Beauties talking beauty

say what

I like soft things...so soft!
Jan 8, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4..maybe?
I see a lot of people posting things about makeup, hair, nails, etc. and thought instead of creeping around on people's blogs, maybe we could have a place where we post questions, tips, photos, etc.

Ok...I have curly hair that I straighten everyday. But I'm getting tired of doing it, and I find in the summer with all the muggy weather, my straight hair always goes crazy!

How do you guys wear curly hair? If I part it in the middle it looks super funny. If I do it on the side, I look like I'm from the 80's. If I tie it back, I look like an SOS pad. The only thing I can seem to do it pin my bangs back...but I feel like a poodle!

How do I wear mah hair?

10462582_10100401375752519_65023945426881501_n.jpg

Reactions: Stu
Can we see a picture of the side part? That's what most curlies do, me included, though my hair is way curlier than yours.

I can look sexy when I'm sleep deprived and in the mood to pass out. It's because I'm young and have a very ADHD "don't give a crap what you think" attitude.

Curly hair all the way! I can get messy curly just by washing my hair, brushing it, then ruffling it up with some moose or curling spray. I don't use a curler.

Straightening my hair = low self esteem. My hair gets damaged, doesn't feel comfortable, gets frizzy... Did I mention I have ADD? I don't have the patience to straighten my hair. Ah! And those evil straighteners burn!

So, curly or ponytail are my options. There's a third actually. If I wear one of my dozens of hats, my hair can be super messy and still look sexy with no real work at all ;)

Makeup? Only if I feel like it. See for now at least I'm attracted to the woman, not to her makeup. I have the same standard for myself :p

Very important is to look fresh. It's bad joojoo to look like you hadn't showered for two days. You also feel sexy after you shower. So clean clothes, clean hair, clean face, clean body = you're well on your way to looking sexy and irresistible!

I think it largely depends on your facial shape and structure, the kind of curls you have and how your hair colour suits your face and skin-tone.

Oh, and yes, personal taste.

I can see you sporting a cute hair-band with your bangs pulled back and pushed forward in a slight 'pouf.' I think you'd also look pretty awesome with an up-do and some piece-y curls around your face; especially with those glasses (I love the frame!) or any kind of hair do that pulls your hair back away from your face, like a half-up, half-down kind of thing with a barrette at the back. Barrettes or bobby pins on the side would work too. In my opinion, it's not just the poodle thing (lol, I have the same feeling about the style); the hair-pin at the top would give you too much body around your face at the length you have it at the moment.

Last edited:
I have a shit ton of curly hair. I side part. I middle part. I push it all back. I tie it into a massive bun. I side braid it.

For the frizz, I just buy overly expensive shampoos and conditioners to semi-tame it. I ONLY shampoo the roots of my hair so as to avoid drying out. Technically speaking us ladies with curly hair should not be shampooing much at all, but fuck it I do it anyway.

On the weekend I will take photos of the different ways that I wear my mass of hair for examples.

Can we see a picture of the side part? That's what most curlies do, me included, though my hair is way curlier than yours.

Malin-Akerman-Rock-of-Ages.jpg

That's what it looks like parted to the side. I would post a picture, but i have it up and I'm lazy!

I can look sexy when I'm sleep deprived and in the mood to pass out. It's because I'm young and have a very ADHD "don't give a crap what you think" attitude.

Curly hair all the way! I can get messy curly just by washing my hair, brushing it, then ruffling it up with some moose or curling spray. I don't use a curler.

Straightening my hair = low self esteem. My hair gets damaged, doesn't feel comfortable, gets frizzy... Did I mention I have ADD? I don't have the patience to straighten my hair. Ah! And those evil straighteners burn!

So, curly or ponytail are my options. There's a third actually. If I wear one of my dozens of hats, my hair can be super messy and still look sexy with no real work at all ;)

Makeup? Only if I feel like it. See for now at least I'm attracted to the woman, not to her makeup. I have the same standard for myself :p

Very important is to look fresh. It's bad joojoo to look like you hadn't showered for two days. You also feel sexy after you shower. So clean clothes, clean hair, clean face, clean body = you're well on your way to looking sexy and irresistible!

It's so funny- I feel SOO much better about myself when I have straight hair. I don't know why. I have always straightened my hair, and it's just how I'm more comfortable! But I get a lot of compliments on the curly.

I like your motto on always looking and feeling clean and fresh! I agree! Very important!

I never use to wear makeup...but I find I feel much better with it on. Not a whole lot, but there's something that makes me feel very grownup and sexy with it!

I think it largely depends on your facial shape and structure, the kind of curls you have and how your hair colour suits your face and skin-tone.

Oh, and yes, personal taste.

I can see you sporting a cute hair-band with your bangs pulled back and pushed forward in a slight 'pouf.' I think you'd also look pretty awesome with an up-do and some piece-y curls around your face; especially with those glasses (I love the frame!) or any kind of hair do that pulls your hair back away from your face, like a half-up, half-down kind of thing with a barrette at the back. Barrettes or bobby pins on the side would work too. In my opinion, it's not just the poodle thing (lol, I have the same feeling about the style); the hair-pin at the top would give you too much body around your face at the length you have it at the moment.

Oh! I have to try the up-do! That sounds awesome! The only thing is taming the side friz- but I guess if the curls are there, that does it for me! OOh! That makes me think of a very soft and feminine look!

I do find the body is too much! I'm not use to so much around my round face- I feel it adds extra pounds to my face! But I like the idea of half up- pulling it away from my face, and yet maintaining the body at the top - because if I don't, I just have a super flat head! haha! That's what I find happens when I part it in the middle- it's flat on top, and suuuuper puffy to the sides!

Reactions: Bird
I have a shit ton of curly hair. I side part. I middle part. I push it all back. I tie it into a massive bun. I side braid it.

For the frizz, I just buy overly expensive shampoos and conditioners to semi-tame it. I ONLY shampoo the roots of my hair so as to avoid drying out. Technically speaking us ladies with curly hair should not be shampooing much at all, but fuck it I do it anyway.

On the weekend I will take photos of the different ways that I wear my mass of hair for examples.

BLESS YOU!

Great tips on not shampooing it daily. I'm having a hard time managing product in it, so that the curls aren't crunchy. I imagine I likely don't have the right product. It's either no product, and it's crazy every, or product and it's flat and crunchy. Although, I did try a bit of mousse today at the roots- I liked that it gave my part more body, as it's often so flat!

Do you use leave in conditioner?

Curly hair has great texture in an up-do, moreso than ram-rod straight hair (which, without some teasing or arrangements, almost always looks like its slicked down...or it does for me anyway. I can't even curl my hair because it'll fall flat in like half an hour anyway). I personally like the more whispy, feminine kind of hair styles.

Screen-shot-2011-11-09-at-3.30.15-PM.jpg
ashley-olsen-very-curly-blonde-hair-in-simple-updo.jpg
curly-formal-updos-11.jpg

long-natural-wavy-hairstyles-2012ponytail-hairstyles--natural-curly-hair-styles-x8g4u7yk.jpg
french-crown-braid-curly-hairstyle.jpg
af44-700x462.jpg
half-up-updo-wavy-curly-hairjpg.jpg

7b22a8721f5a232148a0820491a8e0f9.jpg
naturally+curly+updo.jpg

Last edited:
For curly hair, stay away from shampoos with sulfates because they dry the hair and cause frizz. Also, since it's summer, maybe skip conditioner and invest in a good leave-in product, and use a clairifying shampoo once a week.

Reactions: say what
ok! Time to add some new hair into my routine!

I have thick and curly hair... (I blame my Italian/Puerto Rican family... they're all hairy as fuck). I honestly only brush my hair 2-3 a week. I also find that getting it cut every 3-4 months helps so much. I get layers in my hair to make it more manageable or else its WAY too thick and weighs heavy. So maybe next time you get your haircut, you can ask for long/medium layers in your hair. It seriously makes it sooo much easier when it comes to drying, brushing, and just grooming curly/thick hair in general.

I'm VERY picky when it comes to shampoo/conditioner. I refuse to use drugstore brands unless they have natural ingredients. You gotta check for sulfates, alcohol, bark, potassium, etc ingredients that are very drying on hair in general and strip it of it's natural oils. Generally, curly/thick can be dry so you wanna invest in a shampoo/conditioner that is water based (make sure it's the first ingredient) since it will lock in moisture to the hair follicles and won't make them look "crunchy". I use these products by Shea Moisture because they're an amazing brand with natural ingredients and know how to cater to a woman's hair. It's mainly made for "ethnic women" but if you have curly and/or dry hair, it's a MUST to try:

shea-moisture-coconut-hibiscus-curl-collection.jpg

I seriously use all these products (except the hold & shine moisture mist, I just use rosewater or tea tree oil on it but I'm sure the mist is awesome). When my hair is damp, I use a dime size amount of curl enhancing smoothie and it's amazing. Shea Moisture is a lil pricey but I only need a quarter size amount for my medium length hair. Plus, I only shampoo/conditioner every 2-3 days as well. It's harder for our hair to transition from regular drugstore products to natural ones so in between transitioning, I just washed my hair with 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and a water mixed in. It was a great clarifier for my hair and restored PH balance. It's great to do at least once a month so our curly hair doesn't have too much build up. I sleep with my hair in a braid too since the pillow covers can be rough on it but I find I wake up with more defined and less frizzy curls.

Attachments

• shea-moisture-coconut-hibiscus-curl-collection.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 2
I have thick and curly hair... (I blame my Italian/Puerto Rican family... they're all hairy as fuck). I honestly only brush my hair 2-3 a week. I also find that getting it cut every 3-4 months helps so much. I get layers in my hair to make it more manageable or else its WAY too thick and weighs heavy. So maybe next time you get your haircut, you can ask for long/medium layers in your hair. It seriously makes it sooo much easier when it comes to drying, brushing, and just grooming curly/thick hair in general.

I'm VERY picky when it comes to shampoo/conditioner. I refuse to use drugstore brands unless they have natural ingredients. You gotta check for sulfates, alcohol, bark, potassium, etc ingredients that are very drying on hair in general and strip it of it's natural oils. Generally, curly/thick can be dry so you wanna invest in a shampoo/conditioner that is water based (make sure it's the first ingredient) since it will lock in moisture to the hair follicles and won't make them look "crunchy". I use these products by Shea Moisture because they're an amazing brand with natural ingredients and know how to cater to a woman's hair. It's mainly made for "ethnic women" but if you have curly and/or dry hair, it's a MUST to try:

I seriously use all these products (except the hold & shine moisture mist, I just use rosewater or tea tree oil on it but I'm sure the mist is awesome). When my hair is damp, I use a dime size amount of curl enhancing smoothie and it's amazing. Shea Moisture is a lil pricey but I only need a quarter size amount for my medium length hair. Plus, I only shampoo/conditioner every 2-3 days as well. It's harder for our hair to transition from regular drugstore products to natural ones so in between transitioning, I just washed my hair with 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and a water mixed in. It was a great clarifier for my hair and restored PH balance. It's great to do at least once a month so our curly hair doesn't have too much build up. I sleep with my hair in a braid too since the pillow covers can be rough on it but I find I wake up with more defined and less frizzy curls.

YAS!^ I use that line too, it's amazing : )

BLESS YOU!

Great tips on not shampooing it daily. I'm having a hard time managing product in it, so that the curls aren't crunchy. I imagine I likely don't have the right product. It's either no product, and it's crazy every, or product and it's flat and crunchy. Although, I did try a bit of mousse today at the roots- I liked that it gave my part more body, as it's often so flat!

TEASING BRUSH!!!!! You can part your hair any which way you like and tease the crown a little to give it volume. It's a lifesaver and looks hot n' sexxxyyyyy.

http://kshe.com.au/uploads/images/v...d27136e95/d/r/dress_out_1__9.jpg&size=900x900

BLESS YOU!

Leave in conditioner... Nope. I have fine hair, I don't want that shit weighing it down.

I literally use like a dime sized drop of shampoo in my hair and then I put a lot of repairing conditioner from the nape of my neck all the way down through the rest of the hair. I leave it in there for as long as I can before rinsing it out. Then I don't really brush my hair. I just kind of pull it out of the towel and hope for the best.

Honestly you just have to experiment with products. Some products work for some people but not so much for others. It all depends on the porosity, texture/curl type, and how thick your hair is. I second the no sulfate shampoo and clarify once a week. Deep condition if needed. Experiment experiment experiment. Air dry, diffuse, etc. Everyone has their own combination that works. A great source for information on products and hair type is naturallycurly.com...I spent like a whole month on there in my teen years trying to discover how to tame my hair. I tried Devacurl, (which is pretty popular) and didn't like it. I pretty much use whatever sulfate free shampoo and conditioner I can get my hands on at the store. I want to try ouidad products but at the moment I am too lazy to order it. The only leave in cream I've liked is the Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves (hahah nice name, right?). It's just cheap grocery store stuff...but it works okay. I hate crunch, so gel is a no for me, and I hate it so much when it gets greasy and weighed down. There is no worse feeling.

The thing I haven't perfected is straightening my hair. It just never looks as good as when the hair stylist does it.

OMG! Thank you for all the good tips! i'm going to have to see if they sell this locally- i might have to order it online!

I've never tried apple cider vinegar...but I wonder if my lack of curl bounce is because I'm not using the proper products on it. [MENTION=7838]SpecialEdition[/MENTION] I also have super fine hair, but I've been lathering on the conditioner thinking it'll help defrizz my curls- do you think it's just weighing it down?

Dear lord- there's a science behind curly hair!

What cuts do you guys ask for? Is layered the way to go? I have mid-long hair, super fine, and normally just get a few layers because it'll get too thinned out if I do anything more.