Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Aquarius

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Pisces

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • I Don't Know.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Illiterate? Probably. But let's use an example of a past civilization that used astrology; The Mayans. They understood time and space better than we do today. And they were master mathematicians. So I'm thinking they knew something. I wouldn't be so quick to knock their intelligence.

Anyhow, we obviously disagree. No big deal. I'm not here to prove you right or wrong or to put anyone down for their beliefs or to call anything nonsense. That wouldn't be nice.

you can be good at one thing, and be bad at another. saying the mayans were good at maths does not mean that they did not have a lot of nonsensical beliefs. im sure the mayans were pretty crap at medicine as we know it today and if they went in for astrology then im certain their idea of scientific method sucked - or at least, was poorly integrated with the rest of their ways of thinking about things.

i am not here to prove anyone as one thing or another and this really has no connection to any possible related judgments of that nature that i may or may not make on people. and whether or not i am "nice" to say it has no relation to whether or not those theories of personality are nonsense.

you can be good at one thing, and be bad at another. saying the mayans were good at maths does not mean that they did not have a lot of nonsensical beliefs. im sure the mayans were pretty crap at medicine as we know it today and if they went in for astrology then im certain their idea of scientific method sucked - or at least, was poorly integrated with the rest of their ways of thinking about things.

i am not here to prove anyone as one thing or another and this really has no connection to any possible related judgments of that nature that i may or may not make on people. and whether or not i am "nice" to say it has no relation to whether or not those theories of personality are nonsense.

The Mayans may not have had the medical technology that we do today, but they were known as excellent doctors for their time. It seems you are making assumptions about a lot of things that you don't seem to know much about.

And I never said that you weren't nice. I said that it wouldn't be nice if I called something nonsense or knocked another persons beliefs. I didn't come out and say you weren't nice. But I can see how you would think I was referring to something you wrote. So, okay.

Anyhow, like I said. No big deal.

The Mayans may not have had the medical technology that we do today, but they were known as excellent doctors for their time. It seems you are making assumptions about a lot of things that you don't seem to know much about.

And I never said that you weren't nice. I said that it wouldn't be nice if I called something nonsense or knocked another persons beliefs. I didn't come out and say you weren't nice. But I can see how you would think I was referring to something you wrote. So, okay.

Anyhow, like I said. No big deal.

i said nothing about the kinds of doctors they were for their time, i said that their medicine did not compare to medicine as we know it today. there is no assumption implicit in my remark. and your response regarding my assumptions does not address my point that being good at one thing does not mean you are good at another. maybe they were great at medicine, well whatever, who cares, that doesnt change their nonsensical astrological beliefs.

i had called these beliefs nonsense, and you said it was not nice to call other beliefs nonsense. how was i supposed to interpret that contextually, but that you were referring to what i said?

i assure you, whether or not you agree with me is not a big deal to me at all, and actually it makes no difference to me. im just debating the sense value of astrology. i maintain that taken seriously, it is nonsense that interferes in personality development in a way that is not constructive or helpful.

if peoples beliefs are worth having, then they can stand to be challenged. treating them like they cant stand being challenged, ie. stfu about them, is not genuinely respectful, it is condescending, because it treats those beliefs are though they are too weak to take the challenge. the respectful way to treat beliefs is to debate and challenge them. far be it from me to ever try to stop people from believing in what they choose to! and to be perfectly honest, (at least at this point in my life,) i completely refuse to debate about peoples dearly held religious beliefs, due to the fact that i have learned a deep respect of acts of faith. but what is inherently wrong with a debate?

perhaps it is not polite to challenge peoples beliefs. yes i accept, it is not polite, it is not "nice". however, this is an internet forum, which among other things, people use as a forum for debate on a range of matters. people expect to see a bit of debate when they come here, and it is likely that this is even a reason why they continue to come here. attacking someone personally for their beliefs is one thing. making generalisations about the intelligence (or other qualities) of individuals for believing something is a position that i do not personally subscribe to, and that i have not mentioned in my previous posts in this thread in any way at all. but apart from that, i dont think it is very relevant to say whether it is polite or impolite to debate these matters. it is part of the atmosphere of the forum and why people come here.

if peoples beliefs are worth having, then they can stand to be challenged. treating them like they cant stand being challenged, ie. stfu about them, is not genuinely respectful, it is condescending, because it treats those beliefs are though they are too weak to take the challenge. the respectful way to treat beliefs is to debate and challenge them. far be it from me to ever try to stop people from believing in what they choose to! and to be perfectly honest, (at least at this point in my life,) i completely refuse to debate about peoples dearly held religious beliefs, due to the fact that i have learned a deep respect of acts of faith. but what is inherently wrong with a debate?

perhaps it is not polite to challenge peoples beliefs. yes i accept, it is not polite, it is not "nice". however, this is an internet forum, which among other things, people use as a forum for debate on a range of matters. people expect to see a bit of debate when they come here, and it is likely that this is even a reason why they continue to come here. attacking someone personally for their beliefs is one thing. making generalisations about the intelligence (or other qualities) of individuals for believing something is a position that i do not personally subscribe to, and that i have not mentioned in my previous posts in this thread in any way at all. but apart from that, i dont think it is very relevant to say whether it is polite or impolite to debate these matters. it is part of the atmosphere of the forum and why people come here.

Did someone mention that there was anything wrong with debate? Is that what I wrote? Interesting that that is the way you viewed me giving an opinion opposing yours. I'm fine with challenge.

And I'm pretty sure that in debating a topic, one should respect another person's point of view, even while questioning it. I guess it's all about wording.

I'm hardly worked up about this, but it seems you might be. So I will let it go.

Did someone mention that there was anything wrong with debate? Is that what I wrote? Interesting. And I'm pretty sure that in debating a topic, one should respect another person's point of view, even while questioning it. I guess it's all about wording.

I'm hardly worked up about this, but it seems you might be. So I will let it go.

sure. if you are interested in actually discussing the arguments i raised, go ahead any time!

sure. if you are interested in actually discussing the arguments i raised, go ahead any time!

You seem pretty adamant in your disbelief of astrology.

You obviously have your mind made up and I'm not here to change it.

So have a good day! :)

Taurean here! :)

Reactions: Skarekrow