brush
Max coverage concealer brush
Angled blush brush
Soft focus face or heavenly face brush
Flawless face brush.

I'm sorry to say this, but ELF brushes don't really do well for me, especially since they are synthetic bristles which make my face itchy. I usually reserve them for my touch ups on the go.

This world of having any hair texture/volume to speak of is exotic and fascinating to me.

I really haven't paid all that much attention to make up applicators, to be honest. Once upon a time, I used to work behind the beauty counter at the national drugstore chain around here and I got a master set from their line in a promo kit (Quo Professional). They all basically look like this:

IMG_5975.jpg

I don't really have anything to compare it to, considering this is the only line of brushes that I've ever used, but they're durable and they have lasted me almost a decade now (with proper care and cleaning, no worries). I don't have any complaints about application or fall out. I've only ever had to replace the powder brush, which I use pretty much every day, and I've since picked up the same all-over shadow and crease brushes to supplement my collection. But really, I don't feel like I've been lacking in this department.

I have never used a stippling brush before. I had to look up what it was.

Speaking of cleaning brushes, what do you use to clean your brushes? I returned the Sephora brand because I hated the smell. Home-made probably works just as good (if not better), and it's much cheaper!

I have a brush cleaner, again, from Quo. For a while, I just used baby shampoo and water.

Last edited:
This world of having any hair texture/volume to speak of is exotic and fascinating to me.

And I am jealous of your hair!

What about Favorite Makeup Brushes??? / Makeup Applicators??​

So many make-up people rave about the Real Techniques stippling brush. Any of you ladies tried it? Maybe I just don't care for stippling brushes. Yes. I am using it correctly. Did my research and errythang. It's just not my fav way to apply make-up. Maybe that'll change in the future...... I've read that their Expert Face Brush is a must have. Ulta has a BOGO 50% off deal right now... but I only want one, dangit!! >_<

Have you guys tried The Beauty Blender? You think it's worth all of the hype?
Just got my first one last month and I LOVE IT! Made the mistake of washing it with regular (non beauty blender brand) soap though, and it fell apart on me. Sephora gave me a new one, but I also bought the *right* cleaner. Sephora gal said most soaps are made up of molecules that are bigger than the grooves in the blender, so they expand the sponge and it then breaks up/crumbles. If it falls apart on me again, I'll move onto something else. Performance wise though, this thing really is fabulous!

Been looking into Sigma brushes. And people seem to think highly of MAC brushes. I only have one (186 Large Angled Contour Brush), it's not my *favorite*. I like it ok... maybe I just need more practice with it. idk.

I have a cheapy ELF brush for packing eyeshadow onto the lid, but there's a lot of fall out with it. So, meh.

Most of my makeup brushes are CHANEL, from years ago. Over half of them are real hair. 'Feel like I prefer synthetic fibers now though. What's your take on real hair vs synthetic fibers? Not 'What is the difference between them?' but: What do you prefer and why? The make-up gal at Nordstrom told me to condition my brushes and that I'll like them better because they won't be so dry. So I'm gonna try using a mix of avocado oil and dawn, see how that goes.^^

Your turn, ladies. What do you use for applying makeup?
What do you love? What do you hate? Tips?​

Great post!

I'm suuuuper cheap, so I stick to the Sephora brand of brushes. EXCEPT- I have one Body Shop brush that I bought years and years ago and I absolutely LOVE it. If I had the money, I would buy more from them. I also have an urban decay brush that came with a set of eye shadows- and I use that quite often (except, there's two ends, and I have no idea what to do with the one that's a bit harder!)

This is the end I don't know what to do with!

Urban-Decay-Naked-3-Eyeshadow-Palette-35.jpg

As for cleaning, I'm terrible at it, and will often just use a little bit of warm water and some shampoo. They've held up so far!

Brushes are really confusing to me, if I'm honest. There's SO many of them, and they all look like they do the same thing.

[MENTION=9054]BrightWhiteHeart[/MENTION]

In your blog you did winged eyeliner (LOVED IT!)...what kind of eyeliner do you prefer?

I liked the ease of liquid, but find that I go through stages of thinking it's a bit too harsh.

My fave eyeliner is a powder that I got in the states that I can't find here-

smashbox.jpg

I like the soft look of it on, and it's extremely easy to apply.

I have several of these guys:

Smashbox-eyeliner-giveaway-glamourpage-300x300.jpg

People rave by them, but I don't like them. I find they're difficult to apply without stretching my entire eyelid out, and they don't wear long.

I haven't tried applying eyeliner with an angled brush- I think I might like it.

What do you girls use? Techniques? Brands? Advice?

Also, do you apply to the bottom lid? I use to use a nude or white on the bottom, but found that it wouldn't last long enough to make it worth my time. I always stuck to the pencil liners though..maybe that was my problem!

I am eax de naturel . . . in terms of face and hair. I still don't wear makeup even if I go out. But I wish I wore foundation more often. It would even out my complexion and soften some of the spots. Give a smoother look. Not a fan of makeup which calls too much attention to my face. I like to blend in, so not comfortable with features standing out too much. On a good day, I've been told I have a pretty face, however round like the sun it seems to be :D. I think I wouldn't mind wearing more eye shadow too. The most I wear is lip gloss because my lips get dry easily. Any recommendations for good lip gloss brands?