Atheists and depression | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Atheists and depression

This is something basic, that atheism is the story of chaos...how it is possible you don't know this?

Anyone. Anyone is better than atheism, logically better. Any religion has some metaphysical fundamentals...atheism doesn't, therefore atheism is the worst of all worldviews.

To your first question I dont know, Im an athiest and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Your second statement also confuses me. Better than atheism? What do you mean by this? Also, "metaphysical fundamentals" what do you mean by this?

Religious people self flagellate their bodies but atheists self flagellate their souls

Is unfortunatly that we are in the part of history where atheists don't even know where are their place...they don't know how to see themselfs objectively. They don't even know their worldview...they just know they are atheists. This is the effect of the work of Sam Harris and Richard Dawkings I think.
I dont even know how to respond to this. So being labeled an atheist now means I belong to some group and am responsible for everything any atheist has ever done or not done?

To your first question I dont know, Im an athiest and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Your second statement also confuses me. Better than atheism? What do you mean by this? Also, "metaphysical fundamentals" what do you mean by this?

I have to agree with your confusion.

Wouldn't 'metaphysical foundations' be in complete contradiction to the principals of atheism?

It might be depressing for you, but others find the teachings of Christianity depressing. The content of what they are teaching likely has very little to do with their mental health. People aren't apt to follow something that they find is depressing or harmful to their health. To say that atheists are depressed because they find atheism depressing seems very illogical to me.
I didn't said atheists are depressed, I said atheism is depressing.
I even give some reasons of why atheists today are usualy not depressed, but rather seem to be quite happy.

You condemn people for making generalizations about religion, and then do the exact same things to atheism. I imagine you know very little about it, and also know very few atheists.
I didn't made any generalisation about atheism. Can you show where I did this?

Religious people self flagellate their bodies but atheists self flagellate their souls

If you replace 'flagellate' with flatulate, the sentence becomes even better! ;D

Reactions: muir
jesus_facepalm.png

I would imagine many atheists would disagree with you here
that shouldn't be any problem. The problem is wether what I said is true or not.
of course "many atheists" would disagree with me.

jesus_facepalm.png

I would imagine many atheists would disagree with you here

Especially since not believing in any gods doesn't have to mean not believing in any kind of order or higher power.

The concept of gods is vastly different in many cultures. In the west a god is personified as an anthropomorphic ultimate power, but in other cultures there isn't such a thing yet there's still otherworldly beings that one might call 'gods' but they're really not the same thing. In some cases they may just simply be mortals that live on another plane. In other cases they may be humans that ascended to being a deity, like Guan Yu for example.

I didn't said atheists are depressed, I said atheism is depressing.
I even give some reasons of why atheists today are usualy not depressed, but rather seem to be quite happy.

I didn't made any generalisation about atheism. Can you show where I did this?

Your last several posts are over generalizations about atheists and atheism.

And my point was that it is your own opinion that atheism is depressing- not all atheists find it depressing.

The issue is that atheism and religion are going to attract a range of people with a wealth of mental health disorders. To say that it's the cause or attracts certain mental illnesses, is very difficult to say...as so many factors attribute to mental health.

that shouldn't be any problem. The problem is wether what I said is true or not.
of course "many atheists" would disagree with me.

You think your statement is true, but the fact is - it's neither true nor false...it's just your opinion.

You think your statement is true, but the fact is - it's neither true nor false...it's just your opinion.
well if it is so, you statement also "it's just your opinion".

We can say that my mental health, along with others will always be a matter of opinion never fact.

Can any religious person here say that while believing in their god they have NEVER been depressed at any point?

I don't have the patience for a mature discussion here. I need to argumentate alot of what is just plain evident, yet most of the "atheists" here are ignorant of. So because I'm lazy, and I don't know if I can argumentate nicely whithout offending anyone, I think its better to stay out of this.

I don't have the patience for a mature discussion here. I need to argumentate alot of what is just plain evident, yet most of the "atheists" here are ignorant of. So because I'm lazy, and I don't know if I can argumentate nicely whithout offending anyone, I think its better to stay out of this.

Isnt that a way of saying you dont have an argument to stand on?

Sometimes I find it really difficult not to engage in these debates. Despite knowing that willful ignorance cannot be defeated with reason; despite knowing that close minds will stay closed without a desire to change; despite all the pointless debates I've had with similar narrow minded people, I still feel the need to get involved.

Reactions: Skarekrow
Sometimes I find it really difficult not to engage in these debates. Despite knowing that willful ignorance cannot be defeated with reason; despite knowing that close minds will stay closed without a desire to change; despite all the pointless debates I've had with similar narrow minded people, I still feel the need to get involved.

I know what you mean. I keep thinking, another day has passed, reason has taken hold and a mind that was not open before has a crack in it. I am constantly disappointed. I have faith though... ha!

Reactions: Tin Man

Despite so many debates your position has not shifted at all? Despite dealing with so many close-minded and ignorant people you still cannot engage others in anything but debate?
Perhaps inflexibility and ignorance are the order of the day when listening to and understanding various points of view is not possible.

Despite so many debates your position has not shifted at all? Despite dealing with so many close-minded and ignorant people you still cannot engage others in anything but debate?
Perhaps inflexibility and ignorance are the order of the day when listening to and understanding various points of view is not possible.

I engage in open minded exchange of ideas, but it's difficult to do this with people who refuse to accept any other ways of thinking.

What would you suggest when discussing with close minded people?